Anyone here a Wikipedia editor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Papillon

It's not that hard. You press the "Edit this page" button, then make your changes.

Edit: What changes do you want to make?

Oh cool, I thought there was more of a "process" to start editing.

There was an error in the list of frequent guests at Pickfair. Ed Wood was listed and he didn't even come to Hollywood until a decade after Pickford and Fairbanks divorced, and the parties were over. I guess someone thought that would be funny, and it was, but it had to go.

And now that I've poked around a little, I do see that some anonymous wag added that in and I could have just reverted it. This has been today's lesson, thank you Papillon.

I stopped trying to update Wikipedia when they kept editing the thread back a few minutes after I edited it.

Can you make a page for wikipedia? I kinda want to make an article about myself or my sketch team. I doubt you can just make one about anything though, huh?

Wikipedia articles have to comply with their "notability" policy. They define notability as having more than one reliable independent source talking about the subject. So if you or your sketch team's been discussed in more than one news article, television documentary, web review, etc, then your article will probably be able to stay. Otherwise, though, people will try to delete it pretty quickly.

The changes I make to wikipedia articles, no matter how accurate, never make it past a day :eek:rly:
I'll keep an eye on mine. I should have just reverted a previous edit but I'm a noob, and I'm sure they'll see that from my IP. I did write a pretty detailed reason for the edit, plus even I can see the original was added as a joke (from another anonymous IP), so for the sake of accuracy it should stay. I'll be interested to see if it doesn't.

Apparently they're going to be overhauling the editing process considerably but I can't remember where I read that now.

The BBC had an article about changes to the editing process. I think other news outlets would cover it too. Basically, they're trialing a process where edits to living people and existing organizations by new users or anonymous IPs will need approval before going in. This is to prevent potentially libelous content.

Yeah, i read that too, and apparently they're already doing that on the german version.

But it's only for living people and companies that still exist so you're safe ZM.

The BBC had an article about changes to the editing process. I think other news outlets would cover it too. Basically, they're trialing a process where edits to living people and existing organizations by new users or anonymous IPs will need approval before going in. This is to prevent potentially libelous content.
That's right, thank you. I remember there were a few examples of people who had had libelous content about them in Wikipedia picked up by news outlets and so forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.