Anyone wanna talk about Poker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The WSOP has been in full swing!
The main event is getting live coverage on ESPN2 (right now!)
Internet poker is dead in the States (boooo)

So, I've been thinking a lot about my ex-part-time-job slash failed-dreams. For those that don't know, I played a shitload of online poker in college! I placed high in several big tournaments, I had several 4-figure cashes, I always seemed on the cusp of winning "Fuck you money". But, I can't complain. I was able to pay for ~3 semesters of college, and I walked away from it with five figures. I also played well enough to get a staking deal, but that didn't work out very well. I didn't make any money and it kind of messed me up and made me play kind of bad and made it more of a job/grind for me. We broke it off, no ill feelings, and I burned through my former bankroll moving to Texas and being unemployed in ~this shitty economy~. I played a lot of live cash games in Vegas (maybe 20 hours' worth?) and was re-assured that I still got it, as I read people very well and won a lot of money. I ended up net down because I didn't have enough sense to leave the table when I was too drunk and/or tired. But when my mind was even half-sharp, I was still awesome.

I still very much want to win a WSOP bracelet and definitely think I'm good enough, and want to get better. I'm frustrated that it's basically impossible to practice anymore without going to Vegas/investing a lot of money into it. So, I dunno. It's been on my mind a lot, I felt like posting a thread. Anyone else play? Have a regular game? I've thought of trying to start a regular game with people from work, but am a little shy. I live really close to work and have a big table we could play at! But gotta work on the shy stuff.

I used to play regularly with my friends, but that started to fall apart. One of them, the moment he lost a hand, would just start betting recklessly and lose everything in a few turns, as though he didn't care or something. I didn't mind beating him, but it made for a lousy game. Coupled with a few other people-related problems... No more poker for me :(

I have not played in a long time. In high school I didn't have a lot of money to lose, combined with ALWAYS winning took the fun out of it a bit. I keep meaning to get a game together though.

I've been wanting to get a regular game going, but no one else seems interested. I always enjoyed poker, and I'm decent. I just wish I had more chances to play around here.

All the knowledge of Poker I have is from Red Dead Redemption where I played a TON. I still don't feel like I really get it though but damn I would love to.

Dave

Staff member
A friend of mine quit his job and worked the circuit for a while. He made enough money to live but found out that he was a "middle fish". He was good enough to win smaller tournies, but when he was playing with the big boys they fucked him up but good. He now has a regular job again and has a much lower stress level.

Status
Not open for further replies.