Export thread

Art "baww"

fade

fade

Whatever "baww" means.

For the 3 people in the world that follow my comic, you've probably noticed I've not updated it in a loooong time. Why you ask? Well, you probably didn't, but I'll answer anyway.

While I know it's not as dramatic as a relationship baww, I have been having some serious blockage of the artistic kind. It's the weirdest inverse relationship, too. I'm at the part of the story where things start moving very quickly, and real things start developing. I think that's actually part of the problem. I'm self-sabotaging a bit--something I'm famous for--I think. I've got the basic story planned out for ages, but turning that into a decently paced, visually interesting story is difficult. I think I like driving away any growing readership. Time was, back on the original image boards, Fade was actually in the top 10% of webcomics on the web, according to the indices. But I stopped updating, and down she went. Self-sabotage achieved. Success means pressure, pressure means stress, etc.

I need to buckle down and write, but something about that feels unnatural and forced. I like the organic feel of writing page-to-page with a overlain outline. But that leads to slow writing. Another issue I'm having is that I really actually like the art on the last few pages (which I rarely like), and I know by virtue of the story pieces to come that the next pages won't be interesting.

Finally, I've been reading tvtropes. That's bad for a writer, I think, because everything I think of seems to be overdone. I really want to tell the story and motivations of a gen-X superhero, even as gen-X fades into the adult wallpaper. I want some realism. I want the character to be a believable introvert, without resorting to stupid plots like "protagonist magically becomes extrovert, because somehow that's better".

Anyway, I don't know what kind of replies I expect if any, but it is cathartic to talk about it. My editor and I have spoken, but even though she can be harsh and cruel, I need a new perspective. Thanks.

GeneralOrder24

The solution to all "baww" problems is simply to do it. Yes, if you do, you risk failure, but if you don't, you embrace it.

Force yourself to continue. Even if it's bad, it's something, and you can always improve. Have a little faith in yourself. Yes, you may be doing something that's done before, but who cares. At least you're doing something, right?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Finally, I've been reading tvtropes. That's bad for a writer, I think, because everything I think of seems to be overdone. I really want to tell the story and motivations of a gen-X superhero, even as gen-X fades into the adult wallpaper. I want some realism. I want the character to be a believable introvert, without resorting to stupid plots like \"protagonist magically becomes extrovert, because somehow that's better\".
TV Tropes has an answer to your problem! After all, everyone knows that Tropes Are Not Bad! Yes... EVERYTHING has been done before. That doesn't make your work any less valid.

Bubble181

Bubble181

This won't help in the very least, I suppose, but I have read Fade i nthe past, and, due to the update schedule, I've pretty much given up on reading it...I assume you'll post it around here somewhere if/when it's moving again or finished a chapter or something, then I'll go back to read it. Sorry :-/
Hope you get out of your funk, though :)

fade

fade

It's not a surprise. I just assumed no one really followed it anymore. I have a problem with hiatuses. A good number of them are legitimate, unfortunately. My job doesn't exactly end when I come home. I had intended with the dawn of 09 to update at least a page a week (it's a little more involved than a cartoony 4 panel humor strip where 75% of the art is cut and paste--looking at you, Kurtz!). Ironically, 09 has been my worst year ever.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Well, yes, of course - I totally understand that there can be good reasons for hiatuses...But I find that, for comics that often go long times without updates, I get much more pleasure in reading them rarely, than I do from checking their sites every day/week. Same goes for goblins.com, for example. I check the page maybe once a month.

Shawn

Shawn

Considering this project is just for fun, there wouldn't be any harm in finding another form of inspiration such as bringing in someone else to help you write/brainstorm.

fade

fade

Well, yes, of course - I totally understand that there can be good reasons for hiatuses...But I find that, for comics that often go long times without updates, I get much more pleasure in reading them rarely, than I do from checking their sites every day/week. Same goes for goblins.com, for example. I check the page maybe once a month.
This actually isn't the first time I've been compared to Goblins. Guess I should check it out.