[Webcomic] Artist Voted Most Likely To Meet

Status
Not open for further replies.
A thought that came across in the discussion about how Il Tastemakerino is at Cons as compared to his online presence:

Who is one (or more) webcomic artists you'd actually like to meet, whether at a con, book signing, or whatever - and, of course, why?

I can give you two guys who are probably "most likely" to be the ones I'd end up meeting: Paul Taylor (Wapsi Square) and Jon Kovalic (Dork Tower). Paul, I've admired his work from afar and purchased numerous sketches from him - and there's this proximity thing going for him. Kovalic's got the same proximity thing, and I know him from his UW days (though only vaguely).

Two webcomic artists I'd love to meet (but probably won't in my lifetime) are Jeph Jacques (Questionable Content) and Phil & Kaja Foglio (Girl Genius). If WOTC hadn't yoinked GenCon from Milwaukee back in the '90's, I might have half a shot at meeting Phil.

As for Kurtz: I think I'd actually be intimidated to meet him. Mostly because I couldn't separate the online personality from the real person.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

I've never been a big art aficionado. While I can look at a drawing or a painting and find it beautiful or thought-provoking, I've almost never had a visceral, emotional response to a work of art. I've almost never looked at a piece of art and felt a gut-punch of "oh wow that's awesome."

I say "almost" because it's only ever happened with two artists. Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell. I once came across a book of their prints, flipped it open on a whim, and my jaw hit the floor.

I'd like to meet them, shake their hands, and tell them they do good work. I'd be very polite, because they could probably both beat me up if they wanted to.

I'd like to meet Rich Burlew. He just seems to be a guy that would be easy to get along with. Possibly Paul Southworth. Other than that, I'm not sure about any webcomic artist that I'd like to meet.

Comic book artists, there are several, Gary Frank, Sergio Aragones, Alex Ross, Brent Anderson and possibly as a surprise, Rob Liefeld.

If I could, I'd say Jack Kirby.

Ones still living? Stuart Immonen, George Perez, Sean Phillips, Dan Jurgens, and Darwyn Cooke.

I want to meet Chris Clairmont, and Arthur Adams. OH, and now that he's done comics, I can also say Joss Whedon.

Man, I am an X-Men fanboy.

The nice thing about being old and ex-Navy is I can say I'd met Claremont, Foglio, Aragones, and Kirby at SDCC when it was big, but before it was BIG. :)

I just had a thought, particularly with how well Avengers turned out, I'd LOVE to see a Joss Whedon scripted and directed X-men movie.

Kris Straub, Magnolia Porter, KC Green, Dave Kellett and Tom Siddell are the first to come to mind.

I just had a thought, particularly with how well Avengers turned out, I'd LOVE to see a Joss Whedon scripted and directed X-men movie.
Yeah I loved his Astonishing run, curious to see how he'd handle them in a movie and who he'd want for the roster.

Kris Straub, Magnolia Porter, KC Green, Dave Kellett and Tom Siddell are the first to come to mind.
I wonder what Green would be like in person. He's so self-hating in the comics, like, terrifyingly so, but I can't imagine that comes out when he's out and about in the world.

The one I'm most likely to meet? Travis Charest (since I've met him seemingly a half dozen times at shitty little Canadian cons).

The one I'd most like to? Sadly, probably Todd McFarlane. I want to know how some crackerass Albertan managed to pull off what he has with the limited talent he possessed.

Status
Not open for further replies.