Hylian

Hylian

ugh my head

Cajungal

Cajungal

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Baerdog

Baerdog

I was really, really hoping this was going to be an Onion article.

*headdesk*

Fun Size

Fun Size

Ironically, after proposing the legislation, he went out and ordered a hot dog with sauerkraut from a street vendor, only after being assured that the vendor had not added salt to his food.

Covar

Covar

At first I thought maybe this was one of those absurd bills that are proposed to make a point about how things are going to far. Then I saw the 'D' next to his name.

Baerdog

Baerdog

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

At first I thought maybe this was one of those absurd bills that are proposed to make a point about how things are going to far. Then I saw the 'R'' next to his name.
look I'm funny too

don't hot link gifs from places you don't have hosting, baer, we're lucky it wasn't goatse :O

Calleja

Calleja

.... his reasoning, even when admitting he did no research on the chemistry and use of salt, is that because his father consumed a lot of it he died, so therefor NO ONE should EVER eat salt!?

...can they seriously do that?!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Burn the heretic!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

My head nearly exploded from exposure to such concentrated stupid.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

.... his reasoning, even when admitting he did no research on the chemistry and use of salt, is that because his father consumed a lot of it he died, so therefor NO ONE should EVER eat salt!?

...can they seriously do that?!
It "should" fail easily. I hope it does anyway.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Fuck that guy.

figmentPez

figmentPez

ARGH! The stupid makes my head hurt!

Salt is not evil! (Nor is butter, lard, beef, cheese, eggs, etc.)

Salt blocks the taste of bitter flavors, so it's necessary for making healthy stuff like broccoli taste good. If restaurants end up putting broccoli in a pasturized-processed cheese-like sauce because they can't simply add salt to steamed broccoli, that's going to be much worse for health.

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

Ironically, after proposing the legislation, he went out and ordered a hot dog with sauerkraut from a street vendor, only after being assured that the vendor had not added salt to his food.
You think that's a joke, but

“'I think salt should be banned in restaurants. I ask if a dish has salt in it, and if I does, I get something else that doesn’t have salt,' Ortiz tells me, before going on to say that he has eaten, and expects he will continue to eat, among other things, ham, cheese and bread in restaurants, all of which contain salt."

@Li3n

@Li3n

He should replace all salt with Honey and Sugar... i'm sure he'll love it.

Vagabond

V.Bond

We should all replace salt, with High Fructose Corn Salt.

It comes from corn!

Dei

Dei

Salt on Broccoli? Ew. Butter yes, salt no. Even then I love broccoli plain and I think it's just a bad example of good uses of salt!

/derail

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Butter has LOADS of salt in it....

figmentPez

figmentPez

Salt on Broccoli? Ew. Butter yes, salt no. Even then I love broccoli plain and I think it's just a bad example of good uses of salt!

/derail
Butter? That had better be unsalted butter, or you'll be facing a $1,000 fine.

Dei

Dei

I don't buy salted butter actually!

fade

fade

Broccoli is best plain.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I don't buy salted butter actually!
Ewww... That stuff is okay for baking, but it's not something I'd want to spread on a some freshly baked bread, or melt over broccoli.

Calleja

Calleja

broccoli is best STEAMED and plain... raw, not so much.

Zappit

Zappit

But where can they put all that salt if they can't cook with it? OOOOh! Idea!

His lawn.

Calleja

Calleja

He does realize, also, that there's a SALT INDUSTRY that would pretty much be halved, if not more, in size if it was banned from restaurants?

Oh yeah, that's very good for the economy.

fade

fade

broccoli is best STEAMED and plain... raw, not so much.
Where's that WRONG! macro?

figmentPez

figmentPez

He does realize, also, that there's a SALT INDUSTRY that would pretty much be halved, if not more, in size if it was banned from restaurants?

I think the death of the restaurant industry would be a greater issue. There are some foods that just can't be made without salt. As the article states, bread will not have the same texture without salt. You can't have cheese, bacon, soy sauce and many other ingredients at all, without salt. Good luck making a tomato sauce without salt.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Not to play devil's advocate, but if this did go through, the savings in health care would dwarf any salt industry hardships.

Calleja

Calleja

...but that IS playing devil's advocate :humph:

Dave

Dave

My wife bought a bottle of water. I read the ingredients. One of them? Salt.

http://www.bevnet.com/reviews/dasani/Dasani_Bottled_Water#

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

water, magnesium sulfate, potassium chloride, salt

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

...but that IS playing devil's advocate :humph:
Well, I mean I don't LIKE to play Devil's Advocate since the no salt thing is hella stupid

Calleja

Calleja

You wish you were Keanu, charles, you wish.

Iaculus

So, anyone up for docking this guy's salary?

Gusto

Gusto

Good luck, Assembly Man!

figmentPez

figmentPez

My wife bought a bottle of water. I read the ingredients. One of them? Salt.

http://www.bevnet.com/reviews/dasani/Dasani_Bottled_Water#[COLOR=\"Silver\"]

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

[/COLOR]water, magnesium sulfate, potassium chloride, salt
Unless I'm mistaken three of those ingredients are salts. I wonder if the language of the bill specifically defines salt as sodium chloride, or if it actually applies to all salts.

Chibibar

heh....... if that bill passed, I would be SHOCKED. A lot of product use salt, even water (Yea. I saw Dave's post, but it is true!)

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Not to play devil's advocate, but if this did go through, the savings in health care would dwarf any salt industry hardships.[/QUOTE]

True. Because after destroying food as we know it, those retaining the will the live will be few in number.

Chibibar

Not to play devil's advocate, but if this did go through, the savings in health care would dwarf any salt industry hardships.[/QUOTE]

True. Because after destroying food as we know it, those retaining the will the live will be few in number.[/QUOTE]
Yea, You be surprise on how much salt is use is fast food (those will be the first to go) while some of you might be glad these places go, but I love in and out, Carl's Jr, and Taco Bueno.

Now Chinese food places would go too. Many place don't use MSG, but sub with salt. No salt? hmmm.. that is going to be tough.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Stupid-ass politician says stupid-ass things about matters he knows nothing about. News at 11.

Seriously, though, how stupid can a person get?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Now Chinese food places would go too. Many place don't use MSG, but sub with salt. No salt? hmmm.. that is going to be tough.
No soy sauce, either. No pickled ginger to go with sushi. No prepared mustard.

Heck, depending on how specific you want to get about "salt in any form" you'd have to rule out most ingredients for naturally containing sodium chloride, even vegetables. (Raw celery has almost as much sodium as canned tomato).

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Stupid-ass politician says stupid-ass things about matters he knows nothing about. News at 11.

Seriously, though, how stupid can a person get?
Saying something is one thing, that'll die down with the next news cycle. Introducing legislation on matters he knows not just nothing, but a dangerous degree of ignorance, is a whole different level of stupid.

Chibibar

No soy sauce, either. No pickled ginger to go with sushi. No prepared mustard.

Heck, depending on how specific you want to get about "salt in any form" you'd have to rule out most ingredients for naturally containing sodium chloride, even vegetables. (Raw celery has almost as much sodium as canned tomato).[/QUOTE]

Dude, take away my soy sauce and someone is going to get hurt ;)

Yea. If this proposal even try in Texas, I would be up and arms about it ,but I don't live in NY. Can you imagine no BBQ sauce? (do you see how much salt is in that thing?) We are Steak and BBQ country baby. Taking away people salsa, BBQ sauce, and steak rub and you are going to get a beating ;) (if not shot... we do have guns here)

Koko

No one likes it when I tell them how much salt in grams is in what they're eating.
Same thing goes with hearing how much sugar and fat they're consuming in ounces

For example, friend of mine got a Double Baconator & Frosty at Wendys.
Calculated out to
3 ounces of fat (2 ounces saturated)
3 ounces of sugar
2.5 grams of salt

(1400 calories)

My mind exploded

Chibibar

No one likes it when I tell them how much salt in grams is in what they're eating.

Calculated out to
3 ounces of sugar
2.5 grams of salt

(1400 calories)

My mind exploded
and I bet it was DELICIOUS!

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yeah, there's that 'salt in any form' line.

It would be really hard to cook anything with that restriction. No bacon? Truly? However, the best part of the article was this: "In this way, consumers have more control over the amount of sodium they intake, and are given the option to exercise healthier diets and healthier lifestyles," Ortiz said.

Ahem. Actually, this would mean less control...unless he means that all dishes must be prepared totally salt-free, and then all the salt gets added by the patron at the table.

--Patrick

@Li3n

@Li3n

Ahem. Actually, this would mean less control...unless he means that all dishes must be prepared totally salt-free, and then all the salt gets added by the patron at the table.
--Patrick
Of course some dishes work better if the salt is added during cooking/preparation...

But the only way this could work is if they just make them offer to make the dishes with or without salt... kinda like when they ask you how spicy you want something to be.

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

He should replace all salt with Honey and Sugar... i'm sure he'll love it.

Does no one here know the fairy tale i was referring to?!

Chazwozel

Good thing we live in a democracy where stupid ideas like this will get shot down without a second look...

Koko

Calculated out to
3 ounces of sugar
2.5 grams of salt

(1400 calories)

My mind exploded
and I bet it was DELICIOUS![/QUOTE]

He said he could barely taste the bacon, tasted like a really big fast food cheeseburger.
and was complaining about his stomach on the way home

PatrThom

PatrThom

I know only one fairy tale involving salt, which played out sorta like King Lear.

--Patrick

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Eastern European, Romania/Bulgarian origin? Three princess tell their king how much they love him, two daughters tell him that they love him as much as honey and sugar, third says as much as salt. Third daughter gets "punished", becomes a serving wench and wins love of some prince and at the wedding of the two serves nothing but saltless food cooked with sugar and honey to her estranged father.

PatrThom

PatrThom

The version I read is of course much friendlier, where all the salt in the kingdom disappears when the third daughter is exiled. She discovers an underground world made of salt and returns later, disguised, with her salty treasures to a town where everyone is sick from not having any salt. And then she gets to lay the big 'I told you so' smackdown on everybody.

--Patrick

@Li3n

@Li3n

Yeah, google only found the dumbed down versions too... bloody annoying.

And hurray for it being a local thing, i wasn't sure about that.

And it's "i love you as much as salt in food".