Export thread

Autonomous vehicle tricks

strawman

strawman

This was pretty cool until the 55 second point. Then it got insane (in terms of the software algorithms they must be using in order to pull off that particular trick).

Dave

Dave

Are you sure that it wasn't just always going to that same site and they threw the hoop specifically so that it would go through? We have no idea how many takes this took.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

They needed a little less slo-mo, and a few more demonstrations.

strawman

strawman

Are you sure that it wasn't just always going to that same site and they threw the hoop specifically so that it would go through? We have no idea how many takes this took.
Meh, I'm not going to contact the researchers and see if I can duplicate their work myself. Note that the calculations and planning are not done on the device itself - they have 20 cameras arranged around the space (each of those lights is a camera, with a ring light mounted on it) and a beefy computer (or set of computers) doing all the real work. They are merely controlling the device via remote control, but it's still all automated.

However, they have at least 20 of these quadrotor robots, and I'm sure they go through them pretty quickly whenever the system messes up.

Homepage | GRASP Laboratory - University Of Pennsylvania

This is the same system that did the robots that go through windows:

So the only difference here is that the "window" is moving, so the computer has to predict the future location of the window and deal with the response time of the robot.

Fun Size

Fun Size

So the only difference here is that the "window" is moving, so the computer has to predict the future location of the window and deal with the response time of the robot.
Now replace "window" with "your rectum", and you realize just how bad the future autonomous robot overlords are going to make things.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

It sounds like a swarm of bees!

Gah! Not the bees, not the bees!