Export thread

Bacon. Beer.

Andromache

Best mash-up ever, or?

Bacon Beer Becomes a Reality, But Don’t Get Too Excited
9/16/09 at 12:22 PM

We just about lost it when we heard Brooklyn Brewery brew master Garrett Oliver was working on a beer made from Benton’s Country Smokehouse bacon, and now it’s a reality. The catch is: You’ll have to pay $350 for a taste of Reinschweinsgebot, as Oliver is calling it. The beer is part of a pairing dinner at Per Se on September 18 at 7 p.m. (the first of its kind there), which will also feature the Manhattan Project, a rye-based beer made with David Wondrich that’s aged in Rittenhouse Rye barrels and flavored with herbs, spices, and cherry so as to echo the taste of a Manhattan. The Manhattan Project is going out to bars in New York and across 21 states this week (it’s currently on tap at Rattle & Hum), and Oliver is quite pleased with it: “It tells me that we got it right that several bartenders I’ve served it to smelled the beer and just burst out laughing.” Since he’s also pleased with the bacon beer, will it too become commercially available?

Unfortunately, the answer is nyet. Brooklyn Brewery made 21 cases of Reinschweinsgebot for special events, which isn’t enough for even limited commercial distribution. And don’t expect it to go wide anytime soon. Oliver tells us that “the technique we used — which comes originally out of the perfume industry — involves transferring an aroma from a fat to a liquid without actually transferring the fat itself. Then to completely remove the fat and have none left in the liquid, it was very tricky.” However, he says he’s open to finding a way to simplify the process so that plebeians can one day enjoy bacon beer, too. Fingers crossed.

By the way, if you want a slightly cheaper opportunity to absorb Oliver’s wisdom, he’ll be teaching a $195 class about cooking with beer at the International Culinary Center on October 23. Get your tickets here.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

It's finally true. You *can* take bacon too far.

Gusto

Gusto

Ugh. No.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Yeah, sounds gnarsty to me.

Andromache

the ultimate meme is if somehow, they could deep fry this.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I'll keep my bacon as food and clothing, thank you very much! :humph:

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

OK, that's a wrap, people! Crone has won the thread!

FLAWLESS VICTORY

Andromache

I'll keep my bacon as food and clothing, thank you very much! :humph:

Jake

Jake

German rauchbier already tastes quite a bit like bacon, being smoky and a little sweet. I've made some crazy beers, but have never been tempted to use meat as an ingredient.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Slightly NSFW.

Cajungal

Cajungal

:Leyla:

AUUUGH, I hate that picture! Trichinosis-tits!

Chazwozel

I've sampled something similar to this, where they used smoked ham malt in the mash of the beer. It wasn't good. This combines takes barleywine that was made with a smoked malt and mixes it with a beer that was pre infused with bacon fat? No thanks.

Fruits, Coffees, nuts, and variable malted grains are what you use to make good flavorful beer. Not meat!

Andi

Drachenherz

I simply cannot understand why there is so much fuzz about bacon.

Imho it's greatly overrated.

Now, foie gras, or goose liver, on the other hand... :pud:

Gusto

Gusto

Don't masturbate onto your foie gras Andi.

That's a foie gras faux pas.

Andi

Drachenherz

Gusto, that's the "special frosting", you know...

Cajungal

Cajungal

:rofl:

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

If you don't like bacon, you're doing it wrong. I think beer and mexican food goes great together, but I'm not shoving a tamale in my Bohemia any time soon.

That sounds dirty.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

but I'm not shoving a tamale in my Bohemia any time soon.

Jake

Jake

I tried using chocolate in beer before. The milk fat coagulates into little icky globules. I just don't see how bacon fat would be an improvement. Use cocoa for chocolaty flavor and smoked malt for bacony flavor.

This is about as gross as I'll tolerate beermaking:

figmentPez

figmentPez

So it won't be long before this is reality

HoboNinja

HoboNinja

I tried using chocolate in beer before. The milk fat coagulates into little icky globules. I just don't see how bacon fat would be an improvement. Use cocoa for chocolaty flavor and smoked malt for bacony flavor.
It says in the OP they use a technique used with perfumes to take the aroma of the fat and infuse it with a liquid without leaving the fat.

Jake

Jake

It says in the OP they use a technique used with perfumes to take the aroma of the fat and infuse it with a liquid without leaving the fat.[/QUOTE]
I never learned to read. Thanks so much for pointing out my secret shame. :waah:

fade

fade

Speaking of which: where's Calleja?

Andi

Drachenherz

Speaking of which: where's Calleja?[/QUOTE]

That never gets old, does it?

:rolleyes:

Gared

Gared

As much as I love bacon, no, I do not want bacon flavored beer.

Beer Batter 's all I'm sayin'

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

As much as I love bacon, no, I do not want bacon flavored beer.

Beer Batter 's all I'm sayin'
So while deeprfying the beer itself may be difficult, I propose an alternative solution.

We use this beer to make a beer batter, as my esteemed colleague has suggested. But We take it one step further and we batter BACON with it, and deepfry that.