Beatles' fans upset at Lady Gaga playing iconic piano

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wasabi Poptart

To which the youngest Lennon replied, "pianos meant are to be played. Why is everyone so uptight? What should we do, lock it away in a dusty room? So judgmental..."

Sean eventually took the photo down and used his Twitter page to once again respond to the criticisms, saying, "Firstly, he gave that piano to my mother for her birthday, it is hers, secondly, he was not uptight the way you seem to be," adding, "Come on, lighten up...life's too short, there're enough real problems in the world...."
That was very well said on Sean Lennon's part. People take this stuff way too seriously.

I was about to say how prissy people were being and then I read Charlie's post and now I'm just seeing red

Religious wars have been fought over who can do what ... what rituals are important ... minor interpretations of scriptures ... and I wonder how people could be so ridiculous as to let petty differences like that drive them to commit atrocities.

But then something like this comes up and I realize that the problem is not religion. People can have some ridiculous opinions surrounding the things they care about, and they can allow those opinions to translate into anger/outrage/imagined personal offense rather quickly.

You know who would've really liked Gaga? John.
I don't know about that... As much as I think Bad Romance is a, well, just damn terrific pop song, the majority of her work is just bland pop synth work. It's still better than most of the girl pop out there but she's going to have to flex some artistic muscles (that aren't related to cuh-razy costumes) with any new music she puts out to avoid being a flash in the pan IMO.
She's clearly got the talent, but does she have the desire to be more than a record company creation? I don't think thats clearly decided yet and I don't think it's fair to pass and sort of final judgement until she puts out some more music.

You do realize John LOVED Yoko right?

I didn't say he had great taste, here.
Yoko's first recording gig was for an air defense siren.

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

Gaga most likely plays the Piano better than any Beatle, living or dead.

C

Chazwozel

When it comes down to Lady Gaga vs the Beatles

I will always choose Gaga

I like Lady Gaga, but dude, she's waaaaay overrated.

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

You know who would've really liked Gaga? John.
I don't know about that... As much as I think Bad Romance is a, well, just damn terrific pop song, the majority of her work is just bland pop synth work. It's still better than most of the girl pop out there but she's going to have to flex some artistic muscles (that aren't related to cuh-razy costumes) with any new music she puts out to avoid being a flash in the pan IMO.
She's clearly got the talent, but does she have the desire to be more than a record company creation? I don't think thats clearly decided yet and I don't think it's fair to pass and sort of final judgement until she puts out some more music.[/QUOTE]

The majority of Beatles songs are bland pop as well... just sayin...

...you're talking about pre-pot Beatles. Pre-Rubber Soul. That's fine... that's not an unfair statement.

(YES YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT THAT PERIOD)

Pop does not necessarily mean bad.
Pop beatles' songs are way better than any current "bland" pop song, theirs were most definetely not "bland" at all.

Uppity Beatles fans are the most annoying fans ever. 2nd place are people who learned about Bob Dylan last month and act like they're the only ones who know about him.

HEY! I'm just saying... the Beatles started out as a pop band, yes, maybe even the first ever boy band, granted... but they had quite the rift from that in the mid 60's. You'll even notice that on the album artwork of albums from Sgt Pepper's on only say "Beatles" and not "The Beatles", as the band wanted to sort of separate from that initial poppy persona.... EMI and the whole world ignored them and still called then and promoted them as "The Beatles", of course, but it's the intention that counts.

Rubber Soul is universally considered as the first Beatles album that steps away from their pop beginnings. Revolver, which followed shortly after, cemented that. I consider those 2 albums to be different sides of the same work... the first is where we see John mature as a songwriter and musician, while Revolver does the same for Paul, with George having big steps on both. Ringo... Ringo played the drums.

So that's why with the Beatles you can get extremely poppy stuff like:

But also incredibly experimental and ground breaking songs like:

So, no, the majority of Beatle songs are not "bland pop".

Status
Not open for further replies.