Export thread

Better Call Saul (Spoilers!)

Jay

Jay

Anyone watching this?

I watched the series premiere tonight (will watch the 2nd episode tomorrow).

HOLY SHIT is this good.

What a great ending.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

TUCO!

It's always perplexed me as to why Saul/James works in such a shithole when he's actually a good lawyer.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Without spoiling anything, is this a prequel to Breaking Bad, occurs during, or is it a sequel series? Because ...

At the end of BB, I thought he went to change his identity.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Watching the second episode now. This is actually way better than I had hoped. I'm so happy to be back in this world again.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Without spoiling anything, is this a prequel to Breaking Bad, occurs during, or is it a sequel series? Because ...

It's a prequel. it starts with him still using his real name (remember when he first met Walt, he confessed his real name is McGill)

However,
it does start with him hiding as a manager of a Cinnabon in Omaha. After that, it's all flashback.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

With the exception of the very beginning of the first episode to show you what happened to Saul, it's all a prequel. It takes place in the early 2000's, as can be seen on the video evidence in his first case being dated year 2001.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

The cell phones are also straight out of 2001. I remember the models that had extendable antennae.

Gryfter

Gryfter

First ep was awesome. Felt like a true sequel/prequel to Breaking Bad. Haven't watched the second ep yet but can't wait.

Fucking awesome ending when Tuco pulls him in. This promises to be a great series.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Just finished episode 2.

I NEED MORE.

Jay

Jay

Same, this show is so good!!!

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Covar

Covar

Is it as poorly paced, sorry, deliberately paced, as Breaking Bad?

Gryfter

Gryfter

This show is soooooooo good.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I was surprised to see there are actually nice neighborhoods in Albuquerque. Breaking Bad did for Albuquerque what The Wire did for Baltimore.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I was surprised to see there are actually nice neighborhoods in Albuquerque. Breaking Bad did for Albuquerque what The Wire did for Baltimore.
Walt lived in a pretty nice neighborhood.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Actually, so did Jesse and his parents.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I take that back, Walt's neighborhood did have a drug lord living in it.

Jay

Jay

Last episode was a bit flat but hey... it'll lead to something... Mike was useful.

Frank

Frank

Show is great. Loving it so far.

Why no Mrs. Kettleman, I don't believe that you're guilty.

Oh, Mrs. Kettleman!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Show is great. Loving it so far.

Why no Mrs. Kettleman, I don't believe that you're guilty.

Oh, Mrs. Kettleman!
I don't remember -that- in the episode...

Jay

Jay

Me when I'm at work and hearing people praising this show.

aKe2I.gif

SO GOOD.

Anyone else just realize that Saul Goodman has another meaning before this episode?

jwhouk

jwhouk

The dual Biblical allusions?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

The dual Biblical allusions?
s'all good, man.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Wow, this episode was great. I like how they branch out of Albuquerque to show Cicero and Philadelphia.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

This week's episode... damn.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

LALALALA NOT READING POSTS BECAUSE I HAVEN'T WATCHED THIS WEEK'S EPISODE YET.

But i just discovered this morning that Kelly Dixon, Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould ARE doing a Better Call Saul Insider podcast. Go listen to it. It's every bit as fun and insightful as the Breaking Bad Insider Podcast was.

And if you are unfamiliar with that podcast, i highly recommend that too. I've actually listened to the whole thing a few times.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Just watched it. Holy shit Mike. The feels.

Jay

Jay

I love this show. That Mike episode was great.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Wow, the treasurer's wife is a real harpy.

Jay

Jay

I cracked up when Saul mentioned he'll have her own prison gang.

Another good episode, honestly, no fillers, the storyline progresses to possible a great season finale in a few episodes.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I love that his matlock shtick with the goofy slogan and the obvious pandering seems to actually be paying off.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Wow, the treasurer's wife is a real harpy.
immediately came to mind:

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Why did I have to eat brownies during the dumpster scene...

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Goddamn... this episode... punch right to the gut.

Gryfter

Gryfter

This show is so damn good. The Mike story this week was classic.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

If they make another spinoff series, I'd love to see something on Gus Fring or Gale Boetticher.

By the way, do you think Gale was a homosexual? I just figured he was cultured (fluent in Italian, interest in 19th century poetry, etc.). My roommate insists he was totally gay.

Gryfter

Gryfter

If they make another spinoff series, I'd love to see something on Gus Fring or Gale Boetticher.

By the way, do you think Gale was a homosexual? I just figured he was cultured (fluent in Italian, interest in 19th century poetry, etc.). My roommate insists he was totally gay.
There is still hope that those characters could show up in BCS, after all, Mike does end up working for Gus so we need to know how that happens.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

In the middle of watching right now.
Man, I was hoping Trevor Philips would be a regular. But seeing Mike drop him so quickly was pretty great.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Hell yes you guys Nacho's back.

Frank

Frank

Woo, that tirade of Chuck's at the end of the episode felt like I was listening to my dad as a teenager again. That was fucking rough. Brilliant episode.

Jay

Jay

Same thing.

I was like... you fucking asshole.
How dare you say this shit while you're at home wasting your life and your brother is fucking taking care of you while still attempting to have a fucking life of his own.
It was like someone punched me in the balls.

Frank

Frank

Same thing.

I was like... you fucking asshole.
How dare you say this shit while you're at home wasting your life and your brother is fucking taking care of you while still attempting to have a fucking life of his own.
It was like someone punched me in the balls.
Brilliant, went right along with Mike's talk with the newly minted criminal about bad cops and honorable thieves.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Jimmy turned his life around because of Chuck. He's trying so hard to go legit just to make his brother proud, and to find out that all of his work has done nothing to change Chuck's opinion of him, that he still looks down on him as just a con man... that hurts.

Frank

Frank

Man, really changes Hamelin eh? He was basically following Chuck's marching orders and playing the bad guy. He's still a douche but SO MUCH MORE GREY!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I kinda saw that coming pretty early on regarding Hamelin. Chuck has seemed a little distant and a little suspicious of Jimmy right from the start. And no one in the Breaking Bad universe is straiht up good or straight up evil, or even completely the bad guy or completely the good guy, if you want to look at it that way. Except Gomie.

Even Tuco was a loving grandson and nephew who loved to cook for his family.
So when Hamelin comes off so douchey, and the protagonist tells us we're supposed to hate him, but we never actually see him treated anything less than fair by Hamelin, you know something's up.

Frank

Frank

Hamelindigo is enough to know that despite everything, still a douche.

Also, haven't mentioned it but fuck I love when Bob Odenkirk swears. He is the greatest user of colourful language on the planet. Been such a fan of his since watching my first episode of Mr. Show like 20 years ago.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Hamelindigo is enough to know that despite everything, still a douche.

Also, haven't mentioned it but fuck I love when Bob Odenkirk swears. He is the greatest user of colourful language on the planet. Been such a fan of his since watching my first episode of Mr. Show like 20 years ago.

I was disappointed, I bought the episode off the Sony Store and they censored it.

Frank

Frank

Speaking of Bob Odenkirk swearing!

http://deadline.com/2015/04/bob-odenkirk-david-cross-sketch-comedy-series-netflix-1201403256/

MY DICK CAN ONLY GET SO HARD!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I'm still waiting for a David Cross cameo in Better Call Saul that will probably never happen just because it would be so meta.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Well, that's it for a year. Hopefully we get more Nacho next season.
Like Breaking Bad tended to do, i felt like the penultimate was a better episode than the finale. But the finale definitely worked really well. It gave us a lot of closure on Jimmy as a character while leaving virtually every plot thread hanging.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Well, that's it for a year. Hopefully we get more Nacho next season.
Like Breaking Bad tended to do, i felt like the penultimate was a better episode than the finale. But the finale definitely worked really well. It gave us a lot of closure on Jimmy as a character while leaving virtually every plot thread hanging.
Wait, what, that was the season finale? Damn

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

The penultimate episode was good, but my favorite is the Mike episode by far.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Great first season... cannot wait for more!

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

So, is anyone else watching the second season? I'm enjoying it so far. Now I know what "squat cobbler" is.

Frank

Frank

It is the best show on TV right now. Wonderful bloody show.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Soooooo goood.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I loved the look of disappointment/regret when Jimmy looked at the sunroof of the company car.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

And when he's in the interrogation room with the baseball card collector. The guy's going on and on about preservation techniques while Jimmy's eyes glaze over.

Jay

Jay

Can't wait for the next episode.

Mike is so awesome.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

You know what I just realized? We've seen that douchey stock broker before. The one that Saul and his girlfriend stick with an outrageous bar tab. He was in one of the early Breaking Bad episodes. He pulled up to a gas station and generally behaved in an obnoxious manner. His license plate read "KENWINS." Walt messed with his engine and set the car on fire while Ken freaked out.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

So, any idea when this show takes place? It has to be sometime in the early 2000s. Smart phones aren't a thing yet, but Fight Club has already been released. What do you think? Pre or post-9/11?

Another thing I've noticed is the use of color in this show, just like in Breaking Bad. Saul tends to wear gray, symbolizing his ambiguous morality. Kim usually wears blue. And when Hamlin pulls the carpet out from under her, she's suddenly wearing black.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I'm pretty sure they've said 2002.

Dei

Dei

HAH, THE OPENING

Fuck you Chuck, your dad was a sucker, stop blaming Jimmy so much, and start blaming your dad more.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I've learned to steer clear of people pulling that "my son's really sick and I need gas money to drive to the hospital" scam. They usually claim to live in my apartment complex. I tell them that since it's an emergency, I can drive them to the hospital myself. Better yet, I know nurses who work in the nearby hospitals and they can give us a status update. Then they suddenly decide they shouldn't be a bother.

It also turns out that men fall for that scam a lot more often than women do. Men aren't more gullible. It's just that they're more willing to open the door to a stranger at night.

blotsfan

blotsfan

HAH, THE OPENING

Fuck you Chuck, your dad was a sucker, stop blaming Jimmy so much, and start blaming your dad more.
I mean, Chuck basically said his dad was too trusting. And its not like we didn't see Jimmy steal money from him at the end of that scene.

Dei

Dei

I mean, Chuck basically said his dad was too trusting. And its not like we didn't see Jimmy steal money from him at the end of that scene.
True, but unlike Chuck, Jimmy was there to watch his dad get ripped off over and over again, with nothing he could do about it.

Shakey

Shakey

I don't think it was the people conning him out of a couple bucks that did him in. Watching your dad get ripped off doesn't make stealing from him until his business goes under ok.

But I guess we'll see. We've only really heard Chucks side of the story.

Dei

Dei

If people are doing it on a consistent basis every day, it most certainly can. Especially when it's obviously a fake sob story, and your dad not only buys it, he gives the guy more to keep him from leaving when he thinks he's been caught.

My point is that guess where Jimmy got his attitude from? Not wanting to BE his dad.

Shakey

Shakey

My point is that guess where Jimmy got his attitude from? Not wanting to BE his dad.
That's understandable, but that doesn't mean Chuck doesn't have a reason to be angry at him for stealing from his dad.

In the end, Chuck was right. Jimmy would have never fit in with them, and the same thing would have happened at his firm. The way he went about it makes him an ass, but Jimmy is better off on his own.

Dei

Dei

I just don't like Chuck in general, because he is one of those people who sits on a high horse looking down at Jimmy, while being simultaneously jealous of how good he is with people. And I get that he knows Jimmy better than anyone, but the scene with them at dinner is what really nailed down Chuck for me.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I'm wondering what happened to make Chuck what he is. He used to be a worldly, well-traveled, outgoing man in a healthy marriage. Now he's a shut-in who can't take care of himself.

On another note, I'd love to see another flashback episode with Mike. Maybe dealing with his experience in Vietnam.

Dei

Dei

I'm wondering what happened to make Chuck what he is. He used to be a worldly, well-traveled, outgoing man in a healthy marriage. Now he's a shut-in who can't take care of himself.

On another note, I'd love to see another flashback episode with Mike. Maybe dealing with his experience in Vietnam.
I love all the Mike parts. I can also start to see why Mike worked for Gus and why Gus and Hector vehemently hate each other.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

At the end of season 2, I conclude that Chuck is a douchebag. Sure, I understand that he's been frustrated with Jimmy all his life. No matter how much Jimmy screws up, he somehow emerges with people still liking him while Chuck has to clean up. I used to feel sorry for Chuck but the guy is bringing up Jimmy's high school shenanigans as evidence. This is a sad, jealous man who just can't admit he made mistakes.

Dei

Dei

Season 3 tonight!

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Yeah, this last episode definitely had a Breaking Bad type ending. When you see a likeable character utterly screw themselves.

Dei

Dei

I hate Chuck so much.

Logically, Jimmy knows he can ignore the existence of the tape. But the fact that Jimmy has bent over backwards to keep Chuck out of the asylum and Chuck just keeps belittling him has finally hit the breaking point. Jimmy is also an ass, and fucked up Chuck's reputation, but I wonder if Chuck even realizes that Jimmy cares less about the tape and more about how Chuck despises him.

Gryfter

Gryfter

This show is the absolute best. I love that Gus and his operation are entering the picture and can't wait to see what Jimmy/Saul does that makes him nervous to refer Walt to them in Breaking Bad.

Plus,
When Mike sees who is driving the truck away from Los Pollos Hermanos I looked at my wife and said, "Hey, it's Boxcutter." (cause I don't remember the character's name, just his fate.) Can't wait to see who else from BB shows up.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I hate Chuck so much.

Logically, Jimmy knows he can ignore the existence of the tape. But the fact that Jimmy has bent over backwards to keep Chuck out of the asylum and Chuck just keeps belittling him has finally hit the breaking point. Jimmy is also an ass, and fucked up Chuck's reputation, but I wonder if Chuck even realizes that Jimmy cares less about the tape and more about how Chuck despises him.
Yeah but Jimmy fucked over Chuck hard. Yeah there was spite in Chuck personally securing the client but it was still him trying to get a large client for his business.

Dei

Dei

Yeah but Jimmy fucked over Chuck hard. Yeah there was spite in Chuck personally securing the client but it was still him trying to get a large client for his business.
They are both assholes, I just feel like Chuck refuses to see Jimmy as more than someone he has to beat, and doesn't see that all Jimmy has really ever wanted is for Chuck to be proud of him for something. Their relationship is so toxic, and has led to both of them making awful choices. I'm just glad this episode acknowledged that Jimmy could easily say he was lying to get Chuck back on track, and have medical history back him up, because that was a huge loophole in my mind at the season finale.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I'd always thought Chuck's wife died of cancer or something. That would explain his deteriorated mental state. But learning that she divorced him instead suggests his spiteful, manipulative personality isn't anything new.

Dei

Dei

There are no good guys here, but I really want to see Chuck's ass nailed to the wall.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I didn't know Los Pollos Hermanos had an employee training video. If I were a high school kid, I wouldn't mind working for someone like Gus. He treats his restaurant employees well.

Dei

Dei

I really want to see how Hector gets crippled. >.>[DOUBLEPOST=1494271003,1494270564][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, 10 week online training course for a fast food job? 0_o

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I'm thinking Hector has his stroke at the end of this season.

Btw, here's another training video. Gotta feel bad for KENWINS. Jimmy and Kim stiffed him on a $1000 bottle of tequila and Walt set his car on fire. He just wanted his curly fries...

Edit: I love the character they re-introduced tonight. I'm not naming names, but here's a portrait. /-_-\

blotsfan

blotsfan

So good. I got so excited when the vet asked "you don't need him fit them into any tight spaces do you?"

Also just a great episode. I loved chuck hanging himself like that. So cathartic.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I could watch that rant over and over again.

Dei

Dei

Jimmy has been the only thing standing between Chuck and a mental hospital, I wonder if Jimmy got Chuck's ex to show up so that Jimmy can tell Chuck to fuck off the next time he gets hospitalized and feel less guilt. I know it was to make her a red herring and make Chuck drop his guard, but Jimmy still cares about Chuck, even if he's a self righteous ass. Really want to see Hamlin disassociate from Chuck somehow.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

There should not be nepotism at Hamlin Hamlin McGill.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

They introduced FOUR characters from Breaking Bad in last night's episode. Not bad.

I'm trying to figure Nacho out. He doesn't have any vendettas when his peers (Mike and Gus) live for revenge. He is reluctant to engage in violence while Tuco revels in it. And he tries to keep his family out of the drug business while Hector brings everyone in. There are occasions when Nacho is tempted to cross a line (like with the Kettlemans in season 1) but Jimmy can make him see reason. He's a good deal smarter and more rational than most of the petty crooks on the show.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I get the impression that Nacho doesn't particularly like being in the cartel. It's just a good way to make money. He's kinda the cartels version of Howard.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I'm gonna need that explained to me. The only Howards I know are Wolowitz and the Duck.

Edit: Oh wait, you mean Howard Hamlin. Yeah I can see that.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

No more Better Call Saul for a couple weeks, but I'm eager to see what happens with Mike, Nacho, and Mr. Squat Cobbler.

Dei

Dei

:aaah::aaah::aaah::aaah::aaah:

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

That yoga scene had me cringing. Breaking Bad had moments where you wanted to close your eyes because you knew it could not end well. Think about that part where Walt's cooking in Jesse's basement and they don't know an open house was scheduled for that day. Or when Walt shows up at Skyler's work in order to confront Ted. I felt the same way when Jimmy was at yoga.

Dei

Dei

All of the Chuck scenes made me feel that way.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Outstanding season, wish it wasn't over.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

The actor who plays Chuck had an interesting take on the character. People respect Chuck and defer to his legal expertise, but they don't LIKE him. Jimmy knows how to instantly read people and puts them at ease. He could sell a ketchup popsicle to a woman in white gloves. Chuck wants to have that ability but it doesn't come naturally to him. And that drives him insane with jealousy.

blotsfan

blotsfan

blotsfan

blotsfan

This show is really good, huh?

Shakey

Shakey

Damn. As nice as it is to see everything start to come together, it’s going to suck when it’s done.

Cat

Cat

Damn. As nice as it is to see everything start to come together, it’s going to suck when it’s done.
I haven't been hyped for a show ending since Hannibal. Kinda feels good that it's got a chance to wrap things up in a satisfying way

Far

Far

I'm behind, by a season or two, but I still maintain BCS is a better show than BB.

Shakey

Shakey

Damn, Kim can be stone cold when she wants to.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Late to the party but finally finished Better Call Saul and like Breaking Bad before it was a outstanding ending. I might agree wih Far, that it is overall a better show but I guess I can now rewatch Breaking Bad as a Better Call Saul sequel and find out.