Export thread

Bi(cycle)curious lololol

Steven Soderburgin

I am considering selling my old as fuck truck and saving money on insurance and gas and just commuting by bicycle and public transportation. I've been wanting to do this for a couple years, now, but it feels like the right time to do it, but I am wondering what a good bike for commuting would be. I have a really good local bike shop but I was wondering if anyone here had some insight into what I should be looking for in a commuter bike. It would mostly be on roads and sidewalks. I'm not really interested in long trips but I want something that will be comfortable to ride for 4-5 miles at a time, and good for occasional recreational use.

Anyone here know about bikes?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Speaking as someone who ditches his transit pass every summer to bike all over Toronto, I applaud this.

Honestly, you don't need to spend a kajillion dollars on a bike, but it doesn't sound like you'd want to, anyway. I would say ask for a street bike, which is exactly what it says. It's not like a mountain bike or an all-terrain bike and works great on the roads.

Of course, the biggest thing will be to get comfortable riding beside cars. Most times, people are pretty courteous, but you'll find the occasional asshole. Oh, and of course, learn hand signals!

Dusty668

Hmmmm...

Vagabond

V.Bond

Try and buy a hybrid, if you can. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_bicycle

Also, I would not buy a bike that did not have shock absorbers. It's worth the additional investment for a better ride.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I'd recommend a Mountain Bike. Because they are sturdy (good for jumping curbs or going down stairs) and have low gear ratios (because you live in a hilly town.) Get a second set of wheels and put slick tires on them. Slicks are good for city riding and give you much more speed. They also will do well in a pinch if you want to hit the back roads for exercise. Then you will have the knobby tires for the days of rain.

Man, I need to get off my arse and start riding again.

Steven Soderburgin

Love that movie, and would never steal a bike because I don't want to put someone through that :(

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

What if you were being chased by an agent of the Matrix?

makare

At my school, people steal bikes to ride to the dome with. So if you are missing a bike that is where you look. Most people go to the dome to workout because that is where the fitness center is for now. I guess some people are in just too big a hurry to get there that they absolutely have to bike it.

Chazwozel

Oh man this is a loaded question.

I'd recommend a touring bike if you like your ass. I use a piece of shit department store hybrid to get to work from the train station, but have a touring seat on it. Cost me 20 bucks on ebay.

My regular rec bike is a Giant Yukon mountain bike, if I wasn't afraid of it getting stolen at 30th St Station in Philly, I'd ride that to work too.

Steven Soderburgin

Yeah, a hybrid or city bike are the kind I'm considering. They are so expensive though UGH.

also for the record fuck fixies forever, they are dumb, especially in a hilly town. I see people with them downtown occasionally and I want to punch them.

edit: I do like my ass quite a bit.

evilmike

evilmike

I'd recommend a Mountain Bike. Because they are sturdy (good for jumping curbs or going down stairs) and have low gear ratios (because you live in a hilly town.) Get a second set of wheels and put slick tires on them. Slicks are good for city riding and give you much more speed. They also will do well in a pinch if you want to hit the back roads for exercise. Then you will have the knobby tires for the days of rain.

Man, I need to get off my arse and start riding again.
Slicks are pretty handy, but I suspect for the type of riding he is talking about , that's all he's going to need.

Other thoughts:

I'm not sold on shocks. To me, they always feel like they are sucking up energy that would otherwise be going to the road.

If the riding distance starts getting any longer than 5 miles, invest in a way to recover from a flat tube. I use a frame pump and carry spare tubes. (I've never really been able to get patch kits to work well.)

Invest in a white LED light for the front, and a blinky red LED light for the back. You should be able to get both for under $30 total.

A full rear rack is amazingly useful -- especially when coupled with something like Nashbar's Townie bags. http://www.nashbar.com/bikes//Catal...tSet&sortBy=savings//0&cn1=&searchTerm=townie

Chazwozel

Yeah, a hybrid or city bike are the kind I'm considering. They are so expensive though UGH.

also for the record fuck fixies forever, they are dumb, especially in a hilly town. I see people with them downtown occasionally and I want to punch them.

edit: I do like my ass quite a bit.

400-700 bucks should be what you're looking to dish out. Anything cheaper than 400 is usually a piece of shit.

Here you want to shoot for somethign like this:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/model/cypress.dx.black/5687/36601/

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/model/escape.city.2011/6963/43123/

Steven Soderburgin

that second bike is sexy as hell (and so will I be when riding it B) )

but seriously, yeah, that's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Any other tips are totally welcome, and I appreciate any insight and help you guys have to offer.

This thread is now for talking about commuting by bike and road bikes in general.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Slicks are pretty handy, but I suspect for the type of riding he is talking about , that's all he's going to need.

Other thoughts:

I'm not sold on shocks. To me, they always feel like they are sucking up energy that would otherwise be going to the road.

If the riding distance starts getting any longer than 5 miles, invest in a way to recover from a flat tube. I use a frame pump and carry spare tubes. (I've never really been able to get patch kits to work well.)

Invest in a white LED light for the front, and a blinky red LED light for the back. You should be able to get both for under $30 total.

A full rear rack is amazingly useful -- especially when coupled with something like Nashbar's Townie bags. http://www.nashbar.com/bikes//Catal...tSet&sortBy=savings//0&cn1=&searchTerm=townie
I preferred front shocks only. I personally like the speed of having a triangle rear end on the bike. Not liking the rear shocks is also because I am heavy. It always felt like I was bottoming out the rear shock too much. And Steve looks to be a bit smaller than me.

Calleja

Calleja

Look for one with a chain guard if you're gonna be riding with long pants, cause seeing someone ride with their pants tucked in the socks counts as visual pollution.

Gusto

Gusto

Time for an old favourite of mine:

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I'm gonna bump this thread and shake my head in disgust every time you ask me for a ride in the future btw

Steven Soderburgin

I would never give you the satisfaction.

NEVER

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I would never give you the satisfaction.

NEVER
Sounds like my prom night. :(

Gusto

Gusto

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I have a $200 Raleigh M20.
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2001&Brand=Raleigh&Model=M20&Type=bike

I've been riding it for almost 10 years, and haven't had a single problem with the frame or gears. I've gone through a couple of rear wheels, but that's because I think I should be in that movie Rad.
So, you don't absolutely have to get an expensive bike. Although, since this is going to be your only form of transportation (besides Charlies), you might want to invest a bit. No gas, no insurance, means that you'll save a ton. Also, make sure you test ride whatever you might buy.

Definitely get a helmet, comfy seat, a good bike lock, and lights for night riding. Riding in traffic is scary at first, but you get used to it. Have fun!

Vagabond

V.Bond

also for the record fuck fixies forever, they are dumb
Yes.

Depending on what you're willing to spend, let's say under or around $300, you'll be better off going with a used bike rather then a new one at the same price.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I have a 2005(?) Cannondale which I ride about 3x/yr. Such a good bike, and I treat it so poorly.

--Patrick

Seraphyn

Seraphyn

I bike 9,5 miles to and from work daily on this:

I cost me about 10 bucks at a police auction and it's been getting me everywhere for about 5 years now. Just maintain/treat a bike well and it won't break down ever. Reason I wanted the bike above is for it's simplicity, there's next to nothing that can go wrong on it. No gears change thingies that are prone to breaking, simple back pedal brakes rather then the wired ones, sealed chain box to keep out filth. I even ditched the lights/dynamo for those clip on lights, since the normal one burned out too often for my liking.

Calleja

Calleja

chain guard! pants welcome!

blotsfan

blotsfan

Kitty Sinatra

I find a mountain bike is best for city cycling. For one thing, sitting up straight makes it more comfortable to look around for all the traffic. Also, the wider tires don't get stuck in the streetcar tracks as easily, though this might be mostly just a Toronto issue.

Koko

My school's bicycle club is called the "Bikeurious Club"
I ride an old ass Trek bike (the first model they made apparently)
its turquoise

mountain bike with street tires, seems to work pretty well getting 'round a hilly urban city.
27 years old so who would want to steal it.

Calleja

Calleja

ha ha! This wtfpwns Kissinger's attempt at a pun in the thread's title.

phil

phil

It's all about the unicycles, baby.

evilmike

evilmike

I'm glad to see that this thread now contains two of my favorite things: bicycles and dinosaur comics.

Ice cream is pretty decent too.

So what are you waiting for? Buy a bike, ride the heck out of it, and then eat ice cream!

Gusto

Gusto

I'm glad to see that this thread now contains two of my favorite things: bicycles and dinosaur comics.
"Sexual Intercourse: The Bike"

Steven Soderburgin

ha ha! This wtfpwns Kissinger's attempt at a pun in the thread's title.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, legit, that is way more clever, though to be fair, I came up with the title in like 2 seconds and never looked back.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

post without fear

postdevil

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

also for the record fuck fixies forever, they are dumb
Yes.
[/QUOTE]

I really don't understand the cult fixation with fixies. I get why bike messengers use them, but I really don't know why hipsters would get them for "style".

Calleja

Calleja

..what the hell is a fixie? Fixy?

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Fixed-Gear Bicycle

Pros:

They're really light, relatively easy to repair, and in a flat urban environment can go a little faster for the effort put in. They also supposedly promote more efficient cycling.

Cons:

You can't coast with them, so they can be really dangerous to use if you don't know what you're doing, particularly in traffic. And they make hills pretty much hell.

Also, a lot of stupid as hell hipsters only get ones which have no brakes because they're more "pure". And since most hipsters aren't experienced bike messengers, being anywhere near a hipster on one of these can be hazardous to your health (or your car's health).

Seraphyn

Seraphyn

Apparently I have a fixie then. I used to have a bike with gears back when I went to high school, but after about my 10th gear related brakedown I gave up on it.

Reading up on that wiki link, it's fun to see how a basic mode of transportation here, is considered hipster culture across the pond. A fixie is quite the common sight over here, though most if not all by now are equipped with decent back pedal brakes, rather then none. Riding around with no brakes is of course against the law and pretty damn stupid to boot.

General Specific

General Specific

Calleja

Calleja

I've always thought the spelling of bicycle is all backwards... pronunciation wise. "Cycle" looks like it should sound like, well, the WORD "Cycle", it'd be better if it was like icicle and made it "bycicle" or maybe even "bicicle"... no?

Vagabond

V.Bond

I've always thought the spelling of bicycle is all backwards... pronunciation wise. "Cycle" looks like it should sound like, well, the WORD "Cycle", it'd be better if it was like icicle and made it "bycicle" or maybe even "bicicle"... no?

Kitty Sinatra

Mex . . . have you ever actually met English?

Calleja

Calleja

I know, I know, it's a language with no rules or logic whatsoever, that has just as much exceptions for the rules they DO teach than the cases it's valid for.

I before E except when it's not and all that. Still, with bicycle you have the letters RIGHT THERE, it's like a typo or something.

Chad Sexington

Garbledina

Bicycle has never bothered me. I mean, there are words I have wondered about but... Cylinder, cyclical, cycles, recycle... So many 'round' words use 'cyc' that it doesn't bother me at all. Bi means two in dozens of English words... Nah, that one I'm down with.

I call bull on relax though. You can't lax in the first place!

Calleja

Calleja

Cylinder and cyclical don't have the same "cy" sound than "cycle" and "recycle"! That's what's stupid, how the exact same letter configuration can have vastly different pronunciations depending on context. You know how hard that makes it for people to learn them? Few languages NEED a pronunciation guide in their dictionaries like english does.

"re", on the other hand, is used as a prefix in DOZENS of words that don't mean to "do again", rectangle, repository, repair... and so on and so forth.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Cylinder and cyclical don't have the same "cy" sound than "cycle" and "recycle"! That's what's stupid, how the exact same letter configuration can have vastly different pronunciations depending on context. You know how hard that makes it for people to learn them? Few languages NEED a pronunciation guide in their dictionaries like english does.

"re", on the other hand, is used as a prefix in DOZENS of words that don't mean to "do again", rectangle, repository, repair... and so on and so forth.
Actually, of those examples, only rectangle uses "re" in a way that does not mean "do again". :p

Kitty Sinatra

. . . you read repository as "pository again"?

Calleja

Calleja

red, rent, rescue, reach, read, render... pick your own!

Kitty Sinatra

. . . I think you've lost it, Mex. "Re" as a prefix means something akin to "do again." None of those listed words has a prefix

Chad Sexington

Garbledina

Oh I see what you mean in terms of pronunciation. Funny how I miss that. I think about words in terms of their spelling and so it just doesn't faze me. And you raise a valid point with 're'. I think it was one of those things that I asked as a kid and it just always stuck with me because no adult could give a valid answer.

Edit: I change my answer to Sinatrabeard's. It's totally about the prefix. I rescind (can you scind?!) my concession that your point was valid! BWAHAHA.

Calleja

Calleja

. . . I think you've lost it, Mex. "Re" as a prefix means something akin to "do again." None of those listed words has a prefix

..which is exactly the point I'm making, "relax" doesn't have a prefix. Duh?

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

red, rent, rescue, reach, read, render... pick your own!
Most of those work, since "re" isn't a prefix for most of them.

Except "rescue". "re" is a prefix meaning "do again" for that one. Ironically, it's the rest of the word whose meaning has changed over time.

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

. . . I think you've lost it, Mex. \\"Re\\" as a prefix means something akin to \\"do again.\\" None of those listed words has a prefix

..which is exactly the point I'm making, "relax" doesn't have a prefix. Duh?[/QUOTE]

Incorrect. :toocool:

Kitty Sinatra

But it is horrible, in that words that look like they have a prefix don't. After all "refuse" doesn't mean put a new fuse in.

Calleja

Calleja

[/COLOR]
. . . I think you've lost it, Mex. \\\"Re\\\" as a prefix means something akin to \\\"do again.\\\" None of those listed words has a prefix

..which is exactly the point I'm making, "relax" doesn't have a prefix. Duh?
Incorrect. :toocool:[/QUOTE]

Fine, an historical prefix that DOES NOT mean "do again". The point is "re" means "do again" very rarely if you take into account all "re-" words.

Gusto

Gusto

Yeah, wow, it's like language and pronunciation change as you move to different places and time periods or something.

evilmike

evilmike

Out of curiosity, how much mileage is everyone putting in right now?

PatrThom

PatrThom

I am currently averaging about 300 feet per week.

--Patrick

Kitty Sinatra

Speaking of fucked up languages . . . what gender is a Mexican bicycle? Is it the same as a French or Italian bicycle?

(And a vibrator's male, right?)

Calleja

Calleja

Vibrator's male, bicycle is female.

Chazwozel

Fixed-Gear Bicycle

Pros:

They're really light, relatively easy to repair, and in a flat urban environment can go a little faster for the effort put in. They also supposedly promote more efficient cycling.

Cons:

You can't coast with them, so they can be really dangerous to use if you don't know what you're doing, particularly in traffic. And they make hills pretty much hell.

Also, a lot of stupid as hell hipsters only get ones which have no brakes because they're more \\"pure\\". And since most hipsters aren't experienced bike messengers, being anywhere near a hipster on one of these can be hazardous to your health (or your car's health).
More 'pure'? Since when the fuck did this trend of hipsters thinking they're the authority on bikes start?

Steven Soderburgin

Hipsters co-opting some aspect of culture and declaring themselves supreme arbiters of that item is nothing new.

PatrThom

PatrThom

YAOMTC

[Earthbound bicycle music]

Chazwozel

Hipsters co-opting some aspect of culture and declaring themselves supreme arbiters of that item is nothing new.

This really explains why I've noticed so many douchenozzles in the Philly metro area riding around on fixed gear bikes. They like to gather at the 'love' park outside of city hall.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

While they often don't express it at the right times, or at the right people, there's a reason why NYC cops despise cyclists.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I used to live and work in lower and mid Manhattan. Trust me, I understand. :)

--Patrick

Steven Soderburgin

bikes own