Bioengineered teeth!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool article from the current issue of PNAS (Proceedings of the National Academy of Science). Could be the start of replacement organs/tissues. Very cool.

Here's an excerpt.
Ikeda said:
et al.[/i]]In our current study, we describe a fully functioning tooth replacement achieved by transplantation of a bioengineered tooth germ into the alveolar bone of a lost tooth region in an adult mouse. We propose this as a model for future organ replacement therapy. The bioengineered tooth, which was erupted and reached occlusion in the oral environment, had the correct tooth structure, hardness of mineralized tissues for mastication, and responsiveness to experimental orthodontic treatment and noxious stimulation in cooperation with tissues in the oral and maxillofacial regions. Our results thus demonstrate the potential of bioengineered organ replacement for use in future regenerative therapies.
Full article

R

rabbitgod

Woah, that's neat. I've heard about experiments like this, but those projects didn't have full tooth growth.

I'm interested in this because I have soft enamel and have had a lot of work done. It's actually faster to list the teeth that have never had work rather than those that have.

I wouldn't mind going through the teething process again if it meant that I'd have my own teeth again.

C

Chazwozel

drawn_inward said:
Cool article from the current issue of PNAS (Proceedings of the National Academy of Science). Could be the start of replacement organs/tissues. Very cool.

Here's an excerpt.
\"Ikeda said:
et al.[/i]\":3e5rnm5b]In our current study, we describe a fully functioning tooth replacement achieved by transplantation of a bioengineered tooth germ into the alveolar bone of a lost tooth region in an adult mouse. We propose this as a model for future organ replacement therapy. The bioengineered tooth, which was erupted and reached occlusion in the oral environment, had the correct tooth structure, hardness of mineralized tissues for mastication, and responsiveness to experimental orthodontic treatment and noxious stimulation in cooperation with tissues in the oral and maxillofacial regions. Our results thus demonstrate the potential of bioengineered organ replacement for use in future regenerative therapies.
Full article[/quote:3e5rnm5b]

Ah good ol' PNAS (pronounced Penis).

*Seriously, P-E-N-I-S is censored. Come on now...

Chazwozel said:
drawn_inward said:

Here's an excerpt.
\"Ikeda said:
et al.[/i]\":1yn2iaud]In our current study, we describe a fully functioning tooth replacement achieved by transplantation of a bioengineered tooth germ into the alveolar bone of a lost tooth region in an adult mouse. We propose this as a model for future organ replacement therapy. The bioengineered tooth, which was erupted and reached occlusion in the oral environment, had the correct tooth structure, hardness of mineralized tissues for mastication, and responsiveness to experimental orthodontic treatment and noxious stimulation in cooperation with tissues in the oral and maxillofacial regions. Our results thus demonstrate the potential of bioengineered organ replacement for use in future regenerative therapies.
Full article
Ah good ol' PNAS (pronounced Penis).

*Seriously, P-E-N-I-S is censored. Come on now...[/quote:1yn2iaud]

you can turn the filter on and off in the control panel.

I see your quoted penis and raise you boobies.

On topic: I too have had to much work done on my teeth. In fact the exact number of teeth I have never had work done on is 4. My wisdom teeth. Which I need removed as they are impacted. Outside of those though, every tooth in my head has had work done on it.

Thread Necromancer said:
On topic: I too have had to much work done on my teeth. In fact the exact number of teeth I have never had work done on is 4. My wisdom teeth. Which I need removed as they are impacted. Outside of those though, every tooth in my head has had work done on it.
Potentially, you could have genetically modified teeth to give you the perfect smile. But, I think that it has bigger potential like organ replacement or possible limb replacement.

G

Greendog

drawn_inward said:
[quote="Thread Necromancer":x8se34r8]
Potentially, you could have genetically modified teeth to give you the perfect smile. But, I think that it has bigger potential like organ replacement or possible limb replacement.[/quote:x8se34r8]

That can only end badly...

W

WolfOfOdin

Countdown to an insane religious group either protesting or bombing the lab because 'they're playing god".

WolfOfOdin said:
Countdown to an insane religious group either protesting or bombing the lab because 'they're playing god".
No one but God should be making canadians with healing powers and metal skeletons... FACT.

R

rabbitgod

@Li3n said:
WolfOfOdin said:
No one but God should be making canadians with healing powers and metal skeletons... FACT.
This is a religion I can get behind. Where can I subscribe to your newsletter?

Thread Necromancer said:
This. But I have only one wisdom tooth remaining which needs to be removed by a surgeon since it's placed in my jaw at some crazy angle. And since I already had this done to another wisdom tooth I know it's REALLY NASTY.
And I'm scared as hell of the dentist as it is.

rabbitgod said:
@Li3n said:
WolfOfOdin said:
This is a religion I can get behind. Where can I subscribe to your newsletter?
You don't... ur newsletter subscribes to you...

Status
Not open for further replies.