[Question] Blue ray / TV / surround connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heyo,

As can be read in the Whine thread, somehow, something in my surround sound system went "poof". Easiest/most obvious solution seems to be to just hook up a BR-player to the lot.
Currently, I have my TV connected to a digital receiver with HDMI. My surround sound system is 5.2, 5 DVD-player, and is (was) connected to the TV by SCART and to the digicorder with whatever you call those yellow-white-and-red sets of 3 cables (2 for audio, 1 for video - I don't use the video one).
Anyway, regular TV comes in through the digital receiver, HDMI puts nice HD image on screen and the surround system gives (stereo, I guess?) sound. For DVDs, the audio's supplied by the surround system and the video's passed up to the TV via SCART.

Suddenly, mid-play, the DVD player started acting up. Loss of one colour, then another, then they cam back but all wavey,... Yeah. I tried another SCART-in on the TV, I tried a different SCART-cable, I tried a different DVD, I tried the DVD in a different player. As far as I can tell, the problem's either the SCART-out connector on my surround system, or the system itself. Audio plays without a problem.
The ONLY other exit the surround system has is S-Video, the TV also has an S-Video IN so I might be able to bypass the problem that way. Unfortunately, I don't have an S-Video cable lying around to try if it'll help.
The alternative (if I'm going out to buy something new anyway) is to buy a Blue Ray player and just use the surround system purely for sound. The TV has a second HDMI-in open, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Getting around to my question(s):
A) Is it worth it to go buy an S-Video cable to try it out?
B) Since a BR-player with 5.2-audio connectivity seems impossible to find and I don't intend to replace the whole system (all cables and wires are worked in behind wood pannelling, I'm not opening all that up), is it posible to hook it up so that it'll still give sound for discs played from a BR-player? There's a digital audio in (I *think* it's an optical digital audio in?) open on the surround system, so I could just use that I guess, but I don't know if that'll pass surround or stereo. If not, can I somehow convince the surround system to pick up the sound from the TV?

I'm a little confused. Is your surround sound system part of the 5 disc DVD player, or a separate component?

HDMI carries surround sound audio. Digital audio jacks carry surround sound audio.

If you buy a bluray, and connect it to the surround sound system with either HDMI or Digital audio, it will output surround sound and, in the case of an HDMI connection, send the video onto the TV via HDMI.

If the DVD player and surround sound system are integrated, it may be more complicated, but as long as it has digital audio in, you should be able to get digital audio out fromt he bluray player and be fine.

I had to draw a flow chart to figure out what was going on (plus had to look up SCART... you crazy Europeans you).

What model is your digital receiver? What model is your HD TV?

How does sound currently get to the receiver from the DVD player? You mentioned the DVD player is connected to the TV via SCART... does the audio travel through the SCART to the TV and then through an HDMI cable to the receiver?

Nothing like trying to integrate old outdated technology with cutting edge stuff eh?

P.S. - 5.2 surround. Geez, do you have your setup in an auditorium? What could you possibly need two subwoofers for? :)

Does the surround sound from the DVD/Tuner/Amplifier work? What inputs and outputs does it have, in particular does it have HDMI and/or digital audio (typically labelled SPDIF)?

I have the double subwoofers because my brother wanted to be able to hear his opera the way it was meant to :p
Azurephoenix : the SCART carried the sound as well, yes. The digital receiver's the only type you can get in Belgium - a dc-ad2000 .
My TV's an HD ready (yeah yeah, I know) 32" LG. I'll be damned if I go look up the exact type, but it has 2 HDMI ins, 2 SCART ins, a digital audio in, and whatever else.

stienman : if I put the amplifier/tuner on radio, it works perfectly. It plays CDs without a problem. However, the output through SCART is busted, the digital audio in apparently as well (bought a cheapo DVD-player to hook it up and check it out :p), so...Seems it's a connection problem somewhere, probably inside the machine.
It does not have HDMI, it does have 2 SCARTs, digital audio (but inoperable), S-Video, CVBS, and the regular yellow and red audio connectors. Which are currently hooked up to the digital receiver and, guess what,that doesn't work anymore, either (the sound still comes through but there's a very loud humming so you can't make anything out).

I have tool nor equipment to replace/repair the connector bit at the back so...Guess it's a new amplifier/tuner/DVD-player.

Well, if you've already traced the problem to the DVD tuner unit then I won't waste anymore time with that. However, that means you need a new amplifier A/V unit. Hooray and crap at the same time!

I'm assuming all your speakers are connected with standard speaker wire (as in they are not some proprietary connection hooked up to your tuner)? Are the subwoofers driven by the amplifier or are they standalone units with their own plug ins? Just for the sake of curiosity... how large and powerful are the subs? I only ask as I have a rather powerful 10" subwoofer as part of my home theatre and it can be absolutely monstrously loud.

If you are considering replacing the amplifier/tuner unit I would recommend getting one that has multiple HDMI inputs. Mine has 4. One for the HDTV cable box, one for my xbox, one for my blu-ray and one for my PC. Having everything connected by HDMI makes things so bloody simple and really reduces the amounts of cables floating around.

Yes, Driven by the amplifier, theyre the speakers and subwoofer of http://www.manualslib.com/manual/126654/Philips-Mx5700d.html but I have no clue exactly how strong they are.

I ended up replacing it with a new surround system, but very much on the cheap (only one HDMI exit :p). Reason's not just saving money: I went to 3 different audio shops, and all of them only sold surround systems with proprietary plugs for the speakers. This was the ONLY set I found with the same connector type (being, just clamps on open cable, the way it should be). Oh well, it all works again now, and DVD-TV is now HDMI instead of SCART :p

Oh hey, here it is: WIN SUBWOOFER
8 Ω
Impedance
Speaker drivers
4" woofer
Frequency response
30 Hz – 120 Hz
Dimensions
- Base
diameter 240 x 40 (mm)
- Tube
110 x 900 (mm)
Weight
4.5 kg

Proprietary speaker connections suck so hard.

Well I'm happy to hear you're problem is solved... and now you have proper HDMI connections instead of SCART stuff. Hooray for you... now sit back and relax to a good movie :).

Proprietary speaker connections suck so hard.

Well I'm happy to hear you're problem is solved... and now you have proper HDMI connections instead of SCART stuff. Hooray for you... now sit back and relax to a good movie :).
No, now worry about my dishwasher giving out yesterday, since I didn't have enough other stuff going wrong yet :p
I swear, my "magic touch" with computers has turned around and become a "death touch" for anything electrical around me. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.