[Gaming] Borderlands 2: Tonight. Are you ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fairly certain that they intended to each class to not play exactly like the other. Otherwise, why have different classes?

Necronic

Staff member
One of my favorite things that they did in this one was to remove the Skill Point system for guns, which allows you to use any gun at any time. This is incredibly valuable when you take ammo and different monster types into consideration. I try to keep 1 sniper, 1 AR, 1 pistol, and 1 RL in my gear at all times. I switch up to the thing I have the most ammo in whenever fights are easy. And I switch to the RL whenever I have to "Fight for your life!"

Oh wait, I thought you were talking about walkers, you're talking about the constructors (whihc is exactly the word you used.) Sniper rifles are still the way to go with them. Just unload a clip into the eye. Getting a high speed sniper rifle is key though.
See, the thing with that is Constructors can protect their eye with a shield, even without a shield drone. Also, being in position to hit it in the eye also means that your able to be hit with the laser and missiles. My strategy is usually just to find a place where it can't target me and just whittle it down to nothing, if able.

One of my favorite things that they did in this one was to remove the Skill Point system for guns, which allows you to use any gun at any time. This is incredibly valuable when you take ammo and different monster types into consideration. I try to keep 1 sniper, 1 AR, 1 pistol, and 1 RL in my gear at all times. I switch up to the thing I have the most ammo in whenever fights are easy. And I switch to the RL whenever I have to "Fight for your life!"
Yeah, I mean some classes still get bonuses for certain guns in trees (Commando for Rifles, for example), but they're not big deterrents like in 1. I felt like an idiot for using a Sniper Rifle as a Soldier in 1, but sometimes you just needed to.

Necronic

Staff member
See, the thing with that is Constructors can protect their eye with a shield, even without a shield drone. Also, being in position to hit it in the eye also means that your able to be hit with the laser and missiles. My strategy is usually just to find a place where it can't target me and just whittle it down to nothing, if able.
Whenever they throw the shield up you pretty much just have to hide or kill other stuff.

Necronic

Staff member
Finished my first playthrough the other day with Zero. The final fight is pretty amazing. It's a well designed game in that it really brings out some emotional ambivalence with some situations. I've started playing through on the higher difficulty and boy-howdy is it tough. There are mobs I've never seen before that really ramp up the difficulty. One of the nastier ones I've fought so far are the Armoured psychos, they can only be hurt by shooting them in the head.

I think explosive weapons work well on the armored ones, as the AOE helps hit the head more often. I know explosive weapons make the shielded Nomads a joke by doing damage through the shield.

I think explosive weapons work well on the armored ones, as the AOE helps hit the head more often. I know explosive weapons make the shielded Nomads a joke by doing damage through the shield.
Fire worked well on them too (I hadn't found a Corrosive weapon when I first ran into them).

I rely far to heavily on fire weapons, especially when Zero starts getting the sniping ability that ignores shields.

Necronic

Staff member
Didn't know one of those skills existed. I've dumped everything into the sniping tree so far, guess I should look through some of the other skills. Can't say I'm that impressed with the top skill on the sniping tree tbh. Even though it's possible to stack it 1k times it's pretty much impossible to get it above 5 or so. Although it is pretty good for dealing with constructors or other baddies where you have to dump a full clip into their critical spot.

As for the shield carrying nomads, my experience is that the special skills can negate the shield. With Axton and Zero it draws their fire to your ghost or your sentry, with the siren it puts them in the fetal position. Dunno if the gunzerker has an easy way around it.

I generally avoid explosive weapons (other than RLs) due to the slow bullet speed.

The slow bullet speed isn't really an issue unless your fighting Rats or Marauders. I've been using the gatling gun explosive weapons and they tend to be kinda awesome against anything that isn't a boss.

Necronic

Staff member
True enough, I guess that playing as Zero I'm almost always at range. For other classes/styles it would work better.

Didn't know one of those skills existed. I've dumped everything into the sniping tree so far, guess I should look through some of the other skills. Can't say I'm that impressed with the top skill on the sniping tree tbh. Even though it's possible to stack it 1k times it's pretty much impossible to get it above 5 or so. Although it is pretty good for dealing with constructors or other baddies where you have to dump a full clip into their critical spot.

As for the shield carrying nomads, my experience is that the special skills can negate the shield. With Axton and Zero it draws their fire to your ghost or your sentry, with the siren it puts them in the fetal position. Dunno if the gunzerker has an easy way around it.

I generally avoid explosive weapons (other than RLs) due to the slow bullet speed.
The quick reload after kill ability is a must if you're going sniper spec. Same as it was with the sniper from the first borderlands. I've found that much of the sniper tree is pretty much the same as the first Borderlands. Then again, it was my favorite tree, so I'm kind of glad.

As for Nomads carrying shields,i find it helpfull to shoot their feet (if you can see them) with a flame weapon.
They will then usually put the shield to the side to yell something and BAM! headshot.

You can actually hit them in the head if you're really good with your aim. You can shoot through the slot that they look through. Their arms are also exposed on their non shield arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.