Export thread

BP mess up again... by losing a laptop with claims data

Chibibar

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/03/29/business/main20048504.shtml

how?!?!?! Considering how many laptops in the news reported are missing, stolen and such you would think the system would have better encryption!

Mathias

Mathias

Well that dude's getting fired.

curbstreet

So, does anyone here even blink an eye at the thought that BP lost this on purpose. It was like the first thing that I thought of and it's a perfect crime. You lose it on purpose then rush to inform the media about it and maybe you look foolish in the short term but long term 8 million plus people who will have to refill or resubmit paperwork and many off them may just throw thier hands up and walk away.

I'm growing ever more cynical about corporations and politics because the only thing you can depend one is that both corporations and politicans only seem to do the absolute minimum by law and I no longer care.

strawman

strawman

Thomas said no one will have to resubmit a claim because of the lost data.
The laptop was not the only place that data was stored.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Actually, it says no one will have to resubmit anything and they're offering to pay for credit monitoring to ensure that in case the information is used nefariously, it can be caught before too much damage is done.

Zappit

Zappit

These people can't stop any leaks. So these folks might get their claims just in time for an ID thief to swipe it. :mad: Damn BP idiots.

curbstreet

listen"Frankie Williamson" I'm not going to let "facts" stop my from posting knee jerK reactions on the web when I'm half drunk or even when I',m totoally ripped "lke now"
but yeah I had a feeling that there would be a way to recover the data I'm just at a point right now where I'm so disenfranchesed that I must feel how a Fox news viewer feels all the time... shaky sweaty and ready to party!!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

listen"Frankie Williamson" I'm not going to let "facts" stop my from posting knee jerK reactions on the web when I'm half drunk or even when I',m totoally ripped "lke now"
but yeah I had a feeling that there would be a way to recover the data I'm just at a point right now where I'm so disenfranchesed that I must feel how a Fox news viewer feels all the time... shaky sweaty and ready to party!!

... Le Quack? Is that you?

Kovac

Kovac

When I was working for Chevron they had equipped all of their laptops with software encryption with the eventual goal of embedded hardware encryption.

Why the heck is BP so behind?

curbstreet

i wish my laptop was equipped with nachos

Mmmmm.....nachos

Chibibar

When I was working for Chevron they had equipped all of their laptops with software encryption with the eventual goal of embedded hardware encryption.

Why the heck is BP so behind?
umm.. they are cheap? ;)