Export thread

Cable Modem Buying

crono1224

Comcast ISP***
Alright I think I need a new cable modem as this currently dies between 1-3 times on average a day and can get up to 7-10 times a day. Currently it seems to die more when there is a load on it, such as I have been dling/uploading torrents to a private tracker today, and it reset ~6 times in the last couple hours, (the actual speed of DL was about ~20kbs, and low upload). But it also resets while playing games and sometimes it seems when just browsing the web.

Usually what happens is it dies and I have to unplug and replug it, and that doesn't always fix it the first time, or even quickly. So I'm not sure if anyone has any solutions or any suggestions for a good cable modem to buy.

Surfboard 5100

There are several splits, the comcast guy has stated it is getting enough power. It goes from the wall into the modem, then into a D Link 524 Router. From there one goes to one computer, another to a switch, which takes it to my computer and my wifes.

Errors in log of cable modem are :
2010-06-17 21:29:45 3-Critical R002.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2010-06-17 21:29:40 3-Critical R004.0 Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 timeout

Down Stream
Signal to Noise Ratio 37 dB
Power Level -5 dBmV (this can fluctiate, but right around there)

UpStream
Power Level 55 dBmV

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

First question. You say "several splits". How many splits between where the cable enters your location and the modem?

Your initial signal numbers look good. Have you asked support about the condition of your node or adjacent nodes? My Thomson eMTA (phone & cable modem in one box) would reset itself as often as 6x a day. T3 and T4 time outs were the culprit. There was a noisy node adjacent to mine bleeding trouble to the others. That looks to have been fixed. Anecdotal evidence suggested my make/model of modem was iffy at best.

They eventually came back and replaced the Thomson with an Arris TM702G. This is an eMTA device, which cannot be bought or installed by home users. Mainly due to the telephony side and 911 issues. It hasn't rebooted since the Comcast guy left yesterday. A Thomson likely would have reset itself 3-4 times just today.

Have you posted over at dslreports? There's a public forum plus a direct line to Comcast where you can post private messages to comcast support.

crono1224

Actually I think it is only one split when it first comes into the house, one directly to the cable modem, and the other to tvs. I haven't talked to anyone on DSL reports though, I may do that though I am sadly busy with work now.