Cadences – A question for those who've served.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

Zarvox

To get in shape, a buddy and I are going running these days. We're thinking about starting to count cadence as we do it, partially for to pass the time, partially because it's fun, partially because of the better aerobic exercise, and partially to piss off the hippies who overhear us. For those of you who don't know what a cadence (or jodie) is, check
Problem is, all the running cadences I know are military. Neither my buddy nor I have served. Is it appropriate for us to use these cadences? I can certainly see how "Gimme that old marine corps spirit" would be off-limits to a non-marine, but what about something that doesn't mention any particular service, like "Everywhere we go"? What about something that doesn't mention violence, like "I can run to Haiti like this"? Is there a line, and if so, where?

Mama mama can't you see, What (your thing here) has done to me! Used to go out on dates, now I stay home and.... read a book

---------- Post added at 03:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 AM ----------

On another note personally I say no. But I think it would be acceptable to edit the candeces that you know to be non-military or make up your own

M

MrZenMonkey

Heya Zarvox,
Thanks for asking. That shows a lot of respect. My personal opinion is, if you are not preparing to enter service, in service, or a veteran of service, please leave service cadences alone.
There are plenty of totally offensive cadences out there without turning to military ones. Think of it like singing an Alma mater to a school you didn't attend.

When I was prepping for the army, I bought cadences on tape (tapes are these archaic things before CDs) and not all were army specific.

Now a-days you have google and a quick search turned up some of my favorites.

I wish all the ladies
Were bells on a tower
And I was the bellboy
I'd bang 'em by the hour

I wish all the ladies
Were pies on a shelf
And I was the baker
I'd eat 'em all myself

I wish all the ladies
Were holes on a road
And I was the dumptruck
I'd fill 'em with my load

I wish all the ladies
Were bricks in a pile
And I was the mason
I'd lay 'em all like tile

on and on...

Enjoy! Thank you again for asking.
(also I suggest you check out P90 for getting into shape)

Z

Zarvox

Gotcha, Señor ZM. The big issue is that I already know a full running session's worth of military cadences. I can pick up new ones (and I'd love to expand my repertoire, if only to tease my honey, who does not like cadences), but it's a bother, y'know? Still, if'n it's disrespectful to use the ones I know, I guess I don't have much choice in the matter, eh? :)

Dave

Staff member
One of my Staff Sergeants used to sing Phil Collins "I Don't Care Any More". It works remarkably well for a running cadence.

T

Twitch

When you say Military cadences do you mean just ones they use or ones that refer to them directly? Because I don't think all the ones you have there are service specific (I regret not listening to them before saying that)

Sadly I don't remember any running cadences. I can give you a butt ton (imperial unit) of marching cadences.

W

Wasabi Poptart

Personally, I couldn't give a rat's ass if you sang military cadences when you ran. They don't mean anything 'special' to me. It was just a way to keep time as we ran.
Pretty basically the same thing my husband said when I asked him. It's not like you're wearing the uniform and pretending to be in the military. It's just cadence.

C

Chazwozel

Just use music to keep your time or talk to each other to pass the time. To be honest, I can't think of anything douchier than two guys running down the street singing a cadence to themselves.

D

Dusty668

I served in the navy back during GW I.
Personally, I couldn't give a rat's ass if you sang military cadences when you ran. They don't mean anything 'special' to me. It was just a way to keep time as we ran.

:uhhuh: Yup, they sounded great with at least 5-10 people sounding off, and they are a great way to help regulate breathing on the run, but I don't think having just two folks will give a great effect. Singing a Baptist Hymn won't make you like barbeque, and singing a jody call, is just that, singing.

Don't get me wrong, they are powerful en masse, I remember chanting early morning rain, followed by a final Redleg Artillery, Queen of Battle round as our entire brigade finished an all night 20 mile marching movement right as the sun came up over the Kaserne, and it was like we were moving the world with our voices, but I was young and beer deprived too. :D

Holding a conversation is always good on a run but if you want a non military cadence I always like to throw in the last part of the Violent Femmes song Kiss Off.

I take one one one 'cause you left me
And two two two for my family
And 3 3 3 for my heartache
And 4 4 4 for my headaches
And 5 5 5 for my lonely
And 6 6 6 for my sorrow
And 7 7 7 for no tomorrow
And 8 8 8 I forget what 8 was for
And 9 9 9 for a lost god
And 10 10 10 for everything everything everything everything

I threw this in on a battalion run once we got some odd looks and I was never asked to call cadence for a run again. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.