Cheap Windows XP purhcase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rubicon

any stores either online or regular brick & mortar that have copies of XP Home and/or Pro for $100 or less?

C

Chronos[Ha-G]

Hmm - not sure. From what I've heard, it's hard to find actual copies of XP now that Microsoft's been pushing Vista everywhere. Love to see someone prove me wrong, though HINT HINT.

C

Chronos[Ha-G]

David said:
NO PIRATE HINTS DAMMIT.

...before you ask, that's the first thing on google images if you type in "pirate hint".

I think Microsoft fixes the price. I don't think that software retailers can reduce the price at all. The best you're probably going to find is an OEM version.

figmentPez

Staff member
Mav said:
laptop im buying has vista, and while they offer an xp option its an additional $150 to the cost. this saves me like $60, thanks.
Upgrade to Win 7 instead. Or just use Vista, it's got some good points.

R

Rubicon

figmentPez said:
Mav said:
laptop im buying has vista, and while they offer an xp option its an additional $150 to the cost. this saves me like $60, thanks.
Win 7 won't come out till October and the RC client expires in what, August? Considering Win 7 will be fairly cheaper to buy standalone compared to when Vista came out and it's pricing, I'll wait for Win7.

I've got Vista on my home machine now and yea, it's fairly like XP after tweaking it but I know I'm losing some resources simply by using the more bloated of the two OSes. I love XP compared to Vista.

Mav said:
figmentPez said:
Mav said:
Win 7 won't come out till October and the RC client expires in what, August? Considering Win 7 will be fairly cheaper to buy standalone compared to when Vista came out and it's pricing, I'll wait for Win7.

I've got Vista on my home machine now and yea, it's fairly like XP after tweaking it but I know I'm losing some resources simply by using the more bloated of the two OSes. I love XP compared to Vista.
The RC expires next spring. The Beta already did. The RTM should happen sometime in the next week or so per wzor.net (site has been down for a few days)

figmentPez

Staff member
Mav said:
Win 7 won't come out till October and the RC client expires in what, August?
March 1, 2010 is when the RC will start shutting down every two hours. It's the beta that expires completely in August (its already doing the shut-down thing).

R

Rubicon

Ah. Well I'mma nab XP for now and look into Win7 later on. I know it's a vast improvement over Vista but I'm not gonna wait till it's official release to buy a new PC. I know I could use the RC but I'd rather stick with XP for now. Thanks for the newegg link $90 and no shipping is perfect.

Why waste any money buying XP when the laptop comes with Vista pre-installed? It just seems like a waste of money to me.

From what I understand, you will not be able to upgrade from XP to Win7, you will have to either pay full install price or upgrade from vista.

figmentPez

Staff member
Mav said:
Ah. Well I'mma nab XP for now and look into Win7 later on. I know it's a vast improvement over Vista but I'm not gonna wait till it's official release to buy a new PC.
The coupon program for "free" upgrading to Win 7 was supposed to have started already, wasn't it? Yeah, checking Dell.com it seems they're already doing it (though I'm not sure what systems qualify). You might want to check into that.

R

Rubicon

figmentPez said:
Mav said:
Ah. Well I'mma nab XP for now and look into Win7 later on. I know it's a vast improvement over Vista but I'm not gonna wait till it's official release to buy a new PC.
The coupon program for "free" upgrading to Win 7 was supposed to have started already, wasn't it? Yeah, checking Dell.com it seems they're already doing it (though I'm not sure what systems qualify). You might want to check into that.
This. It's gonna be a Dell laptop, I get a 7% discount from my job on Dell brand computers so thats the handy part. The upgrade to Win7 deal is just icing on the cake.

It's not a waste Bowie, Vista is bad enough to warrant a downgrade. Great example, before I started playing WoW as a time killer, I was hoping around F2P mmo's looking for a game. I remember wanting to try out Project Entropia a few years back but never did right? So I look it up and check out their site, they don't support Vista at all. You can't even install the game on Vista, just XP and below. Granted it's not the greatest example but it's just one of the little things, and with Vista, there are a lot of little things that add up.. UAC was so annoying that even though you can disable it with a few clicks, it's turned me off Vista entirely. That was Vista's big pitch next to Aero, tighter security.. a simple dialog that asks for permission to run something is not security. If spambots can navigate registration captchas, a virus can easily detect where the Yes/Accept/Ok button is on the UAC dialog.

Besides if I really wanna upgrade to Win7 and even if I didnt get the Dell coupon/discount, I could simply backup my data, reformat with Vista, buy Win7 upgrade edition, upgrade from there.

Mav said:
figmentPez said:
Mav said:
This. It's gonna be a Dell laptop, I get a 7% discount from my job on Dell brand computers so thats the handy part. The upgrade to Win7 deal is just icing on the cake.

It's not a waste Bowie, Vista is bad enough to warrant a downgrade. Great example, before I started playing WoW as a time killer, I was hoping around F2P mmo's looking for a game. I remember wanting to try out Project Entropia a few years back but never did right? So I look it up and check out their site, they don't support Vista at all. You can't even install the game on Vista, just XP and below. Granted it's not the greatest example but it's just one of the little things, and with Vista, there are a lot of little things that add up.. UAC was so annoying that even though you can disable it with a few clicks, it's turned me off Vista entirely. That was Vista's big pitch next to Aero, tighter security.. a simple dialog that asks for permission to run something is not security. If spambots can navigate registration captchas, a virus can easily detect where the Yes/Accept/Ok button is on the UAC dialog.

Besides if I really wanna upgrade to Win7 and even if I didnt get the Dell coupon/discount, I could simply backup my data, reformat with Vista, buy Win7 upgrade edition, upgrade from there.
I'm not saying that Vista is the best operating system there is, but 100.00 is a lot of money to shell out for something that will be obsolete soon.

A

Aisaku

Just out of curiosity, how much can one expect win7 to cost when it's out?

R

Rubicon

Bowielee said:
I'm not saying that Vista is the best operating system there is, but 100.00 is a lot of money to shell out for something that will be obsolete soon.
XP is not gonna be obsolete soon. Most businesses are still using it or 2k. And a lot of businesses that got new pc's or replaced pc's, wanted to downgrade from vista to xp. Vista's low adoption rate is one of the factors of it's demise. XP is still widely used, and will be for a while. Hell I work tech support and even though Win7 comes out in a few months, we probably won't offer true support for it in my company for another year or so plus, and even then we still troubleshoot as far back as 98SE..

I'll gladly spend $100 for XP even if I only get a year or two's use out of it before upgrading. Something really important is going to have to come out to make me want to upgrade though. Unless all the applications I use suddenly stop supporting XP and require Vista or Win7.. then I'll get Win7.

Status
Not open for further replies.