Export thread

"Cheating" with golf?

Chibibar

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/d...Phil-Mickelson-of-cheating-?urn=golf%2C216497

ok. So the guy has a club that is legal within the framework of the rule, but is still consider "cheating"? (I guess maybe that is why it is under quotes) I mean it is a technicality, but still legal within the rule given.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Those clubs are legal within the rules. It's not cheating. Anybody whining should just go on the hunt for vintage golf clubs.

Hylian

Hylian

The guy didn't do anything wrong. He was using advantage that was freely available for anyone to use.

Kitty Sinatra

I'm rather surprised that grooves in a club would be better than whatever technological advances in club technology have been made since 1990.

Soliloquy

The real question is: Why the heck would clubs made before 1990 be excluded from the rules?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm rather surprised that grooves in a club would be better than whatever technological advances in club technology have been made since 1990.
If he's only using the club for when it's in the rough, it's likely the other improvements wouldn't matter. This isn't cheating, but it's definitely bending the spirit of the rules. If he can deal with the stigma of what he's doing, then more power to him.

The real question is: Why the heck would clubs made before 1990 be excluded from the rules?
Likely to allow veterans with vintage sets of clubs compete with their favorite clubs, instead of forcing them to get used to a new set mid-tour.

Soliloquy

Likely to allow veterans with vintage sets of clubs compete with their favorite clubs, instead of forcing them to get used to a new set mid-tour.
From the article, it looks like it's only PING clubs that are exempted. Because of a Lawsuit. Huh.

However, golfers are expert at wiggling their way out of tough situations, and they discovered that a lawsuit Ping filed against the PGA Tour and the USGA way back in 1993 exempted wedges made before 1990 from the new rules.
The world makes no sense, sometimes.