Export thread

Coin Money

rabbitgod

I love coin money. I like that I can just run into a convenience store and buy a candy bar without opening my wallet. I have like 50 USD in Mexican Peso coins floating around my house (I never trade back when I go there, I just keep it for the next trip)

What I don't like is when people use it for larger purchases. I count up all the money for my company. And one of our facilities had $45 in dollar coins on Wednesday. Then $44 yesterday!

What the fuck, that's bill currency country. Who has that kind of coin sitting around? Scrooge McDuck being the obvious exception.

Shakey

Shakey

I hate coins. Mainly because as a kid I can remember swallowing coins to see how long it would take to poop them out. Now I look at coins and wonder how many people have pooped this coin out. You can't poop out bills.

rabbitgod

That sounds like a dare.

Kitty Sinatra

What I don't like is when people use it for larger purchases. I count up all the money for my company. And one of our facilities had $45 in dollar coins on Wednesday. Then $44 yesterday!
I'm lost. is your company a store of some sort? And does it receive only one customer a day? Otherwise, I can't understand how your facility having 45 coins would result from one person carrying around a pocketful of gold.

Dave

Dave

Can't poop out bills? Time to experiment. SCIENCE!!

Shakey

Shakey

I'm guessing most of the bill would be digested, but please give it a go.:D

rabbitgod

I'm lost. is your company a store of some sort? And does it receive only one customer a day? Otherwise, I can't understand how your facility having 45 coins would result from one person carrying around a pocketful of gold.[/QUOTE]

Good question.

My company runs landfills. All of our prices are in whole dollars and there is no sales tax so we receive very little coin and give out no coin.

So this is the result of one man using 45 gold coins to pay his dumping fee...and then 44 the next day.

Kitty Sinatra

Ah. Smart man. He dumps off his garbage and his coin collection at the same time.;)

Chibibar

Ah. Smart man. He dumps off his garbage and his coin collection at the same time.;)

This is what I was thinking.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

I have always heard the plural of coin to be coins. So when you guys say coin and mean the plural, I can't help but think that it must be a euphemism for something else.

"Dude... got some rad coin from Sandy last night."

"Got any coin? Got a craving..."

Now I look at coins and wonder how many people have pooped this coin out.
:Leyla:AHMAGAD *cuddles debit card*

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

I put all my change in a jar and every now and then empty it out and put the money in my moneyz account. Usually have $75+ each dumping.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Usually have $75+ each dumping.
:Leyla:

Bonhomme Richard

Bonhomme Richard

I know a bunch of football stadiums that use dollar coins for change. It must be easier for the exchange. Perhaps the guy bringing the coins for the dump does something like that.

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

Also, if you have all coins, you can drastically lower the amount of cocaine on your personal currency.

Joe Johnson

Damn, if I got 45 dollars a dump, I'd already have 135 dollars today!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I prefer using a debit card, but coins are my second pick.

Gusto

Gusto

I'm in Canada, and compulsively break bills. I love having a good hefty weight of change in my pockets, and it's really convenient for coffeeshops, vending machines, bus fare, and tipping.

*counts*

I currently have around $16CAD in my pocket in change, which is fairly typical.

I also have a box somewhere in my room that contains $300CAD in rolled change. In fact, when I found this box again, it prompted me to make the first ever EPIC WIN thread.

:D

rabbitgod

I know a bunch of football stadiums that use dollar coins for change. It must be easier for the exchange. Perhaps the guy bringing the coins for the dump does something like that.

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

Also, if you have all coins, you can drastically lower the amount of cocaine on your personal currency.
That's a possibility. Post office stamp vending machines tend to use dollar coins as well for change.

Pojodan

I just avoid carrying hard cash of any kind for various reasons:

1. It ends up stuck in vending machines for snacks I don't need
  2. It ends up either wadded up and forgotten about
  3. It ends up making my steps noisey with clanking
  4. It gets ruined in the wash somehow
The only time I ever deliberately have cash is if I'm making a purchase of a specific ammount and want the transaction to be fast, or if I'm going somewhere where I'm unsure if I'll need to use paid parking.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I have €0.02 in coins on me, and €125 in bills, right now. And my credit and debet cards, hurray for plastic :-P

Denbrought

Denbrought

I have $2 and €2 in coins, then €30 and $10... I'm still wondering why I carry euros around in georgia ~_~

Other than to show people how ugly spain's king is, o/c.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I have $2 and €2 in coins, then €30 and $10... I'm still wondering why I carry euros around in georgia ~_~

Spanish coins are still better than the Belgian ones. Ugh, the king's face on EVERYTHING, how boring can you get? Much prefer German or French coins for the ones I see often, or Portugese or Greek for the rarer ones.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

I have €0.02 in coins on me, and €125 in bills, right now. And my credit and debet cards, hurray for plastic :-P
I'm wearing my pijamas right now.

Denbrought

Denbrought

I'm wearing my pijamas right now.[/QUOTE]
I'm wearing my wizard hat and a shirt.

Spanish coins are still better than the Belgian ones. Ugh, the king's face on EVERYTHING, how boring can you get? Much prefer German or French coins for the ones I see often, or Portugese or Greek for the rarer ones.[/quote]
German coins ftw, I love the aquila :3

Bubble181

Bubble181

I'm in a fraternity outfit, ready to go off to the beer festival. Away I go!
Soon, I'll be back with quite a bit less money :-P

figmentPez

figmentPez

I hate coins. Mainly because as a kid I can remember swallowing coins to see how long it would take to poop them out. Now I look at coins and wonder how many people have pooped this coin out. You can't poop out bills.
I'd rather have a penny someone has pooped than a dollar bill that's been someone's sweaty pocket. In my college biology class we took samples from bills and cultured the bacteria. Not only did most of the bills have coliform bacteria (indicitive of fecal contamination) but quite a few had anti-biotic resistant strains.

Why prefer the coin? Well, copper has anti-microbial properties, and metal coins in general are a much less hospitable place for microbes than the cotton and linen mixture of US bills.

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

as a kid I can remember swallowing coins to see how long it would take to poop them out.
Usually have $75+ each dumping.
:Leyla:

(was Vytamindi shocked at the sheer amount of coin, or at the odd correlation I saw?)

PatrThom

PatrThom

Not to mention that coins just last longer, meaning lower TCO for low denominations.

Yeah, coin/coins is a weird word, just like 'data' has lost its plural meaning ('The data was sufficient' really should be 'were'), but "How much coin do you have on you," and "How many coins do you have on you" really DO mean two different things.

Me, I just use "change."

--Patrick

Gill Kaiser

I have always heard the plural of coin to be coins. So when you guys say coin and mean the plural, I can't help but think that it must be a euphemism for something else.

"Dude... got some rad coin from Sandy last night."

"Got any coin? Got a craving..."
"Coin" when used in that context means "money", whereas "coins" means specifically the small metal forms of the currency.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Yeah, coin/coins is a weird word, just like 'data' has lost its plural meaning ('The data was sufficient' really should be 'were'), but "How much coin do you have on you," and "How many coins do you have on you" really DO mean two different things.
Datum is still used in a variety of professional settings.