Export thread

Compassion in the classroom

strawman

strawman

I had a whole nice post made up, then hit preview and it took away all my line breaks. I'm annoyed. But the article is very good, and I may come back later when I don't have to argue with a proxy to weigh in with more detail. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/aspergers-diary/200912/compassion-in-the-classroom

Troll

Troll

Great article. This made me groan:

Several comments on the article reminded me strongly of the controversial comments made by talk show pundit Michael Savage, who said that autism is “…a brat who hasn't been told to cut the act out.”
I cannot believe some people. It would be hard for me not to punch anyone who said that around me.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Yes indeed. Thank you.

I've mentioned here in the Forums that I, too, wish to be a teacher. I've taken the courses, done the training... but still sometimes I feel like I'm not ready. It's stories like this that steel my resolve, however.

My own school years were painful, thanks to systematic bullying and the principals from elementary to junior high school claiming "there's no bullying in our school" whenever I had the nerve to tell my parents.

Call me an idealist, but... I would like to be like the arts teacher in that article. I would like to make a difference.

JCM

Great article, which highlights one of the biggest changes in the role of a teacher in today's modern world.

Before teachers were just the guys who'd teach you, for example, grammar. Today, we are not only teachers, but also must serve as friends, counselors and psychologists.

I just wish some teachers here in Brazil, specially in public schools, read such an article.

Twitch

My first EDU class reminded me constantly: You are not their friend.

JCM

Thankfully I just teach English.

Chazwozel

Great article. This made me groan:

Several comments on the article reminded me strongly of the controversial comments made by talk show pundit Michael Savage, who said that autism is “…a brat who hasn't been told to cut the act out.”
I cannot believe some people. It would be hard for me not to punch anyone who said that around me.

That title alone, talk show pundit, should make you realize that he's a professional idiot.