Export thread

Computer Virus: A serious loathing

makare

My laptop is infected with the Antivirus Action virus. I am trying the Malwarebytes software now because it was recommended at a few forums. but If you guys know anything else that might work. let me know.

Dave

Dave

Malwarebytes is a great place to start.If not that then Avast.

PatrThom

PatrThom

MWB will probably handle it. If not, don't forget to boot to safe mode + networking before cleaning.

--Patrick

makare

It didn't work. I followed a really long set of directions. But I did manage to make it go dormant so I can access the internet. AND I will be able to run my exam program tomorrow morning. that is all that matters right now.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

You can also try things like CCleaner (or do msconfig.exe) to check what is launched upon startup - lots of those d@#$ things love to put themselves in startup.

In looking at Antivirus Action - Virus Solution and Removal for how to remove - it looks like they add in 1-3 items in the startup - (random characters).exe, (random characters)agnz.exe, and/or agnz.exe

Look for those files on your computer while in safe mode, delete them, then remove them from your startup (disable first) and then run malwarebytes again while in safe mode - once it's done running, reboot into normal mode and run both your MWB + AV again.

Reason why I recommended CCleaner is it also will clean out all temp folders where some older viruses like to store things as well.

makare

Hijackthis ended up working for me.. that and malwarebytes.

The virus is gone but there are a few residual effects that are pissing me off.