Export thread

Cravendale Milk Jug Detects Sour Milk

Hylian

Hylian

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2010/03/30/cravendale-milk-jug-detects-sour-milk/

By Andrew Liszewski

How many times have you accidentally left the milk out on the kitchen counter, and wondered if it was still safe to drink? Well Cravendale, a UK-based dairy, has developed a new milk jug that takes the guesswork out of whether or not its contents have soured. The technology used in the jug was discovered by the company’s R&D team while researching the bacteria that actually turns milk sour, and is essentially a unique PH sensor that’s built into its base. When sour milk is detected, a small LCD display on the outside of the jug changes from ‘Fresh’ to ‘Sour’ and if that doesn’t get the message across, it also incorporates an “innovative alarm system” so there’s no question you probably shouldn’t drink it.
There’s no word on whether or not Cravendale plans to actually put the jug into production, but it’s hoped that the technology could one day drastically reduce the amount of milk that is thrown away because people just aren’t sure if it’s safe to drink or not.
[ PR - Cravendale - Revealed: A Magic Milk Jug ] VIA [ TechChee ]

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I prefer the original invention: The Expiration Date.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Why would I need to put milk in a jug when the carton works just fine?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

There is no real need for that device. People will continue to use the time tested method of offering a glass of milk to the man of house and watching his reaction; if he flinches or pukes throw the milk away!

Denbrought

Denbrought

It'd be nice if instead of a jug it was some kind of probe you just poked into the milk container, kinda similar to a thermometer.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Yeah, not practical, but still nifty.

David

David

I'll buy 17 of them.

tegid

tegid

Shego said:
Milk can turn sour before that.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

poking stuff into milk is a good way to introduce bacteria to it.

David

David

And breaking the seal on the milk to pour it into a separate jug that everyone will probably half-ass wash (I rinsed it out, it's totally clean!) isn't?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

you don't steam sanitize your dishes?

hmm.

;)

Fun Size

Fun Size

Hey, this invention will be a great boon to those poor individuals who are born without a sense of smell.

Won't someone think of the nasally challenged?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Shego said:
Milk can turn sour before that.
Or be good long after.