[Comics] Death of the Family

Status
Not open for further replies.
Batman_joker_Promo_02.jpg
In his first appearance since Detective Comics (vol 2) #1 Joker returns with a vengeance. Story will run through 5 issues of Batman, starting with #13, with backup stories and an oversized issue 17. Similar to Night of the Owls there will be some spill over into other bat-related titles, including Suicide Squad.​

Dave

Staff member
See, as much as I would like to follow this, I fucking HATE "spillover" comics. I don't know why they started doing this (okay, they did it because $$$) but I refused to buy all the issues of 52 or Infinite Crisis, ad nauseum.

Just tell me the damned story and don't make it a necessity to buy other titles I'm not interested in to get the whole story.

I'm very interested in this and would probably like it, but come on!

Honestly like Night of the Owls you should only need to read Batman to get the whole thing (Snyder swears by this). The tie ins are just going to be bonuses. Frankly I'd rather tie-ins (especially when I'm already reading most the books anyway) that show events in the shared universe than to have "world shattering events" take place in a vacuum.

*glares at Ultimates*

Yes and no. He's been gone for nearly a year having had his face cut off by the Dollmaker. This will mark his first real new-52 story.

Before that he was largely underused in a lot of titles, mostly as support (Dini wrote some good stuff with him and Tim, and him and Zatanna and Batman, during his run on Detective. About 3 issues total). The last time I recall him being really relevant was Emperor Joker way back in 2000, which was a Superman story. It will be good to see him as a main antagonist again.

Dave

Staff member
So maybe this is a dumb question...But what is Joker's power? Is he just super smart? Everyone in comics is a super genius of one sort or another.

So maybe this is a dumb question...But what is Joker's power? Is he just super smart? Everyone in comics is a super genius of one sort or another.
Joker's power is that he's insane.

He doesn't have any powers, he's just the most fucked up the human psyche can get.

He acts as a good foil to Batman, because he is unpredictable. For Batman to profile him, he has to let himself slip into some pretty dark frames of reference.

He's about as smart as Batman, who can think three steps ahead of everybody else...except you add total insanity and disregard for human life.

Also, my beef with events is several things: one, a single creative team could tell the story much better. Having too many cooks in the kitchen means everyone has a different way to tell the story and it doesn't always work out well. It sometimes does (52, for example), but it's incredibly rare. Two, events are very rarely collected together properly. Civil War, for example, is a really good example of this. You can't just read the main "Civil War" trade on its own without needing to read other ancillary volumes as well. In the long-term, that's bad business.

Three, the most damning thing about crossovers, is the constant bullshit of "everything will change forever" or "nothing will ever be the same again" or "everything you know is a lie." Which is bull because in a year (or even sometimes in a few months), it'll be either completely undone or just forgotten when the next creative team comes along. Worse, especially in Civil War, characters are written out of character just to push the story further. Tony Stark and Reed Richards are prime examples of that, who were borderline evil in that arc.

Also, I never believe when a writer says that you don't have to read the other titles to understand the story. They said that about Blackest Night, and yet Hal Jordan disappears early in, then returns with six new characters. Where did they come from? Why, the Green Lantern title, of course! But for people who hear about Blackest Night and just pick up the trade, they're going to be confused as all hell.

Only because Batman refuses to kill him, which is joker's ultimate goal.
No Bat's has forced his death on a few occasions, then about 2 years later, readership drops... and the Joker "jumped out of the helicopter as it blew into a million pieces." Only to make a triumphal return.

Also, I never believe when a writer says that you don't have to read the other titles to understand the story. They said that about Blackest Night, and yet Hal Jordan disappears early in, then returns with six new characters. Where did they come from? Why, the Green Lantern title, of course! But for people who hear about Blackest Night and just pick up the trade, they're going to be confused as all hell.
I'd agree, if Scott Snyder hadn't already proven himself in this regard. Night of the Owls had a tie-ins from ten different titles but all you really needed to read was Batman. The tie-ins existed mainly to show you exactly how the bat-family took down the Talons, but only the fact that they did was important to Batman's story. Likewise, each tie-in included (somehow) the "Batman sent out a distress call about an army of assassins stalking Gotham, so I picked one of their targets to go rescue" explanation.

Reading the tie-ins made me want to read the main story, but it wasn't required. I imagine that the situation here will be similar.

I can forgive the tie-in with Suicide Squad. Harley Quinn is a major player in that series and she's recently had her "Doctor Quinn" personality put back in charge because of a bullet to the brain. If she's still like that come October, it'll be interesting to see how she reacts to the Joker. I always thought Harley was her most interesting after she finally left the Joker: Still totally in love with him, but not defined by him. It also gave her the opportunity to show off just how competent she could be when she actually tries to be.

And yeah... the Joker's main power is that he's just as smart and clever as Batman, only without his restraints and he can ruin your day without the millions of dollars of toys. He is insane and will do anything and everything to meet his objectives. More to the point, he knows exactly how to push someone's buttons to make them do what he wants. He's dangerous because he's a people person... one that can get you do what he wants, before he kills you for fun.

This is starting.

Batman #13 has Scott Snyder one upping himself. This is by far the best issue of the title so far, and that's not knocking what came before. Joker is creepy, cunning, and sadistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.