[Request] Disable post protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, Dave , is there any way to selectively disable post protection?
I assume the forum preserves my incomplete posts by writing them to disk somehow.
I assume this because while I type, I hear my hard drives furiously banging away until I stop, and then the text I typed all appears at once. The lag between typing and viewing is ... distracting, and I can't think that all the HDD activity is doing my array any good.

Failing d'ability to disable, is there a way to make it chunk the activity instead of having to update after every single character, which is what it seems to be doing right now?

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Weird. Is this happening to anyone else? Does this happen every time you try and post?

Browser, iOS, etc. will also help to figure this out. I know it's a quick line of code so it's easy to take out.

It's something that only happens when I'm on my wife's computer (like now), and only when composing posts on this forum. Using the same version of the same browser on my rig (with its single drive) doesn't display the issue. I have not upgraded my rig to an array yet, so not sure if that is what's going on. FWIW, the array behavior IS set to be 'optimized for performance' rather than 'optimized for quick removal.' Lemme go see if this happens in MSIE.

--Patrick

Here I am typing in old fashioned mode and I don't seem to be having this problem(1).
Here I am typing in legitimate MSIE and I only see slowdowns when I try to delete a lot of characters (holding down the backspace key)(2).
Here I am in Webkit, and I am only able to type in Shatneresque bursts and have to wait when typing (3).
Here now I am typing in Chrome, and I am having no issues at all. I can type and delete without issue (4).

Maxthon does not give me the ability to disable Javascript (or I can't find it in the prefs) to test.
I fully intend on moving the cache location to a RAM drive to see if this makes a difference, but wife is 'reminding' me that we have to go somewhere so that test will have to wait until later.
I can't test with Chromium/FireFox/Safari5/Opera as I don't have any of those installed on her machine.

I recently upgraded my home rig to Maxthon v4, but as I am not currently at home, I can't test right now whether that gives me the same issue. Sorry. :(

Side note: The issue DOES NOT occur in the edit window I get when I am editing a previously posted post, it only happens when I am composing a post at the bottom of the page, like normal.

--Patrick
(1) Maxthon v3, "Retro Mode" (MSIE rendering engine)
Code:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; Maxthon/3.0)
========
(2) MSIE v8 (surprisingly, it brought up the previous typing, which means the site remembers entered text on a per-browser basis)
Code:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
========
(3) Maxthon v3, "Lightning Mode" (Webkit 537.1 engine)
Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Maxthon/3.0 Chrome/22.0.1229.79 Safari/537.1
========
(4) Chrome v26 (Webkit 537.31)
Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.31 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/26.0.1410.64 Safari/537.31

I have it turned off. Does it help?
There I go, now I can type just fine. There is no problem at all and I am using a RAM drive to speed up access. Let me disable the RAM drive and try again.
The RAM drive is disabled and I am still able to type just fine. This means I have to think the post protection was what was responsible for what was happening.
So yes. It is a very handy feature, so I don't know how to reenable it without messing up the disk behavior. Could you turn it back on and I will see if relocating the cache to the RAM drive makes a difference?

--Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.