Do you hate mosquitos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You probably don't hate them as much as these guys. This company is developing an anti-mosquito laser array. Check it out:

An interesting aside; some of the people working on this used to work on the Star Wars project in the 80's.

Found via news.cnet.com

I can handle mosquitos. In North America, they aren't going to do anything to you other than bother you. Ticks, now that's a different story. I want a portable bio scanner that will tell me if a deer tick is on me or my dog.

That is cool though.

P

Philosopher B.

Fuck mosquitoes. Right in the fiddle-dee-dee. I swear whenever they're in the vicinity they go for my ass and nobody else.

- Philo-B., who heartily approves of anything that fucks their shit up.

Y

YAOMTC

EDIT: Great. The only clip I could find of that, and they got their cursor in the way. Well, I guess this is a good excuse to finally get the whole series...

I live in a northern swamp, when it isn't winter, it's mosquito. Those are our seasons, winter and mosquito.

I hate them. I hate them more than anything.

But do you need to, like, point and shoot? Cause missing a mosquito across a room and accidentally setting your curtain on fire doesn't sound just possible but quite likely.

From their site.
The system would create a virtual fence made out of light— we call it a “Photonic Fence.” Light Emitting Diode (LED) lamps on each fence post would beam infrared light at adjacent fence posts up to 100 feet (30 meters) away; the light would then hit strips of retroreflective material (similar to that used on highway signs) and bounce straight back toward the illuminator. A camera on each fence post monitors the reflected light for shadows cast by a hapless insect flying through the vertical plane of light.

When an invading insect is detected, our software identifies it by training a nonlethal laser beam on the bug and using that illumination to estimate the insect’s size and also to measure how fast its wings are beating. Using this method, the system can not only distinguish among mosquitoes, butterflies, and bumblebees, but it can even determine whether a mosquito is male or female! (Females are significantly larger than males and have slower wingbeats.) This is useful because only female mosquitoes bite humans.

Our software is able to track a mosquito in flight once it establishes that it is a valid target. After running safety checks to ensure no unintended object is in view, the system activates a second, more powerful laser that zaps the mosquito, causing death either by damage to its DNA (an unconfirmed hypothesis) or by overheating. The energy levels and light frequencies used are not capable of damaging human tissue, but even so, we’ve built in safeguards that ensure that the system doesn’t fire when anything much larger than a mosquito is in the photonic fence.

Status
Not open for further replies.