Export thread

Doctor Who: The Pandorica OPENS!

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

OhgodohgodOhgodohgodOhgodohgod
why no one told me it would be so sad?? *sob*

edit: Starting to watch "blink" now ;)

edit2: Ended watching the Doctor Daugher, rather avilicious episode... I feel odd about it, I would describe it, I would name several bad traits, at same, It was rather fan to watch.

I am curious to see what happens with "Jenny"

edit3:

Saw the following episodes until, Turn Left, I am going to see "Stolen Earth" tomorrow

quick reviews:

The Unicorn and The Wasp:
I was disapointed with the lack of unicorns, but it was a good and fun episode (and really a must considering the following), I think Agatha is the third writter to appear in the New Series, funny seeing the british being patriotic, but the episode was better than the Shakeaspere code in my opinion, much more funny and a affectionate parody of the "whodunit" genre. :)

But, of course, Bury Your Gays couldn't be averted

Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead:
This was one of the episodes that I was spoiled, at same time, I regret and don't regret it, the obvious reason for regret it is that it took a lot of the emotion and scare from the episode, the reason for not regret is... the same reason to regret it. I mean, I watched knowing more or less what was going to happen and still was scared as Hell, Is bad enough that it is a swarming flesh-eating creature that lives in the darkness, but they had add the "zombies" and data ghosts? plus the faces in the statues saying the scarests things in the most monotone voice? So, one word: Scary, and two words: super-scary

Midnight:
A bottle episode, and hell of a good one, due to lack of spoilers I was more scared about this one than "Silence in the library" even though is almost 30min of staying inside a air-plane like place being afraid of a woman sitting on the floor doing nothing but repeating words

Turn Left:
A What If universe where the Doctor died and the world is a terrible place (and terrible being actually a euphemism), I love alternate realities and is a great examination of the Doctor influence in the world.

Finally watched "The end of time"

What a ride, and what great way to close Tennant chapter. Still, I am worried about the new guy on board. Let's see how it ends.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Finally watched Doctor Who Doomsday

Ah, you're behind.

Yeah.. Seeing that whole dramatic ending is extremely sad.

I <3 "Wose".
Well... I guess you could say that 2-3 seasons late is "behind"

but better nate than lever.

It is also sad because no other supporting characters also "stayed", and the doctor is utterly alone :(

anyway, I just watched the Runaway Bride with Miss Anti-rose, it was fun. :)

Rubicon

Doomsday was indeed sad :( But you're in for a wild ride for the next two seasons, there are some really great episodes that show a more emotional side of The Doctor coming up you'll probably love.

I'm going to break down and cry when David leaves. He will always be THE Doctor in my mind, even if the next guy is great, I doubt he will top David.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Ahem, Tom Baker is THE Doctor, but David Tennant is in second place.

I loved Donna so much as a companion. It got rid of that stupid "I'm in love with the Doctor" bullcrap the last two companions had.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Doomsday was indeed sad :( But you're in for a wild ride for the next two seasons, there are some really great episodes that show a more emotional side of The Doctor coming up you'll probably love.

I'm going to break down and cry when David leaves. He will always be THE Doctor in my mind, even if the next guy is great, I doubt he will top David.
I confess, that I still have problems in thinking that David is the "same" guy that played the 9th doctor, I mean, I know in my head, but is like, I feel like they are two different characters, but great characters though.

Also, at least Rose got to stay with her family. And while I though that was a bit force, It is good to see Jackie and Pete reunited.

plus, I was LMAO when jackie kept asking "how much money?" while also saying it din't matter xD

Ahem, Tom Baker is THE Doctor, but David Tennant is in second place.

I loved Donna so much as a companion. It got rid of that stupid "I'm in love with the Doctor" bullcrap the last two companions had.
Yeah, why any woman would fall in love with a guy that takes her travelling all across existence? I mean, what it is so romantic about traveling all around history and space to see the unknown? Specially when the guy cares so much about you and protect you from harm and is sweet, brave and compassionate even when face of great peril.

[/sarcasm mode]

I am going to watch Smith and Jones now. ;)

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I thought Donna was the best companion of the new series. I absolutely hate how they ended her run though (Don't worry GL, I'm not gonna spoil it for ya).

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

I thought Donna was the best companion of the new series. I absolutely hate how they ended her run though (Don't worry GL, I'm not gonna spoil it for ya).
I actually know what happened (thank you TVTropes), sounds even more tragic than what they did with Rose

EDIT: Do I need to watch Sarah Jane Adventures and Torchwood?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I actually know what happened (thank you TVTropes), sounds even more tragic than what they did with Rose

EDIT: Do I need to watch Sarah Jane Adventures and Torchwood?[/QUOTE]

There's stuff in season 3 that will make more sense with Torchwood, same for season 4 and SJA, but it's not required. You could read over episode guides to get the same info.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I actually liked the Sarah Jane Adventures. It's obviously geared towards a younger audience, though.

So basically, it's
Torchwood: Dr Who After Dark
Dr Who: Fun for the whole family
SJA: Dr Who ala Nickelodeon

To clarify, my problem with the Dr Who love angles is more the Doctor's reaction than the girls falling in love with him. He fostered it, whereas in previous incarnations, he shut those budding feelings down because he realized that as a time lord, it will never work. I liked the sort of alien detachment that he had to his companions.

With the exception of Romana, of course, given that she was a time lord.

I'm still waiting for some mention of that character in the new series.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

I actually liked the Sarah Jane Adventures. It's obviously geared towards a younger audience, though.

So basically, it's

To clarify, my problem with the Dr Who love angles is more the Doctor's reaction than the girls falling in love with him. He fostered it, whereas in previous incarnations, he shut those budding feelings down because he realized that as a time lord, it will never work. I liked the sort of alien detachment that he had to his companions.

Well, the Time Lords are gone, this kind of thing is the only "romantic option" that he has now. =P

Also, question, did they explained or will explain that the Time Lords are something like "super-evolved humans"? The Doctor love for our race and the uncanny resemblence sort of annoy me, and I can't see other explanation. :p

Bowielee

Bowielee

So basically, it's

Well, the Time Lords are gone, this kind of thing is the only "romantic option" that he has now. =P

Also, question, did they explained or will explain that the Time Lords are something like "super-evolved humans"? The Doctor love for our race and the uncanny resemblence sort of annoy me, and I can't see other explanation. :p[/QUOTE]

The Doctor is half human. See the Dr Who Movie for that little cannonicity clusterfuck.

The rest of the time lords are a completely different race.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

The Doctor is half human. See the Dr Who Movie for that little cannonicity clusterfuck.

Thank you.... but no. Half human? That is lame, but what about the other time lords?

Bowielee

Bowielee

Thank you.... but no. Half human? That is lame, but what about the other time lords?[/QUOTE]

There are TONS of races in the "whoniverse" who look exactly like humans but are completely different species.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Thank you.... but no. Half human? That is lame, but what about the other time lords?[/QUOTE]

There are TONS of races in the "whoniverse" who look exactly like humans but are completely different species.[/QUOTE]

That only make it worse.

At least farscape gave a excuse u.u

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

The revived series carefully ignores the 'half human' thing. 'we ...don't talk about it' kind of thing.

aside from when they sneak in a 'they're half human!' 'THOSE.WORDS.ARE.BLASPHEMY! DO.NOT.BLASPHEME!' in the season 1 finale.

and
when 10.5 says 'nope. never been a half human timelord hybrid before. never. not all all. nuh uh'

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

10 miles in six years!

ROFLMAO

that is what I love about this show, the writters are insane xD

Veteran

Yeah, we don't mention the half-human thing. Never.

If there's anyone who might get rid of it in-canon, it'll be The Moff. I've had faith in him ever since a character in Coupling wore a 'Bring Back Dr. Who' t-shirt!

Bowielee

Bowielee

GL, you MUST be new to Dr Who if you expect anything to be backed up by logic or science.

With Dr Who, you just accept that things are the way they are. If you think it's impossible, it just means it's so complex that only a timelord and understand it.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

GL, you MUST be new to Dr Who if you expect anything to be backed up by logic or science.

With Dr Who, you just accept that things are the way they are. If you think it's impossible, it just means it's so complex that only a timelord and understand it.
I am not complaining, in fact, I am praising the impossibleness of the situations.

The Human-looking-thing is just a problem that I have with Sci-fi shows in general.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

DON'T BLINK! While wacthing Doctor Who.

Just ended wacthing blink, it was a really great episode, my only "But" was that I already readed the sinopse so I wasn't surprise, but still was enjoyable.

Don't blink!

The preview for the next episode shows Jack Harkness goodness, I am suppose to know something about Torchwood before watching the next episode?

Bowielee

Bowielee

Nothing that happens in Torchwood directly effects what's going on in Dr Who with maybe the exception of last year's season finale, and even then it's only knowing who the characters from Torchwood are.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Nothing that happens in Torchwood directly effects what's going on in Dr Who with maybe the exception of last year's season finale, and even then it's only knowing who the characters from Torchwood are.
Okay, thanks, also, Torchwood itself, and Sarah Jane Adventures are worth watching?

Bowielee

Bowielee

Torchwood is pretty derisive in the Dr Who fanbase. I personally loved it, but many many people hate it with a passion.

Sarah Jane Adventures is totally geared towards a pre-teen audience, but I also liked that show.

If you do watch Torchwood, Children of Earth was one of the best things I've seen in a long time, but you really need to watch the series before watching that.

To Ame, He wasn't bisexual, he was omnisexual ;)

I liked his explanation that in the time he comes from with all the alien contact they've had, the notion of gender attraction being a non-issue was great.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Except for Owen, I fucking HATED Owen.

I was GLAD when he died, but I cried when Tosh died.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Stop reading those things, it's more fun if you have no clue what's going to happen!

An Torchwood is not really required to watch Who, there's only like 2 whole references made in Torchwood to Doctor Who, limited to like a line or 2. That's it, really. It's good to watch it regardless though, it's a lot of fun (season 2 being infinitely better than season 1 though).

It has some good characters and I'm sure you'll love the fact that it goes on a lot about sex, sexuality and Cap'n Jack's bisexual nature and relationships. ^.^ He's hot stuff!
blame tvtropes, I readed the sinopses of those episodes only for curiosity and loooooooong before even considering watching Dr.Who.

=(

Dusty668

I just got season One and Two, watching them now. I forgot what a mad crush I had on Billie Piper and her tongue poking out all the time.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't find Billie Piper attractive. I loved the character of Rose, but I never found her attractive.

Now, Martha Jones... that's a different story. Mmmm...

Calleja

Calleja

You know Billie Piper is wild in bed just by looking at her. I love her.

Philosopher B.

I think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't find Billie Piper attractive.
Make that one of the two only people.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

Owen was a creepy weirdo, but he had a real awesome moment *after* he died.
. "Owen Harper's soul has left the building! There's nobody here but us dead men." he then goes on to beat the crap out of THE INCARNATION OF DEATH ITSELF

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't find Billie Piper attractive.
Make that one of the two only people.[/QUOTE]

I think you mean one of three.

Also, Martha Jones was hot. The last one - can't remember her name, the one whose first appearance was as a bridezilla in a Christmas special - not so much.

Dusty668

Martha Jones needed a rainstorm cause she was on fire! But that takes not away from my Piper crush.

Just finished season one. New teeth...

*sigh*

WolfOfOdin

Dr. Who is cliched and boring, true story.

....Sorry, I just can't get into the series, really. It seems like a melodramatic soap opera instead of a sci-fi series.

/goes to re-watch Carnivale and grumble at HBO

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Dr. Who is cliched and boring, true story.

....Sorry, I just can't get into the series, really. It seems like a melodramatic soap opera instead of a sci-fi series.

/goes to re-watch Carnivale and grumble at HBO
Burn the Witch!

I am watching Voyage of the Dammed now.

Rubicon

I think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't find Billie Piper attractive. I loved the character of Rose, but I never found her attractive.

Same, I never found Billie attractive. Now Donna? Red hair? Yes. Little meat on the bones? Yes. In a geeky tv show? Yes!

Rubicon

Same, I never found Billie attractive. Now Donna? Red hair? Yes. Little meat on the bones? Yes. In a geeky tv show? Yes![/QUOTE]

MILF?[/QUOTE]

no i just have a thing for redheads, and bbw's.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Just watched Voyage of the Dammed.

WHY? WHY HAVE TO CRY FOR CHARACTERS THAT I HAVE KNOW FOR LESS THAN A HOUR? WHY? AND HOW THEY DO THAT? :(

at least was tears of joy for Mister Copper. :)

Same, I never found Billie attractive. Now Donna? Red hair? Yes. Little meat on the bones? Yes. In a geeky tv show? Yes![/QUOTE]

MILF?[/QUOTE]

no i just have a thing for redheads, and bbw's.[/QUOTE]

I was actually curious about this, one thing I notice about Dr.Who is the less "Hollywood Homely" people and I couldn't tell how pretty Donna and Rose are.

Also, We need a tag "Tell the Doctor I would Who Him" or "Tell the Doctor I would Master him".

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Just watched Voyage of the Dammed.

WHY? WHY HAVE TO CRY FOR CHARACTERS THAT I HAVE KNOW FOR LESS THAN A HOUR? WHY? AND HOW THEY DO THAT? :(

at least was tears of joy for Mister Copper. :)
Besides the writing, the music generally helps to get the proper mood across. The music is just brilliant in this series.[/QUOTE]

but I was down even by the other minor characters that died

The fat couple with the ridiculous cowboy out-fit, specially because he just had told her she loved her no matter what, and later she kills herself almost for nothing :(

and then Bannakaffalatta sacrifices himself, din't helped that he "is" a alien version of the LGBT group

Rubicon

Also, We need a tag "Tell the Doctor I would Who Him" or "Tell the Doctor I would Master him".
On this, we have a consensus.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

On this, we have a consensus.[/QUOTE]

It was tagett but it is using "her" rather than "him"

Watching parnes in Crime, I don't know If I update the topic title I like how it is.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

Most of the time I love the music in the show. its just the moments when murray gold gets a bit carried away. 'right. very sad moment. BRING IN THE SAD MUSIC! I WANT TO HEAR SAD VIOLINS GODDAMNIT! CHEESE FACTOR 11!'

subtle mister gold, very subtle.:rolleyes: though admittedly, he has been better on this in the recent season. and when he's good,he's FANTASTIC.

listen to 'all the strange strange creatures' and tell me thats not made of awesome.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Most of the time I love the music in the show. its just the moments when murray gold gets a bit carried away. 'right. very sad moment. BRING IN THE SAD MUSIC! I WANT TO HEAR SAD VIOLINS GODDAMNIT! CHEESE FACTOR 11!'

subtle mister gold, very subtle.:rolleyes: though admittedly, he has been better on this in the recent season. and when he's good,he's FANTASTIC.

listen to 'all the strange strange creatures' and tell me thats not made of awesome.
I was rewatching "The last of time lords", now that you said I think that the "countdown" scene only worked because of the music.

Is odd, how a scene so cheesy and silly can be so epic? :confused:

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

and since we're talking awesome music in who...don't forget this

HERE!

COME!

THE DRUMS!

KarateKidMcFly

and since we're talking awesome music in who...don't forget this

HERE!

COME!

THE DRUMS!
I'm working on watching the whole show a second time before the next special, and I totally danced when that happened. The Master is so great, I have a man-crush on him :heart:

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

DON'T BLINK! While wacthing The Doctor Daughter!

Watched Doctor Daugher

my thoughs

Is a rather anvilicious episode... I feel odd about it, I would describe it, I would name several bad traits, at same, It was rather fan to watch.

I am curious to see what happens with "Jenny" next

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Watched Doctor Daugher

my thoughs

Is a rather anvilicious episode... I feel odd about it, I would describe it, I would name several bad traits, at same, It was rather fan to watch.

Fun facts:
Georgia Moffett (Jenny) is the real life daughter of Peter Davidson (the 5th Doctor).
I may be remembering this wrong, but I think Moffatt (the writer)
pleaded with crew for her to remain alive at the end of the episode so she could return for future episodes, and wants to do a spin-off
(which is unlikely to happen, really).[/QUOTE]
Oh yeah, the way she left totally sets up for a spinoff if they decided to go in that direction, or for her to make a return in the Who series later even.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Jenny could be a really interesting character. A timelord without any of the discipline from Gallifrey. She would never have looked into the time vortex, so it would be interesting to find out how much of the timelord knowledge is learned and how much is innate. Also, would she even have regenerations?

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Watched Doctor Daugher

my thoughs

Fun facts:
Georgia Moffett (Jenny) is the real life daughter of Peter Davidson (the 5th Doctor).
pleaded with crew for her to remain alive at the end of the episode so she could return for future episodes, and wants to do a spin-off
(which is unlikely to happen, really).[/QUOTE]
Oh yeah, the way she left totally sets up for a spinoff if they decided to go in that direction, or for her to make a return in the Who series later even.
[/QUOTE]

I think the term is "poorly disguised pilot"

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Watched Doctor Daugher

my thoughs

Fun facts:
(which is unlikely to happen, really).[/quote]
[/quote]

I think the term is "poorly disguised pilot"[/quote]

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Doctor WHo: DON'T BLINK! Turn lef while the wasp is in the library

Saw the following episodes until, Turn Left, I am going to see "Stolen Earth" tomorrow

quick reviews:

The Unicorn and The Wasp:
I was disapointed with the lack of unicorns, but it was a good and fun episode (and really a must considering the following), I think Agatha is the third writter to appear in the New Series, funny seeing the british being patriotic, but the episode was better than the Shakeaspere code in my opinion, much more funny and a affectionate parody of the "whodunit" genre. :)

But, of course, Bury Your Gays couldn't be averted

Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead:
This was one of the episodes that I was spoiled, at same time, I regret and don't regret it, the obvious reason for regret it is that it took a lot of the emotion and scare from the episode, the reason for not regret is... the same reason to regret it. I mean, I watched knowing more or less what was going to happen and still was scared as Hell, Is bad enough that it is a swarming flesh-eating creature that lives in the darkness, but they had add the "zombies" and data ghosts? plus the faces in the statues saying the scarests things in the most monotone voice? So, one word: Scary, and two words: super-scary

Midnight:
A bottle episode, and hell of a good one, due to lack of spoilers I was more scared about this one than "Silence in the library" even though is almost 30min of staying inside a air-plane like place being afraid of a woman sitting on the floor doing nothing but repeating words

Turn Left:
A What If universe where the Doctor died and the world is a terrible place (and terrible being actually a euphemism), I love alternate realities and is a great examination of the Doctor influence in the world.

What do I need to know to watch Stolen Earth? Just a qucik briefing >.<

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Doctor WHo: DON'T BLINK! Turn left while the wasp is in the library

The library episode and midnight were both great.

The 2 next episodes, Stolen Earth & Journey's End are the grand finale. Torchwood will take part in it but really no knowledge is required beforehand. Just watch 'm and be amazed, you'll get what you've been hoping for, and what you didn't want to happen at all.

Do NOT read ahead about these next coming episodes. I even always turn off the episode before it shows the "next week! On an all new Doctor Who!" bit.

After that it'll just be a few specials until series 5.
I really would like to reinforce that I only have read spoilers when I thought that wouldn't watch Dr.Who anyway.

Dusty668

Just watched Love and Monsters.

I still don't like it. I came off of such a rush watching the ending of the impossible planet, and woompf. plotz.

The 'monster' kept making me think Fiona, Donkey, and Puss would step out of the TARDIS and they all start singing "It's not easy being Green" Also that last "favor" AIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEE!!! the doctor became a bigger monster than that green guy ever could be.

Being a living thinking creature trapped unchanging forever in a block of pavement? That is my idea of a living hell.

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

Nonspoiler review, I don't like it. Nossir.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Vyxen, what is your opinion about Midnight?

Also, Wacthed Stolen Earth/Journey End, All I can say is CRAZY EPIC AWESOME (I mean, without spoilers of course).
It wasn't emotionally destructive as the seasons finales 2 and 3, but it was overall great seeing the "Children of Time" united. Doctor-2 staying with Donna was a bit... cheesy, but not bad (looked like the only single destiny for him), feel sorry for Donna of course, not as much as what happened to Rose in season 2.

Watching Sarah Jane Smith, seems okay right now, next going to watch the first episode of Torchwood

Bowielee

Bowielee

I personally loved Midnight. It was extremely tense and I loved the human nature not always being sunshine and lollipops, but there are still good people out there. It was great how they had most of the people who you would think would side with the Doctor turning against them and the person you thought would write him off completely, as a matter of fact, the first person who suggested killing him being the one who did the right thing.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I have such a crush on Rhys....

Bowielee

Bowielee

I just think he's hot ;)

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Doctor Who: DON'T BLINK! Turn left while the wasp is in the library

I personally loved Midnight.
It was extremely tense and I loved the human nature not always being sunshine and lollipops, but there are still good people out there. It was great how they had most of the people who you would think would side with the Doctor turning against them and the person you thought would write him off completely, as a matter of fact, the first person who suggested killing him being the one who did the right thing.
Vyxen, what is your opinion about Midnight?
I thought that was a very well done episode, actually. The very limited and closed set of the shuttle and the removal of Donna for most of the episode made the entire story focus on The Doctor and I loved it.
The whole 'dubbing' (?) effect was done well, and kinda creepy too.

It was hard at one point not to scream: "THERE'S SOMETHING ON THE WING!!"
[/QUOTE]

at the end of midnight my only question was "HOW DID THEY MANAGED TO MAKE REPEATING WORDS SOMETHING SO SCARY??" It is likely the best "Bottle episode" that I ever saw

It is the only monster so far that the true nature is never actually revealed, it is just something misterious, evil and in a dead world.

Also, there is unanswered question? What exactly the creature did to the passengers? Does the paranoia is something human or something that the alien did? I bet that even the passengers themselves would be haunted themselves about it forever.

next going to watch the first episode of Torchwood
Torchwood starts off with kinda cheesy stories (getting ten times better s it goes on), but the characters are really good. Gwen Cooper is very much like Rose and cute. Jack, is just awesome. The rest.. well.. you'll see. ^.^[/QUOTE]

Okay... How long do I will have to wait for "naked hide and seek"? :D

Dusty668

Just got Season 3 on DVD, watched Runaway Bride, is it wrong that I thought the Arachnos Queen was Hot?

Great sense of humor. Such pretty eyes and smile...

I always go for the wrong girls I guess.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Doctor WHo: The end of Tennant (Finally watched)

What a ride, and what great way to close Tennant chapter. Still, I am worried about the new guy on board. Let's see how it ends.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I've watched the first 2 episodes and I have to say, so far, I like the new guy. He's very much like Peter Davidson following Tom Baker.

figmentPez

figmentPez

IO9.com interviews Karen Gillan (but Matt Smith and Steven Moffat come first in the video)

Her favorite Doctor Who episode is "Blink". The lady has good taste.

Calleja

Calleja

*swoons*

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Heh, that's kind of a no brainer. Almost EVERYONE'S favourite episode is Blink. *grin*

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Heh, that's kind of a no brainer. Almost EVERYONE'S favourite episode is Blink. *grin*
I commited the mistake of reading the sinopsis before watching it (way before thinking in actually watching Dr.Who), so I ended enjoying Midnight and The Girl in the Fireplace more. =/

Calleja

Calleja

DOCTOR who!!!

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Just let it out, boy. You'll feel better.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

DOCTOR who!!!
Just let it out, boy. You'll feel better.
Is this because I am using "Dr. Who"?

Calleja

Calleja

YES!

It's not a title you can abbreviate, dude, it's his NAME, you don't abbreviate names!!

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Whatever you say The Mx.

Calleja

Calleja

lmao.. that's... that's the correct 2 letter abbreviation of "Mexico", tee hee

Bowielee

Bowielee

Actually, people abbreviate names all the time. This is Calleja's pet peeve.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

I am not sure about other latin-american countries, but Brazil has a habbit of nicknaming, I don't think I remember anytime recently where our president was actually called by name. =P

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

to sum up this episode?

the doctor is awesome, SPITFIRES IN SPACE, and stephen moffat undoes the villain decay wrought by RTD.

jammy dodgers!

WOULD-YOU-CARE-FOR-SOME-TEA?

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

stephen moffat undoes the villain decay wrought by RTD.
I wouldn't quite go that far, but it was a definitive improvement.

Next week...the return of River Song and the Weeping Angels!!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

If I wasn't tired, cranky and distracted by internet things, I likely would've enjoyed this episode more. I think I'm just tired of Dalek's. Everything I loved about them from Season 1 has disappated into apathy due to their overuse. On the bright side, this was a Dalek episode that WASN'T a two-parter and WASN'T a season finale, so it's a big step up in my opinion.

The dude playing Churchill was awesome and I loved his relationship with The Doctor. I don't know much about history or Churchill, so I don't know how well or accurately he was portrayed in the writing or acting. I know he was damn entertaining, though.

Seeing Smith through the eyes of the Daleks, it made me realize something: he looks an awful lot like Peter Davidson in his prime. That's not a bad comparison to make at all, I think. *grin!*

Rubicon

That, was a good episode. Thats how they should do Dalek episodes I think. They set them up to be a big bad at some point, without some over bloated two parter or season finale.

And next week's episode?
River Song AND Weeping Angels?!?! awesome

Bowielee

Bowielee

So the episode was good and all, and I'm really liking the new Doctor more than I thought I would.

However...
Dalek Power Rangers, anyone?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

BBC America finally got The Eleventh Hour last night. I like.

Amy Pond in a French maid outfit? Yes please. :D

figmentPez

figmentPez

My thoughts on the new Daleks:

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

My thoughts on the new Daleks:

Shouldn't that be at least a Mini instead of a 3rd-gen?

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Just watched the first Eleventh Doctor episode online.

I think I came a little from the sheer awesomeness. Also, I'm now more willing to give Matt Smith a chance to show he can be as quirky and fun as David Tennant was.

Still hatin' the TV bigwigs in my country, though... they wouldn't know good sci-fi if it came and bit 'em in the ass.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Wasn't really impressed with the latest episode.
Kind of slow pacing, and the new Dalek voice is horribly grating on my nerves.
Hopefully next week's will make up for it.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

So, Finally watched Victory of the Daleks (and the other episodes of the new season), my thoughs:

The Eleventh Hour
Good start for Smith. I had this feeling over the episode that was something like watching a remake of the show, rather than the continuation, but I felt similar when 9th was replaced by 10th. Great episode.

The Beast Bellow
BEST. SATIRE. OF DEMOCRACY. EVER! Loved it. Very "Doctor Who", my only complaint was the size of the ship, that was just too small to be a "country", either way, good episode.

Victory of the daleks
Meh. I think they could have save Daleks a bit, and considering they ability to survive so much "failing through time" is hard to not see why they think themselves so superior. To bad that they aren't Nazy-Daleks.

I din't liked "the power of love" resolution too.

Well, next week is a new episode, and a new adveture, with the return of both River Song and the Weeping Angels.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Good start for Smith. I had this feeling over the episode that was something like watching a remake of the show, rather than the continuation, but I felt similar when 9th was replaced by 10th. Great episode.
There's nothing spoilerish in this so I'm not bothering with the tag.

Anywho, what I posted to say is that you get used to it after a few Doctors. For you, this is the 3rd doctor. For me, it's the 8th.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, this is like my 15th or 20th.

What?

ROWAN ATKINSON AND HUGH GRANT COUNT, DAMNIT!!

In all seriousness, this is my 3rd (Eccelston, Tennant, Smith).

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

smith is fourth for me. sort of.
for me its weird. i didn't really *have* a doctor, what with the show being dead through the 90s. i have vague memories of being absolutely shit scared of the opening intro though, with the shifting hallucination-o-vision and the awesome yet nightmare fuel theme music. i still had enough knowledge of the show to go 'oh sweet! a doctor who movies on!' so i guess my first doctor was uh... eight. all the novelisations aside. and say what you like about the movie, with its rather...questionable plot choices, but mcgann was pretty damn good. and steampunk tardis was awesome, terrible writing and eric roberts aside.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

What?

Hugh Grant?

Bowielee

Bowielee

What?

Hugh Grant?[/QUOTE]

It was a skit for Comic Relief which had Rowin Atkinson, Hugh Grant, and even Joanna Lumley playing the doctor regenerating one right after another.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Ame posted a YouTube link of it a couple pages back.

Just more proof that she's much cooler than me. :( :) :( :)

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Veteran

Heh, the Doctor Who forums are in uproar over the pop-up advert for Over The Rainbow that appeared right at the cliffhanger. I've emailed a complaint about it mostly just to make up the numbers. I want to see if this gets picked up by the papers!

Oh, great episode btw!

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

oh yeah. that ad really annoyed me. right at the cliffhanger moment and everything. and they advertised it RIGHT AFTER THE SHOW as well.

great episode, hopefully the second part will be even better.

oh, and?

every image of an angel becomes an angel, right?

this includes monitors. have fun. AND DON'T TURN YOUR MONITOR OFF.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

DAMN good episode. Though, I don't know if I got a different version or something because I didn't get the Over the Rainbow advert. Just the one during the end credits. Guess I'll count myself lucky because...

THAT was a damn good episode. I swear, this whole season has been on fire from the start. Not a single "miss" episode, in my opinion. And Smith is selling on me more and more, to be honest.

Now, here's a question about River Song:

She talked about lying a couple of times while talking with Amy. I wonder...what if everything she's hinting at about the Doctor is a lie, somehow? We've now found out she's a criminal of some sort. Who's to say that the book she carries around with her...isn't even hers? Maybe it DOES have a lot of information about the Doctor, but maybe none of it was written by her and that she "legally obtained" it.

On the other hand, another thought occured to me: Donna is half-Doctor. What if River is a regenerated Donna? Certainly explains her snippy attitude and such. I doubt it, since this is meant to be a whole new series, but who knows?

TwoBit

Maybe the real River Song is long dead and was replaced by a shape shifter of some sort. Or not.

Anyway, I dug this episode more the last weeks return of Daleks for the millionth goddamed time.

Veteran

Can't rule out someone assuming her identity, but I don't think she'll turn out to be a baddie since we've already seen her heroic death.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Just the opening of this episode was awesome, but as a whole it was amazing. There are a lot of echoes (almost literally) of past episodes, not just "Blink" but "Forest of the Dead" as well. Wonderful writing.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

This episode totally makes up for the lackluster Dalek episode. Hopefully we get a little more info on River Song next week too, my roommates and I have been trying to figure her out since last season.

Iaculus

oh yeah. that ad really annoyed me. right at the cliffhanger moment and everything. and they advertised it RIGHT AFTER THE SHOW as well.

great episode, hopefully the second part will be even better.

oh, and?

every image of an angel becomes an angel, right?

this includes monitors. have fun. AND DON'T TURN YOUR MONITOR OFF.

Hey, guys, you should come and see this. Just... come and see it.

Calleja

Calleja

I LOVE it when the Doctor let's his bad-assness out in such an epic form.

"Oh, big mistake. Really huge. Didn't anybody tell you? There's one thing you never put in a trap, if you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap."

"And what would that be, sir?"

"Me." *BANG*

Veteran

Doctor WHo: The Eleventh Victory of the Angel Bellow

Sorry to post another of these, but this is just too damn good!

Calleja

Calleja

Nooooooooo!! That last image felt like a dart to the heart TO THE HEART I TELL YOU!

*weeps*

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Sorry to post another of these, but this is just too damn good!

ahahahaha, amazing.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

FANTASTIC! Episode as usual, can't wait for the next part.

The only problem would be that I thoughed that added too many new powers to them, specially because many should had be mentioned in Blink (mostly, the eye thing), still I going to give a pass.

Also, it was only me who got a "zombie" vibe? You know, slow swarming movers.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I prefer fast moving angels.

Er, wait...

Rubicon

I LOVE it when the Doctor let's his bad-assness out in such an epic form.

"Oh, big mistake. Really huge. Didn't anybody tell you? There's one thing you never put in a trap, if you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap."

"And what would that be, sir?"

"Me." *BANG*
This this this this, and epic fucking THIS.

I may not like Smith's goofy Doctor routine but damn, he can play bad-ass Doctor just as well as Tennant.

Beautiful episode, truly great episode. I stand by the fact just about anything Moffat writes is pure win. River Song, Angels, religious commandos?!, cool tunnel of omgwtfdeath, yea this was the best episode of the season so far, AND its a two parter!

So far anything with River Song is epic. I like how we get teases of her backstory
she's a criminal?
so who knows where it all leads. Sad part is, since The Doctor met her for the first time when he was "young" (at 906 years old...) it's probably a long, long time until she's his companion.

Can't wait for next weeks episode!

---------- Post added at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 AM ----------

And that image of David is just cruel :( i still cant watch that episode without tearing up somethin fierce

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Honestly, I like Smith more and more. You say he has a goofy routine, but come on. Tennant didn't? I love Tennant just as much, but you have to admit, he was almost cartoonish at times, both with his wackiness AND his anger. In his last episode when he shouted "SO! MUCH! MORE!" I almost laughed and shouted, "He's ACTING!"

Smith, on the other hand, feels a little more reigned in, and I meant that in a good way. As I said before, I think he has the potential to surpass Tennant.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Mav, please stop emo-ing about David, we all know about his greatness, but nothing goood can last forever.

Also, for a moment I read you sig as "Red Shirt AMY", considering this week episode, wasn't a pleasant thought.

Matt²

Donna's fully human, so there's no way she can regenerate and be a Time Lord.

What about.. JENNY ???

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Donna's fully human, so there's no way she can regenerate and be a Time Lord.

What about.. JENNY ???
Donna still is a half-time lord, she just can't remember it.

I would like to see Susan =P

Bowielee

Bowielee

Donna's MIND is half time lord. She's still physically a human. If she were physically half time lord, she wouldn't have to have had the memories blocked in the first place. The entire reason that he had to contain that part of her brain is because a human mind wasn't designed to hold a time lord consciousness.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Donna's MIND is half time lord. She's still physically a human. If she were physically half time lord, she wouldn't have to have had the memories blocked in the first place. The entire reason that he had to contain that part of her brain is because a human mind wasn't designed to hold a time lord consciousness.
I assumed that was a bit of both, while she had a physical brain structure of "half of timelord", she also had a bit of a time lord consciouness, both had to deal with her human side, making it incompatible.

Calleja

Calleja

No, it was only her mind that got Time Lorded

Iaculus

Re: the latest episode...

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

But why wasn't she turned in a Master-copy?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

But why wasn't she turned in a Master-copy?[/QUOTE]

Because of the meta-crisis. She's half Time Lord now, and not fully human. Her DNA didn't match the patterns to be overwritten.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

But why wasn't she turned in a Master-copy?[/QUOTE]

Because of the meta-crisis. She's half Time Lord now, and not fully human. Her DNA didn't match the patterns to be overwritten.
[/QUOTE]

I was asking to Mister-formely-know-as-calleja, because he said only her mind got time lorded, if so, why din't her body changed?

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

awesome episode again :D i normally need to watch them a couple of times to really appreciate them. the highlights of the ep?

"Doctor Song, I've lost three clerics today, you trust this man?"
"I absolutely trust him."
"He's not some kind of mad man?"
"... ... I absolutely trust him."

"It's nice in here - consoles, comfy chairs, a forest. How's things with you?"

'ten.'

there was too much nightmare fuel to count in that damn episode. so good.

and i'm starting to buy the fan theory that moffat is carefully deconstructing the things that annoyed people about RTDs era. like the doctors reaction to amy at the end. and how he isn't quite so insanely happy with humans as ten was. ( not to say that i didn't like ten, he was awesome. its just that 'HUUUMANS! YOU GUYS ARE AAWESOME' got a wee bit irritating at times.)

'nine'

so its looking like river is responsible for killing the doctor. my guess is that he's going to meet her for the last time, when its her first. she then spends her entire life meeting up with the man she killed on first meeting.

Iaculus

Another thing on today's episode:

So the series villains are murderous, out-of-control retcons?

... My word.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

'eight'

Opinions over this episode:

Interesting, and good, scary but I think I am immune to the nightmare fuel effect of the angels, they are scary, but I am not that affected for them.
I actually disliked when the angels moved, it took much of they "mistic".
So, we are left with the mistery of Amy. The universe needs to retcon her out of existence?

awesome episode again :D i normally need to watch them a couple of times to really appreciate them. the highlights of the ep?

"Doctor Song, I've lost three clerics today, you trust this man?"
"I absolutely trust him."
"He's not some kind of mad man?"
"... ... I absolutely trust him."

"It's nice in here - consoles, comfy chairs, a forest. How's things with you?"

'ten.'

there was too much nightmare fuel to count in that damn episode. so good.

and i'm starting to buy the fan theory that moffat is carefully deconstructing the things that annoyed people about RTDs era. like the doctors reaction to amy at the end. and how he isn't quite so insanely happy with humans as ten was. ( not to say that i didn't like ten, he was awesome. its just that 'HUUUMANS! YOU GUYS ARE AAWESOME' got a wee bit irritating at times.)

'nine'

so its looking like river is responsible for killing the doctor. my guess is that he's going to meet her for the last time, when its her first. she then spends her entire life meeting up with the man she killed on first meeting.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

... My word.

Oh, shit. It's Joe Quesada and Dan Didio! Everybody run!!

Yeah, damn good episode. Loved how we had no idea how he was going to beat them. Also, there's a particular tune that I'm LOVING in this season that's been used a few times. We heard it when they were going through all the different Doctors in the first episode, at the end of last episode, and during the Doctor's defeat of the angels in this episode. Can't really describe it aside from operatically awesome.

And yeah, I'd say that River Song likely killed the Doctor in the future (her past; cripes, time travel gives me a headache). I like Moffat's hinting toward the finale more than RTD's, though. Instead of one word or something in the episode, like Torchwood or Bad Wolf, it's a part of the plot like it should be.

But you know what sucks, now? We don't get another Moffat episode UNTIL the finale, now. :(

Iaculus

... My word.

Oh, shit. It's Joe Quesada and Dan Didio! Everybody run!!

Yeah, damn good episode. Loved how we had no idea how he was going to beat them. Also, there's a particular tune that I'm LOVING in this season that's been used a few times. We heard it when they were going through all the different Doctors in the first episode, at the end of last episode, and during the Doctor's defeat of the angels in this episode. Can't really describe it aside from operatically awesome.

And yeah, I'd say that River Song likely killed the Doctor in the future (her past; cripes, time travel gives me a headache). I like Moffat's hinting toward the finale more than RTD's, though. Instead of one word or something in the episode, like Torchwood or Bad Wolf, it's a part of the plot like it should be.

But you know what sucks, now? We don't get another Moffat episode UNTIL the finale, now. :([/QUOTE]

You mean this one?

One thing that struck me was just how astonishingly dark/'adult-themed' (oh, gods, you know what I mean) this episode was. I mean, seriously, it was pretty much Torchwood-level, only executed in a rather less... puerile manner.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

also, don't know if anyone else caught it...

the scene where the doctor comes back to reassure amy, and tells her to remember? he's wearing his jacket. the one currently being held by the angels. and he tells her something rather out of context for the episode. conclusion? thats not the current doctor.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

also, don't know if anyone else caught it...

the scene where the doctor comes back to reassure amy, and tells her to remember? he's wearing his jacket. the one currently being held by the angels. and he tells her something rather out of context for the episode. conclusion? thats not the current doctor.

Or maybe the production team just made a mistake.

Or...
Amy is crazier than we thought.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

How the smurf is 'nine' or 'ten' a spoiler with no context?

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

How the smurf is 'nine' or 'ten' a spoiler with no context?
He was trying to evoke the sense of dread during Amy countdown, like if he was infected by a angel as well
seven

Rubicon

Good episode again. Starting to wonder about River Song though, she seems more along the lines of an anti-hero. And if she really knows the Doctor from that far in the future (that being, him at 900 years old is "young"), I also worry we really won't ever get a full explanation of her and the Doctor (i.e. their "history" and everything).

Seeing the angels "move" when Amy dropped the comm unity was freaky as hell. I love the weeping angels.

Another big crack thing in the universe? Heres to hopping Moffat has something good. The whole Doomsday storyarch was good but I just hope he doesn't revisit it... Now that the Daleks are back out there, we all know they probably have detected this and are trying to use it.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Karen Gillan... rawr!

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Theory about River Song

A possibility is that she actually is or was a Doctor "Fan-girl", who better than a archeologist to find out about him? after being obsessed over him, she finally meets him, but also fabricates much of her experiences to impress him. Her journal might also be stolen.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

All I gotta say is that the Doctor has more self-control than I would have in the same situation.

Rubicon

All I gotta say is that the Doctor has more self-control than I would have in the same situation.
If it had been Rose, I think he might not have resisted so easily, if at all.

And yea GL, I'm thinking something similar. I mean, as cool as it was, I was always wondering why The Doctor started to keep a journal of events in his life if he knew previous timeline versions of himself could never read it cause of spoilers?

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

If it had been Rose, I think he might not have resisted so easily, if at all.

And yea GL, I'm thinking something similar. I mean, as cool as it was, I was always wondering why The Doctor started to keep a journal of events in his life if he knew previous timeline versions of himself could never read it cause of spoilers?[/QUOTE]

I never said that it was written by the Doctor. I was actually thinking in a another companion, but in light of this episode, who knows.

Veteran

After the latest episode (and Confidential) I have complete faith in the Grand Moff to tie every and all plots into one giant pink bow at the end of his tenure.

Hell, I think he'll go the whole hog and show McGann turn into Ecclestone.

Rubicon

Or better yet, give us a large look at the last great Time War between the Daleks and the Time Lords that caused the Doctor to destroy both civilizations to save the known universe and time itself.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Or better yet, give us a large look at the last great Time War between the Daleks and the Time Lords that caused the Doctor to destroy both civilizations to save the known universe and time itself.[/QUOTE]

This reminds me, when did the doctor explained his own nature and story for Amy? I don't remember exactly.

At least according with Davies, the Time War couldn't be represented in it's full glory, no matter how high the budget =p

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

RTD? What's that mean?

Iaculus

RTD? What's that mean?
Russell T. Davies, former series head.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

This reminds me, when did the doctor explained his own nature and story for Amy? I don't remember exactly.

At least according with Davies, the Time War couldn't be represented in it's full glory, no matter how high the budget =p
As far as we know, he hasn't yet. just a cryptic comment on him being the last one, and that it was a 'bad day'.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I think it's a good thing if we don't see the Time War, only its secondary - or even tertiary - effects to the space-time continuum. Just some of the names involved - "the Skaro Degradations, the Horde of Travesties, the Nightmare Child, the Could've Been King with his Army of Meanwhiles and Neverweres" - evoke such terrifying vistas that actually portraying them would likely prove anti-climactic.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I think it's a good thing if we don't see the Time War, only its secondary - or even tertiary - effects to the space-time continuum. Just some of the names involved - "the Skaro Degradations, the Horde of Travesties, the Nightmare Child, the Could've Been King with his Army of Meanwhiles and Neverweres" - evoke such terrifying vistas that actually portraying them would likely prove anti-climactic.
Just look at the Shadow Proclamation. It sounded so cool, but turns out to be an inter-galactic bureaucracy.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

RTD? What's that mean?
Russell T. Davies, former series head.[/QUOTE]

RTD makes me think of a can-shaped robot.

Just look at the Shadow Proclamation. It sounded so cool, but turns out to be an inter-galactic bureaucracy.[/QUOTE]

That was actually a budget problem, original idea was a star-wars like interplanetary congress with thousands or different species represented. Sadly they couldn't pull the CGI for it. =/

And yes, I do think that actually showing the Time War would take its charm, but showing the elements involved would be interesting, I am specially curious about the Skaro Degradations and the Could've Been King (or rather, what is a Meanwhile Army).

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

the plan was to have a scene in stolen earth/journeys end with as many species as they could possibly fit in one scene, instead of what we got. which was a room with a woman with red eyes and a squad of space rhinoceri. they didn't have the budget to do it :(

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

the plan was to have a scene in stolen earth/journeys end with as many species as they could possibly fit in one scene, instead of what we got. which was a room with a woman with red eyes and a squad of space rhinoceri. they didn't have the budget to do it :(
The worst, is that I got the strong vibe that the room was rented for like afternoon and they din't even changed the decoration, but I guess isn't everyone that gets a hollywood budget =|

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'd love to see The Nightmare Child.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I'd love to see The Nightmare Child.

MUH-MUHHH!!!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I'm not liking much past the first episode of this season.

Seeing the angels move (and talk, technically) took the creep out of them, the Dalek episode was just lame, and yet another OH MY GOD I LOVE THE DOCTOR subplot.

I'm honestly worried that any good things set up under RTD are being unraveled to sucker in that coveted teenage demographic.

Veteran

I don't know, Rose and Martha in love with the Doctor was different than Amy just wanting a quickie before getting hitched. For me it was the first believable companion reaction to the Doctor!

"I'm 907 years old! 907! Do you know what that means?"

"It's been a while?"

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

I don't know, Rose and Martha in love with the Doctor was different than Amy just wanting a quickie before getting hitched. For me it was the first believable companion reaction to the Doctor!

"It's been a while?"
Also, one of the must funniest moments in the Doctor history, and while I felt that Amy was a bit... lets say imoral, it is something more atuned to modern society than "Ooooh, I so in love it with him and his huge ship".

figmentPez

figmentPez

Oh, she loves his "huge ship" all right. Did you see the look on her face as she watched him strip in the first episode?

Calleja

Calleja

What more proof that the Doctor's not human than turning down KAREN GILLAN is there? No homo sapiens would turn Karen down. Ever.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

What more proof that the Doctor's not human than turning down KAREN GILLAN is there? No homo sapiens would turn Karen down. Ever.
I'm still waiting for that French maid outfit.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

look what I found.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

"It's been a while?"
See, my favorite companion was Donna. Instead of relying on the tired romantic subplot, they were actually just companions. They played off of each other so much better than Doc/Martha, and in some cases even Rose. They worked better (at least to me) because there was no look-of-longing to fall back on in order to push character development.

Calleja

Calleja

Amy is not gonna fall in love with the Doctor, this has been repeated as much as they can by Moffat, Gillan and Smith... precisely to get away from the whole Martha/Rose thing.

This was a girl scared about her wedding wanting to fuck the nearest available man. Which happens. Believe me.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Amy is not gonna fall in love with the Doctor, this has been repeated as much as they can by Moffat, Gillan and Smith... precisely to get away from the whole Martha/Rose thing.

This was a girl scared about her wedding wanting to fuck the nearest available man. Which happens. Believe me.
Precisely.

All she wanted was to bone him like a fish. A sex fish.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

"It's been a while?"
See, my favorite companion was Donna. Instead of relying on the tired romantic subplot, they were actually just companions. They played off of each other so much better than Doc/Martha, and in some cases even Rose. They worked better (at least to me) because there was no look-of-longing to fall back on in order to push character development.[/QUOTE]

See, I don't mind the idea of a companion falling in love with the doctor, but it gets annoying when every single one does, specially since they aren't using male companions as regulars anymore, it would be amusing to see the doctor travelling with a married couple for example, just for the sake of change.

I actually got that, and I found it awesome(ly funny) how the scene was done. xD

Bowielee

Bowielee

Personally, I've ALWAYS hated the idea of the Doctor having romantic entanglements with his companions. It really goes against everything previously established about the character. I hated it in the Doctor Who movie and I was OK with the Rose thing from a story standpoint, but for the character, it didn't gel for me. The Doctor shouldn't be involved with his companions, because he knows better. I just chalk the Rose thing up to being recovery from the horrors of the Time War, and starting with Donna, he's getting back to being himself.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Makes sense, Calleja, but honestly the best way to get away from it is to not include the "herp derp let's bone" scenario in the first place.

Calleja

Calleja

Makes sense, Calleja, but honestly the best way to get away from it is to not include the "herp derp let's bone" scenario in the first place.
Except that the "herp derp let's bone" scenario has been one of the funniest and most well-acted yet. Probably the best scene in the whole damned episode. And once more episodes are made in which Amy is NOT after the Doctor's bones, this lone scenario will be nothing but that.. a funny, yet plot-driving scene that was a nice conclusion to the episode. Probably even a tease directed towards romantic-doctor haters like you.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Probably even a tease directed towards romantic-doctor haters like you.
I actually thought that was the point. The Doctor is having uncomfortable visions and guilt about Rose and Martha, and then all of a sudden, hello, why are my pants falling off?

Rubicon

Personally, I've ALWAYS hated the idea of the Doctor having romantic entanglements with his companions. It really goes against everything previously established about the character. I hated it in the Doctor Who movie and I was OK with the Rose thing from a story standpoint, but for the character, it didn't gel for me. The Doctor shouldn't be involved with his companions, because he knows better. I just chalk the Rose thing up to being recovery from the horrors of the Time War, and starting with Donna, he's getting back to being himself.
At first I didn't like the romantic aspect of it either, even when Tennant took over. Then I realized, the Doctor has been through enough across so many years. He is the last of his kind, (aside from The Master who is now "gone" too), the poor guy is lonely, alone, and has no one. I didn't blame him for falling for Rose. Not one bit. I could never wrap my head around a 900 year old falling for a 22 year old but hey, its science fiction. More power to him. He deserves to be happy.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

http://mightygodking.com/index.php/2010/05/07/susans-shadow/

Really great article about this very subject (Doctor and love interests). Give it a read.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

http://mightygodking.com/index.php/2010/05/07/susans-shadow/

Really great article about this very subject (Doctor and love interests). Give it a read.
Yet another great find TNG. I haven't saw the old series, but this is actually a great light (or shadow) on the series.

also, I actually was squicked about that scene because Karen has a sort of a "too young face", not sure how to put the feeling in words.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm glad it brings up Romana. That is the only companion I could see the doctor having a real relationship with. Well, mainly because she's also a timelord.

Veteran

Another enjoyable episode tonight, despite some rathy shaky CGI and plot holes. I also thought it was one of the funniest.

The best moment had to be the library card though, not only for it showing Hartnell but for Dr. J. Smith!

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

Found the ep rather meh, and weirdly disjointed. i might have to rewatch this one.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, the fun and energy this season was missing in tonight's episode. It didn't have that spark of fun, nor the element of scary from the vampires. Hands down, the worst of the bunch this season so far.

Iaculus

Yeah, the fun and energy this season was missing in tonight's episode. It didn't have that spark of fun, nor the element of scary from the vampires. Hands down, the worst of the bunch this season so far.
Agreed, and felt that there were a lot of good opportunities here that the writer and director both lacked the aptitude to properly explore. On the other hand, there were a few good lines.

"Blimey. Fish from space have never been so... buxom."

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

Well, I'm finally caught up. I've been avoiding this thread because I was so far behind on the current Doctor Who series. Now I come in and see you've all done a wonderful job at spoiler tagging.

Regardless, I'm here. Nothing new to input right yet, but I'm here. Another Doctor fan checking in.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

God that was a horrible episode. The "Dreamlord" looks somewhat promising, but if it's not then I give up on this season. Such a huge disappointment to me overall.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Wow, I'm not really sure why everyone hated this episode so much. Sure it wasn't the best Doctor Who episode ever, but it wasn't THAT bad.

Speaking of which, I rewatched Doctor Who and the Daleks on Hulu last night. Calleja would have a fit, the character is actually referred to as Dr Who in that movie. God I forgot how horrible it was.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Wow, I'm not really sure why everyone hated this episode so much. Sure it wasn't the best Doctor Who episode ever, but it wasn't THAT bad.
I wasn't dissapointed with this episode. This was the worst episode of the season so far.

See, I was expecting much of this, I don't know you guys watch the previews, but from that it was obvious that it would be just a filler to after the angels two-parter.

I actually enjoyed the episode, because I wasn't expecting much of it, thought it was mostly in a So Bad that is Good way.

Well, let's see what the Dreamlord has for us.

Calleja

Calleja

The problem with this episode was that it was so effing UNORIGINAL.

I looked up what other episodes the writer had done.. Family Reunion.

Aliens posing as humans take advantage of adults' trust of schools and beginning secretly attacking a town's youth as the first step in a grandiose plan. Sound familiar? Exactly. Boring, done before, and self-derivative. Awful plot.

That being said, the in-between-the-plot moments had some real jewels. The Doctor making people act dangerously to impress him and to avoid letting him down? So effing true and so effing poignant. That's the best companion-doctor description I've heard. And it rang true for the Doctor with good reason.

The Doctor popping out of a cake was hilarious too... so, yeah, some very good moments wrapped around a mediocre episode with an awful plot but some pretty well-done photography. It felt so much like Venice that I thought I was playing Assassin's Creed 2 again.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Aliens posing as humans take advantage of adults' trust of schools and beginning secretly attacking a town's youth as the first step in a grandiose plan. Sound familiar? Exactly. Boring, done before, and self-derivative. Awful plot.
Eh, you could say the same thing about Moffat, too. Just the last two episodes, which had the bad guys talking creepily through radios (Library of the Dead). I could probably point out several "tricks" that Moffat has used before, but I just woke up.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

So: What was the lowest point in the entire episode? My vote goes to

Isabella Death by describing what is happening to her
But it was fun to see a Isabella being killed by vampires, if only her surname was Swan

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

I'M ON A HORSE!

figmentPez

figmentPez

One of the better Confidentials this week, I think. Tours of Venice, historical research, funny on-set stories. Very enjoyable.

Calleja

Calleja

Have I mentioned before how much I love Karen Gillan?

Well, just to be sure then:

MAN do I love Karen Gillan.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Have I mentioned before how much I love Karen Gillan?

Well, just to be sure then:

MAN do I love Karen Gillan.
I bet you're jealous of Arthur Darvill this week. A kissing scene with Karen and she forgets she's supposed to be the one to break off the make-out session?

Calleja

Calleja

And the wanker even made sure the director told her to make it "the kiss of his life".

That bastard.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Karen Gillan interviews Matt Smith

Rubicon

Another enjoyable episode tonight, despite some rathy shaky CGI and plot holes. I also thought it was one of the funniest.

The best moment had to be the library card though, not only for it showing Hartnell but for Dr. J. Smith!

I caught that too and totally geeked out, I love when they tie in really older version Doctor stuff into the new series. Great stuff.

Overall good episode. Still better than the Dalek stuff thus far. Though the crack-in-the-universe stuff is painfully obvious..

Calleja

Calleja

It seems so far that every single director who's directed Karen Gillan knows that her face was made for close ups.

Even the guy who did this interview.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Another "eh" episode. The Dream Lord was so anti-climactic, too.

For a seaon that started out so strong, it's starting to peter out and become one of my lesser favourites.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

i really enjoyed the low-key feel of the episode, as well as the dreamlord painstakingly deconstructing everything about the doctor. " if you had more tawdry quirks you could open up a tawdry quirk shop! i'm surprised you haven't got a little purple space dog'

the ep had more fridge horror than genuine scares. Like the fact that
the doctor apparently hates himself enough to create the twisted game in the episode.

speaking of which, time for
valeyard
speculation!

and next week? silurians!

Veteran

"Floppy-haired wuss" won it for me!

The episode reminded me of Father's Day for Rose, just straightforward character development and much needed.

Matt²

the Valeyard, or The Doctor, as I've always known him, is an amalgamation of all the darker parts of the Doctor somewhere between his 12th and 13th regenerations.
(from the Master during "Trial of a Timelord")

Hence, the "Dreamlord" as he's calling himself, is just ONE of those parts! We're likely to see another, if not several more, by the looks of it, if Moffat is keeping the timeline history intact.

also interesting to note (TLDR, if this has been mentioned, sorry) that Dreamlord's snaps to other areas in the Tardis, instantly, like a video flicker.. Eccleston and Tennant both had memory programs that did that too, even if this was all a dream.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

I liked this episode, good-to-average and interesting, two bad I already knew that.

both realities are dreams, still, Dreamlord being the Doctor dark side was awesome

edit: also, hey, finally 1000 posts >.<

figmentPez

figmentPez

I don't think I could correctly identify more than 2 of these compaions, but this is still awesome:

Veteran

That's great! I can identify 8: Susan, Sarah-Jane, Leela, Romana (both of them), Peri, Ace and obviously Rose. Can't remember the name of the woman in McGann's movie, or who Bonnie Langford was.

Bowielee

Bowielee

That's great! I can identify 8: Susan, Sarah-Jane, Leela, Romana (both of them), Peri, Ace and obviously Rose. Can't remember the name of the woman in McGann's movie, or who Bonnie Langford was.
Shame, you missed Nyssa and Teegan.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Okay, took me a while to get around to watching last week's Confidential, for the episode Amy's Choice, but it made me wonder something. I'm spoilering because it's a tangent, but it does go off of plot points:

Am I the only one who regularly has dreams and knows he's dreaming? Sometimes I have dreams where I don't know I"m dreaming, at the time, but I also frequently have dreams where I'm fully aware I'm in a dream and often I can take control of the dream as well. Trying to force too much change in the dream usually causes me to wake up, and it's pretty exhausting to try some of the cooler stuff (flight, power ring constructs) but all the writers and cast were talking like no one ever knows it's dream while they're in it, and that's an odd concept to me.

Calleja

Calleja

Okay, took me a while to get around to watching last week's Confidential, for the episode Amy's Choice, but it made me wonder something. I'm spoilering because it's a tangent, but it does go off of plot points:

Am I the only one who regularly has dreams and knows he's dreaming? Sometimes I have dreams where I don't know I"m dreaming, at the time, but I also frequently have dreams where I'm fully aware I'm in a dream and often I can take control of the dream as well. Trying to force too much change in the dream usually causes me to wake up, and it's pretty exhausting to try some of the cooler stuff (flight, power ring constructs) but all the writers and cast were talking like no one ever knows it's dream while they're in it, and that's an odd concept to me.
What you're describing is called Lucid Dreaming... it's something most people experience a few times, but it's not by far, common for it to happen a lot. Indeed, there are people who work for YEARS to achieve lucid dreaming.. keeping dream journals to recognize "dream signs", etc. And then they have to learn how to keep a lucid dream lucid without waking up or slipping into a non-lucid one. It's hard work, dude.

Hell, they're already testing a device of sort that will emit a low sound when you enter REM sleep, so that when you hear it you know you're dreaming and can then have a lucid dream.

So yes, most people don't get that naturally and it's not foreign to see dreams as something you don't know is happening at the time.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

My few lucid dreams were boring, mostly because the lack o f challenging.

Also, this slast episode... was just average, impressively average, no terrible bad moment but no awesome moment either

Overflight

So I just saw "The Hungry Earth"/"Cold Blood". Pretty good episodes. I don't think this season has had a bad episode so far.

Poor Rory. :( I hope the ring is meant to be some way to restore Amy's memory and bring him back.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

Poor Rory. :(
Who?

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

So I just saw "The Hungry Earth"/"Cold Blood". Pretty good episodes. I don't think this season has had a bad episode so far.

Poor Rory. :( I hope the ring is meant to be some way to restore Amy's memory and bring him back.
"pretty good"? The first bit was the most average episode in the entire Doctor Who new run (average meaning that it lacked anything truly good or bad) the last one was... a abomination

Matt²

Poor Rory. :(
Who?

heh, exactly. I know he's slated to return though, but I hope permanently.. it would suck if they permanently killed him off like that!

the part with the Doctor pulling the shattered and broken piece of the Tardis at the end was TOTALLY FRICKIN AWESOME! I don't think I've been this eager to see what's coming since the series revived in 2005!!

Calleja

Calleja

Holy shit.

That was... holy shit.

I had goosebumps all through that last museum scene. And I got watery eyes at some point. Oh man.. such a wonderful episode.

The whole Whovian thing was nothing but background... it was all about Van Gogh. And it was wonderful.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, the whole episode was ho-hum until the end and it was worth it. To be honest, I was so tired, I fell asleep through the episode and woke up right about when the Doctor asked Vincent to get cleaned up.

I still have to say, aside from the first four or five, this season has been wholly disappointing for me.

TwoBit

Wow. That was a rather sad and poignant episode. It was nice to have an ep that didn't do the "ZOMG time rift!" thing again.

Since when did the Doctor have a godmother with two heads?

klew

klew

It was like The Girl in the Fireplace with a happy ending.

Iaculus

Wow. That was a rather sad and poignant episode. It was nice to have an ep that didn't do the "ZOMG time rift!" thing again.

Since when did the Doctor have a godmother with two heads?
Knowing the Doctor, he probably has hundreds of godmothers. Dozens with two heads.

Agreed on it being a nicely poignant episode, but...

... giant invisible chicken? Really?

Calleja

Calleja

Stop criticizing it!!! This episode, ladies and gentlemen, is the moment I decided I like the new Who, even if not The Doctor himself (yet), as much as the previous incarnation. With lots of room to grow.

I'm loving this season, and if we get more episodes like this I'm gonna start loving it more than Tennant's.

figmentPez

figmentPez

The emotion in that episode. Such a wonderful smiling sadness. Van Gogh, Amy and Rory. The Doctor being the Doctor. Magnificent. And such beautiful cinematography as well.

Calleja

Calleja

The perspective... the not even explaining WHY Van Gogh could see the alien. That was the magic in this episode.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

I'm just not enjoying this season's episodes as I have enjoyed the ones prior.

Calleja

Calleja

Just for that, I'm revoking your "could crash on my couch" status.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

Then I'm revoking your "Honorary Irishman" and "My Mexican Irish Brother" status.

.... see if you get any of the Irish Mexican tacos next time I'm around.....

Matt²

I'm just not enjoying this season's episodes as I have enjoyed the ones prior.
I haven't enjoyed many of the episodes either, particularly the one with River Song returning, and the very lackluster "whale in space eating people but not children" ship story, etc etc.. but it has finally started to grow on me. I enjoyed the Silurian ending, and how it kept with 40 year old Doctor Who history. Well, 50 years if you count the 2020 timeline! ;) ..

But they are big shoes to fill and each actor has had an adjustment time fitting into the shoes. We'll see how it ends.

Calleja

Calleja

Was I the only one who went "GLEEEEE!!" when the recognizing-thingie machine flashed the First Doctor.. and then the Second... and then.. they moved the camera? It printed the first one too!! So much fan service.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

Was I the only one who went "GLEEEEE!!" when the recognizing-thingie machine flashed the First Doctor.. and then the Second... and then.. they moved the camera? It printed the first one too!! So much fan service.
I enjoyed that, don't get me wrong. And there are many other things I'm really enjoying about this season. But the episodes are just not grabbing me and exciting me as ones from past seasons.

Matt²

I enjoyed that, don't get me wrong. And there are many other things I'm really enjoying about this season. But the episodes are just not grabbing me and exciting me as ones from past seasons.[/QUOTE]

They've done that several times this season.. first with the giant eye saucer, then with William Hartnell's library card in Vampires of Venice, and then most recently.. but a 3 second shot does not an episode make.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I think I'm realizing several reasons why these later episodes, and the season overall, hasn't been lighting me on fire:

1) Matt Smith just...isn't doing it for me. There's nothing about him that's really sold it for me. The first couple of episodes showed a lot of promise, but overall, he's been kind of...dull. When Tennant changed from Eccelston, he was so invariably different from Eccelston that he was really noticeable. The same can't be said for Smith. He's more reserved than Tennant, admittedly, but he's just hasn't done or said anything that's sold me at all. Of course, it may not help that......

2) ...there's more focus on Amy than The Doctor. Nothing wrong with that, per say, but I think that focus on the companion instead has not given us a chance to get to know this new Doctor. Plus, compared to the much more reserved Smith, the actress that plays Amy has wound up scene-stealing more. Of course, we're also used to the constantly scene-stealing Tennant, so that doesn't help matters. BUT, the show is called Doctor Who, not The Adventures of Amy Pond.

3) The overall storyarc, with the cracks in time and such, was getting really interesting and exciting...for the episodes that Moffat was writing (the first four or so; up to the River Song 2-parter). In a lot of ways, it was starting to feel serial, not episodic, which I was rather enjoying. But aside from last weeks' bit, that momentum has slowed down considerably.

4) Rory is goddamn dull and boring. I'm sorry, but it had to be said. The actor brings nothing and the character brings even less. This is especially compared to all the other great companions or even supporting companions, such as Rose's mother, Mickey or Donna's grandfather. I have absolutely no invested interest in Rory and honestly little to no emotional reaction to what happened to him.

5) Unfortunately, because of a number of things I listed above, it's hurt the last bunch of episodes. Aside from the actress who plays Amy, a lot of them have been just...dull. Where's the fun sense of adventure?

Calleja

Calleja

Yeah? Well....

it's spelled "per se" :humph:

figmentPez

figmentPez

The Adventures of Amy Pond.
When does this air? I want to see it!

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

The Adventures of Amy Pond.
When does this air? I want to see it![/QUOTE]

Does it involve lingerie? If so, I'm hooked already.

Biardo

I'm with calleja on this one, this episode was beautiful and really got to me

Matt²

I'm with calleja on this one, this episode was beautiful and really got to me
having said all I said two post ago, I got busy with work and hence forgot to profess my love for this episode as well ... as one who deals with depression myself regularly, I thought the "love song" to Vincent at the end was beautifully touching and yet his end, though vowing to be moved to higher hopes, is still tragic and speaks volumes of the woes of this blasted condition. (disease? syndrome? disorder? plague?)

I'm still interested to see what the end result of the Pandorica Opening and Rory will be? And did anyone catch that in next weeks preview, on the refridgerator (I think it was?) there was a poster of Vincent Van Gogh's name?

Calleja

Calleja

... "refridgerator"? :paranoid:

Matt²

Callejajajajajajaja?

Calleja

Calleja

.....say whaaat?

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

bit of a delayed response, but...

I've found that the episodes are much more enjoyable when they aren't live, or on the second watch. i've had that with vampires in venice and with the recent ep. episodes that i've found average fared much better on the repeat.

this ep? the end with the museum definitely made the ep for me. and its nice to see that they haven't just dropped the rory angle.

and i've loved this season.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

So no one wanted to comment on the lodger?

Well, I end up liking the episode, only because I felt it was going to suck, but well it is a nice lighthearted episode.

the next one:

RIVER SONG RETURNS! Actually, everyone returns o.o

figmentPez

figmentPez

So no one wanted to comment on the lodger?
I haven't had a chance to watch it until just now. Life has been kicking my tuchus.

Anyway, I loved this episode. Absolutely awesome. The Doctor plating football, cooking, trying so hard to be normal and failing. I love him playing matchmaker as well.

Very much looking forward to next week.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

The lodger was a nice surprise. i was really worried it would be the let down of the season, but it was great! matt smith stole the whole episode, without a doubt.

and the trailer for the finale. great googly moogly i want that episode now.

and calling it now

the doctor is in the pandorica. lead piping optional.

Calleja

Calleja

This is the episode we first see how different the Eleventh Doctor is from the Tenth. I don't see the previous Doctor putting on shorts and playing football... and being awesome at it to boot.

Awesomeness.

But.. wait wait wait wait. The next episode is the finale!?!?! ALREADY!? HOW LONG UNTIL NEXT SEASON?!

Matt²

This is the episode we first see how different the Eleventh Doctor is from the Tenth. I don't see the previous Doctor putting on shorts and playing football... and being awesome at it to boot.

Awesomeness.

But.. wait wait wait wait. The next episode is the finale!?!?! ALREADY!? HOW LONG UNTIL NEXT SEASON?!

Yeah he CAN play stuff in various incarnations.. he just doesn't regularly... and re: this video, even after watching it I STILL have no idea how or why cricket is played! ;)

Calleja

Calleja

I said TENTH doctor u_u

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Awesomeness.

It is the first part of the season finale, and the next season will be next year... of course there is the christimas special. :3

figmentPez

figmentPez

Yeah he CAN play stuff in various incarnations.. he just doesn't regularly... and re: this video, even after watching it I STILL have no idea how or why cricket is played! ;)
Cricket? Nobody understands cricket. You gotta know what a crumpet is to understand cricket.

Matt²

I said TENTH doctor u_u
My point was, 10th (and 9th respectively) Doctor was THE most physically ACTIVE Doctor I've ever seen in the series. Running around like crazy, down halls, down gravel pits, etc etc. Just because we didn't see him do it doesn't mean he CAN'T.

Matt²

...with the Doctor trying (and usually FAILING) to get people back and forth to the CORRECT places and points in time... part of me wonders if it's a bit more simple than all the Pandorica box?

Perhaps the Tardises collide trying to come into one point (after all the jumbling in the time vortex after all) and one of the Tardises, instead of being able to compensate, just says "Ok, I'm done" and explodes?

kinda similar to this :

FnordBear

FnordBear

My personal guess based on bits of dialog from the River Song episode as well as other tidbits:
It will be the 11th Doctor who successfully re-wrote the timeline. I believe also River will kill him to undo what he has done OR will kill the doctor that we as a viewer have been following to prevent him from not undoing the temporal rewrites.

That or there will be cake in the box.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Cricket? Nobody understands cricket. You gotta know what a crumpet is to understand cricket.[/QUOTE]

You're not a punker, are you? Man, I hate punkers.

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

I'm a little behind as well and anyone who has been reading my comments this season know that I haven't really been digging most of it.

This episode?

Best damn episode since the premiere, by far. Loved how the other dude shouted "geronimo!". Though, in retrospect, Mister Eleven hasn't been saying it nearly as often as I'd expected (not nearly as often as Nine's "fantastic" or Ten's "allon ze!" or however you spell it).

So yeah, two thumbs way up for this bad boy. The sight of The Doctor wearing his jacket OVER his soccer uniform alone was worth the price of admission. Now, let's get on to the MAIN EVENT!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Okay, this is a considerable mindfuck.

klew

klew

The sight of The Doctor wearing his jacket OVER his soccer uniform alone was worth the price of admission. Now, let's get on to the MAIN EVENT!
And you noticed the number on his back?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Heh, I didn't, but I can only assume one number. *grin*

*goes to check*

Heh. YUP!

Calleja

Calleja

Eleven?

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

HOLY SHIT.

CYBERMEN. DALEKS. SONTARANS. EVERY GODDAMN MONSTER IN THE WHONIVERSE. and their plan WORKS. roman rory! auton rory! dead amy!end of the universe!

and my earlier prediction?
i was...sort of right. hoooly shit on a pancake thats not good.

my GOD that was an awesome cliffhanger.

and thanks a lot moffat, for making the cybermen high octane nightmare fuel again. when the biological part is used up, they GO LOOKING FOR A HOST.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I gotta agree: HOLY SHIT! I mean, I had a feeling it was going to be good when

EVERYONE from this season showed up. Vincent, Churchill, the Queen, River...just...holy crap.

And then it just got better and better!

All the different ships in the sky! All the different aliens!

And that ending. That was, HANDS EFFING DOWN, the best part 1 of a 2-parter or hell, even a finale. Why? Why did I lose so little faith in Moffat during this season? Everything's been set up perfectly and...holy, holy, holy crap.

Now, two big honking questions:

1) Amy's obviously not dead, but what about Rory? Auton Rory's not going to take over, is he? That'd be kinda cool to have a dude with a "handgun" once in awhile.
2) River better not be effing dead. Her and the Doctor still need to have that picnic at Asgard.

So yeah, I know I've been complaining about this season overall, but holy crap, did this one episode ever make up for EVERY bit of it.

Calleja

Calleja

Holy shit!!

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

nothing odd there...except...
why does a house with only two floors need a second set of stairs?

Calleja

Calleja

Are we sure that's not like a production mistake?

They already used the "why are there stairs leading to nowhere" schtick just last episode.... they going for it again?

klew

klew

Look at me! I'm a target!

Veteran

The Cyberman head chomping with it's face at Amy was just brilliant! That is how you make the Cybermen scary. Moffat sure does know how to frighten the little kiddies.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

They already used the "why are there stairs leading to nowhere" schtick just last episode.... they going for it again?
I think the term is "chekovs gun"

either way, a awesome episode =D

Matt²

Could be an attic that's smaller than the rest of the house?

figmentPez

figmentPez

I don't think they've fully explored the whole "somebody is trying to build a TARDIS" angle.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

so nasa found something interesting on one of its missions,

:shocked: oh fuck me. thats not good.

Iaculus

Hey, was there a post above me just now?

Calleja

Calleja

Uh.. yeah. figmentPez trying to be insightful, why?

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

so nasa found something interesting on one of its missions,

:shocked: oh fuck me. thats not good.
what it this?

Iaculus

Uh.. yeah. figmentPez trying to be insightful, why?
Oh. Right. Good point. I just could have sworn there was... something else.

Probably my imagination.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I dunno, kinda on the fence about this finale. I didn't enjoy most of this season, though, so I don't know if I'll bother coming back for the new stuff.

rac3r_x

rac3r_x

As the Doctor gets younger with each regen, will the next actor who plays the 12th Doctor actually be 12?

Biardo

holly shit that was awesome!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Doctor WHo: The Pandorica OPENS!

Wow. Aside from Cee-Kay, seems like we're all pretty much in agreement that, well, in the words of a great philosopher: "THAT WAS TOTALLY WICKED!!"

Matt²

As the Doctor gets younger with each regen, will the next actor who plays the 12th Doctor actually be 12?
I think the last Doctor actor should be young but be done up incredibly old. I just don't want to see a Benjamin Buttons spin on the Doctor.

Calleja

Calleja

It's not gonna be the LAST Doctor, it can't be!! I wonder if Moffat is already thinking of how to give the Doctor "extra" regenerations.

It would be better if it's something that starts happening or you see the beginnings of with the 11th Doctor, otherwise it'd feel like a last minute cop-out. That's what I would do, at least.

Biardo

wait, I'm not really up to date with the old doctors, how many regenerations are there?

Calleja

Calleja

12 regenerations per time lord

Biardo

aah, maybe his daughter can take over then.

I know this wont happen but it would be a daring move by moffat.

Matt²

I agree.. if they have revived Doctor Who now, they aren't likely to kill a money making cash cow so soon, and a spinoff probably would NOT work for so major a character as The Doctor, so I think they're going to have to do something in the lines of what they presumably did with the Master, revive him and give him an unknown extra set of regenerations. Heck, I'd like to see a season of the Doctor as The Valeyard!! (The Doctor as evil incarnate)

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

12 regenerations per time lord
Regeneration - Doctor Who Wiki

Thirteen, actually, but that's just splitting hairs.

Calleja

Calleja

No, 12 regenerations, 13 incarnations.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, well...your face is 13 incarnations.

Calleja

Calleja

13 incarnations of AWESOME

Veteran

God almighty! If I never watch another TV show ever in my life I'll be contented. That was just the single greatest episode of anything I've ever watched ever.

Matt²

Wow.. good episode.. a bit like LOST's ending though,... not explaining a damned thing!!

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

good god that was *awesome*.

so completely not what i was expecting, and all the better for it. it felt really understated, especially compared to RTDs habit of overdoing his finales somewhat.

and i love how time travel is finally used as a plot device, rather than just a handy way of getting from A to B without all that annoying travelling in the way.

I wear a fez now. fez's are cool. *takes fez* *ZAP*

and its nice to see a villain that actually extends over more than one series. it stops it feeling so...self contained.

Calleja

Calleja

I thought for a moment they were taking my Karen Gillan away.

I was really pissed for that moment.

Also... holy shit, are the people who weren't happy with this season happy NOW?! Such an awesome fucking episode.

evilmike

evilmike

For some reason that I can't quite place, it left me a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong -- it's a good episode, and it's been a good season. It just feels like something was missing. I'll have to watch it again and see if I can figure it out.

Anyway,
It was great to see the loopback to "Flesh and Stone". Good job to everyone who spotted it. And I really liked the curve ball that we got hit with when the Pandorica opened and it was Amy instead of the Doctor. Also, I was glad that they asked the question "why did it happen in the first place" and implied that this is something that would be answered.

Also, for a moment, did anyone else think that:
Amy Pond = River Song, after Amy got the blank book?

Finally, isn't it great that:
The Cybermen, the Daleks, the Sontarans, and all of the other bad guys of the Doctor Who universe got together for one master plan... that succeeded? It wasn't the way they intended, but they reached their common goal -- they saved the universe by locking away the Doctor.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Great googily moogily, that was totally effing awesome. I have a feeling River Song shall be joining along with the crew of the USS Tardis very shortly. Oh, and Amy =/= River because of the blank book, Evil Mike. The Doctor told River afterwards that all the words were back in the book. He didn't look, though.

I'm glad they didn't shoe-horn the reveal of the villain at the end in this, though. That'll be all for NEXT season, which will include...an episode written by Neil freaking Gaiman. Holy shit, I can't wait for next season.

So yeah, complaints aside from some of the non-Moffat written episodes? This was a freaking awesome season overall and quite frankly, probably one of the stronger seasons of Doctor Who, period.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

An "in-depth" interview with Stephen Moffat.

Null

Null

Well, I've only seen up to the Van Gogh episode, which was dreadful.

evilmike

evilmike

Great googily moogily, that was totally effing awesome. I have a feeling River Song shall be joining along with the crew of the USS Tardis very shortly. Oh, and Amy =/= River because of the blank book, Evil Mike. The Doctor told River afterwards that all the words were back in the book. He didn't look, though.
To be fair, I did say it was a momentary thought. After all, it doesn't work with what came later. It was just an interesting idea that quickly became impossible.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Awesome episode. I'm in shock it was so awesome.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Well, I've only seen up to the Van Gogh episode, which was dreadful.
You, sir, have no heart.

Well, okay, you do have a heart. But I still think you're wrong about the van Gogh episode.

---------- Post added at 01:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

Holy... moly...

Just watched the season finale. While not as glorious as the Tenth's and Donna's duke-out with Davros, the final scenes from the book onward just kept winding me up in anticipation... and then they blast off to new adventures! Goddammit, Matt Smith, you're giving Tennant a real challenge when it comes to my favourite Doctors!

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Also... holy shit, are the people who weren't happy with this season happy NOW?! Such an awesome fucking episode.
I have a friend... he stoped at around 40minutes at this episode and I had to convince him watch further.

Also, he prefers torchwood over the Doctor

He says that he dislikes that the doctor is beyond a mary sue. Why he also claims that the Vagina-Vaporizing-monster is better than the TV-monster I have NO idea. And yes, he used that as a example.

I believe that is bitter and cynical =P
---

My thoughs, AWESOMERRIFICWIN episode.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Wasn't as bad as the rest of the season, but I'm not really impressed. Also, I was hoping SO HARD that he'd ditch Amy and Rory.

FnordBear

FnordBear

Just some comments:

What I liked:
The continuing of the Sonic not fixing everything and the Doctor relying more on his companions. I have always liked the episodes where the Doctor served more to empower those he traveled with as opposed to being a Deus Ex Machina and fixing everything himself.

Getting to see Dalek beg for mercy. River Song is becoming my favorite side character (starting to edge out Jack Harkness). River, once she is developed better, will probably deserve her own spinoff show. I would watch it.

Fezes are cool.

What I didn't like:
Still no mention of why no one remember key events from the Eckleston/Tenant run. Especially after the writers made it clear in those seasons people were not conveniently forgetting things that occurred.

Not enough original foes. This has been a season of "old enemies" so far. While I understand from a franchise standpoint this is a safe way to go I would have loved to see some foes for the Doctor that were no just one episode throw aways.

I think the writers could have done more with the whole "making a copy of a Tardis" thing.

I have to wait til December for more Doctor Who.

Rubicon

Good finale, I like how the left mysteries open instead of answering them all in a finale like they usually do. It'll be interesting to see River in future episodes. I guess the Christmas Special will be on the Oriental Express.. in space lol.

Biardo

naah that would be to easy,

Overall I enjoyed this season very much, there were a few really great episodes.

I like how the finale is more grounded and it tries to be logical instead of if everybody thinks my name I can be young again weee.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Been thinking about the episode over the last few days and something occured to me:

The Doctor essentially died three times in one episode:
1) Shot by the stone Dalek
2) Bllown up in the middle of the Big Bang 2
3) Walks into the crack in Amy's wall

This isn't any kind of complaint, but just an observation.

Matt²

re: I wonder Who the major villain is.

couple of questions unresolved of course (note the Capitalizations): Who is/was controlling the Tardis remotely? Who really caused the cracks in the universe? Who caused the feedback through the monitor as River was trying to land the Tardis in The Pandorica Opens which caused a feedback first audibly and then took over the screen and said in an older, more sinister voice "Silence will fall!" .. I earnestly HOPE it is the VALEYARD! ...for those of you not knowing, or not have read my previous post on this, the Valeyard is "an amalgamation of the darker sides of the Doctor, somewhere between his 12th and final regenerations." as seen from the Colin Baker season "Trial of a Timelord".

The Valeyard IS The Doctor. The Valeyard can easily explain all that is going on with the cracks, the Pandorica, etc.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

re: I wonder Who the major villain is.

couple of questions unresolved of course (note the Capitalizations): Who is/was controlling the Tardis remotely? Who really caused the cracks in the universe? Who caused the feedback through the monitor as River was trying to land the Tardis in The Pandorica Opens which caused a feedback first audibly and then took over the screen and said in an older, more sinister voice "Silence will fall!" .. I earnestly HOPE it is the VALEYARD! ...for those of you not knowing, or not have read my previous post on this, the Valeyard is "an amalgamation of the darker sides of the Doctor, somewhere between his 12th and final regenerations." as seen from the Colin Baker season "Trial of a Timelord".

The Valeyard IS The Doctor. The Valeyard can easily explain all that is going on with the cracks, the Pandorica, etc.
Everything does fits perfectly to be so.

I just had a thought:

Maybe River Song is Valeyard companion? This could even have her killing the "best man that she ever knew" without being completely evil, and her (again) cryptic messages sugest something of that level coming

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I go "meh" during this season because the majority of early episodes were "won" with luck as opposed to the Doctor's brilliance or a companion, things like the Angels moving only when it's convenient as the episode reached a rather stale climax, and Amy Pond being the worst and most shallow companion since Martha. The season hasn't been all bad, Van Gogh was good and there were bits here and there I liked, but all in all nothing really stood out to me. Episodes like Blink and The Girl In The Fireplace are leagues better than anything this season.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

...being the worst and most shallow companion since Martha.
Wow, don't neet to be so rude =(

Episodes like Blink and The Girl In The Fireplace are leagues better than anything this season.
Hey, not fair, you pulling the big guns just like that?

This is moffat first season, I think he still "finding" his place as a head writter, much like RTD-run only got really good in the second year and onwards.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I liked Martha. :(

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

I liked Martha. :(
She wasn't terrible, but I think it was the wors companion of the new series, don't counting the one-episode ones of course xp

Is that sig gif taken from Batman Beyond Episode where there is a musical about batman and robin is a girl?

Calleja

Calleja

KAREN GILLAN IS NOT ONLY ONE OF THE BEST COMPANIONS IN THE HISTORY OF DOCTOR WHO SHE'S ALSO ONE OF THE CUTEST AND SEXIEST WOMEN TO HAVE EVER WALKED ON EARTH!!!

Matt²

blah.. I still miss Donna, who was awesome.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

KAREN GILLAN IS NOT ONLY ONE OF THE BEST COMPANIONS IN THE HISTORY OF DOCTOR WHO SHE'S ALSO ONE OF THE CUTEST AND SEXIEST WOMEN TO HAVE EVER WALKED ON EARTH!!!
Amy is very easy to cheat on her spent-almost-2000-years-protecting-her-husband, think of this.

Also, I think her face is too "cute" in a child-like way, I get creeped when you talk about her like that :confused:

blah.. I still miss Donna, who was awesome.
Year 4 was the best year ever. Donna was the best Companion in this generation, the only rival for her would be Rory =D

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

...being the worst and most shallow companion since Martha.
Wow, don't neet to be so rude =(

Episodes like Blink and The Girl In The Fireplace are leagues better than anything this season.
Hey, not fair, you pulling the big guns just like that?

This is moffat first season, I think he still "finding" his place as a head writter, much like RTD-run only got really good in the second year and onwards.[/QUOTE]

Maybe so, but every previous season has found some footing by now, and was more good episodes than bad.

And yeah, I don't care how cute she is (which is very), Amy Pond is a horrible companion. I'd rather the Doctor have just taken Rory along.

Matt²

Rory is pretty cool and I likes him, yes I do.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

The only thing that bugs me about Rory is that pretty much the only thing we really know about the character is that he loves Amy. Seriously, that's it. I'm hoping he gets more development next season.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I meant more about his personality. He's...bland. He won me over a lot with the "man who waited" Roman Centurian bit, but it still ties in with Amy.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

I meant more about his personality. He's...bland. He won me over a lot with the "man who waited" Roman Centurian bit, but it still ties in with Amy.
Well... he likes ponytails?

evilmike

evilmike

Random bit of Doctor Who fun:
BBC- Doctor Who - Radiophonatron

Matt²

needs updated sounds ;)

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

CyberDineMan on Dailymotion

Leaving this link more of a placeholder for next season. But it's all of the Confidential episodes for the most recent season. It's astonishing to watch this and see the kind of thought and work that goes into these episodes. Not to mention some of the brilliant ideas that go behind some the special effects.