Domain name redirects

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Soliloquy

So, let's say my company has a site set up at example.com, and recently purchased the domain name example.net. What is the best way to set it up so that people who go to ExampleDomainName.net get redirected to ExampleDomainName.com?

Also, would it be possible to set it up so that people who go to example.net/subdirectory can get redirected to example.com/subdirectory?

Host 'em both at the same IP, then have one just be a page that redirects to the other?
I assume there are more script-friendly ways to get the remaining desired behavior, but I don't know enough about webpage building to know how.

--Patrick

There are a million ways to do this. If your domain registrar also handles your DNS, then you have them do it for you. Godaddy and many others will forward domains for free.

If your web host manages your DNS, then you have your webhost do this.

If you tell me what providers you are using for your domain (your registrar) and your web hosting then I can give you better advice. Alternately, your existing domain name should allow me to whois enough information to tell you how best to handle it.

Worst case, you set up a new hosting account for the new domain, and then have it do the forward for you, but that's less elegant and more annoying to the web surfer.

What you're looking for is a CNAME record.

Code:
Name                 Type                  Value
---------------------------------------------------
example.net          CNAME              example.com
You should be able to set it somewhere in your registrar.

Status
Not open for further replies.