Don't pee on that jellyfish sting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it doesn't actually work that well.

http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/07/22/7142878-urine-doesnt-ease-jellyfish-stings-after-all

In fact, you're better off using sea water instead.

...quoting head of British Red Cross first aid Joe Mulligan.

“If people have been stung, they need to get out of the water to avoid getting stung again. Once out, slowly pouring seawater over the sting will help ease the pain.
“Doing the same thing with vinegar can be even more effective as the acid helps neutralise the jellyfish sting. But, unless you’re near a chip shop, seawater will probably be easier to find.”
Emergency physician Dr. Ryan Stanton, who's spent some time in Australia and is familiar with the country's venomous box jellyfish, agrees. The efficacy hierarchy here is this: vinegar, isopropyl alcohol, ocean water -- then urine, explains Stanton, now the medical director at UK HealthCare Good Samaritan Hospital in Lexington, Ky.
They suggest simply packing a small bottle of vinegar in your bag just in case. Just a helpful tip for anyone going to jellyfish infested beaches. ;)

Had one wrap itself around my leg as a child. At first I thought it was seaweed and began walking away. The feeling did not change, just a strange, almost thread like feeling wrapped around my leg. When I reached a bit more shallow water, I looked down and saw it coiled around my thigh like a tribal tattoo on some guido's arm. I promptly tried to reach down and remove it with my hands, as I wasn't feeling any pain yet I thought whatever it does to sting you, it hadn't done yet. After prying it off my leg, ripping one of the tendrils off (which is what made it release me) I felt quite lucky that it didn't hurt me.

Then I made it to shore a few seconds later.... noone peed on me and noone poured salt water on me. I screamed bloody murder and went to the nearest store for anti-burn cream or something to that effect if I remember correctly. The entire night I had the coil marks around my leg and for a few days afterward. So in closing,

I have a better idea: Never go into the sea.
Not go into the sea? That would take a lot of the fun out of surfing, sailing, bodyboarding, jetskiing, playing with my crazy dog in the surf and lots of other cool things! Just spent a week in the Outer Banks, North Carolina, with jellies all around us and despite their company and a few very minor stings (many of them do not sting in any way that hurts people) we all managed to get away without any need to be peed on. Kudos to the General for passing this information for those who don't know, and I'll recommend for a multitude of reasons that you be careful about going into the oceans naked.

Status
Not open for further replies.