Export thread

Emulated servers for online games

bigcountry23

bigcountry23

So in the old forum I had discussed my memories of the classic EQ game (anything before the last 12 expansions or so) and that led me to EQEMU (emulated servers for everquest). This led me to the topic of this post (and I felt the games forum was a good place as any for it).

So you buy a MMO game, which typically costs as much as a stand alone game, and you can only play it when you continue to shovel money on a monthly basis to the company who put out the game (the orriginal justification of this was hardware costs, support costs, development of future content, and basic overhead)

Along comes an individual (or group of individuals) who are willing to provide you the back end environment you are paying the aformentioned company for, but at no expense. Some are using the world as a canas to paint their own stories (compleatly custom quests, items, Etc) and others are imitating the orignal game as closly as possible.

So what are your thoughts on this?

Cuyval Dar

As long as they do not charge money for it, and develop their own server software, I have no problem with it.

Also, like SWGEMU, they need to have a valid reason for doing it.
SOE ruined Galaxies with the CU and NGE, and most of the userbase left. That is a valid reason for making an emulator.

Covar

Covar

As long as its not a cracked server I don't have an issue. Hell If it weren't for server emulators I would have never been able to play PSO online with my Dreamcast.