Export thread

Euro 2024

mikerc

mikerc

With Scotland playing Germany in the opening match of the Euros I thought you may all appreciate some phrases to help you fit in with Scotland supporters (you are all - @chris excepted - supporting Scotland, right?)

Yes Sir, I can Boogie - An unofficial anthem amongst the Scottish support for reasons possibly too complicated to explain. Let's just say it has it's origins in a stag do, a Scottish defender in drag, a recording studio booked to recreate the music video for this song & no doubt copious amounts of alcohol.

Should we play Adams or Shankland up front? - Che Adams & Lawrence Shankland are the 2 main Scottish strikers & there's been much debate about which of the 2 should start for Scotland.

I'm worried about right back - Much like Adams & Shankland up front there was debate about whether Aaron Hickey or Nathan Patterson should play at right back. Unfortunately they're both injured & no-one seems to know who our third best right back is.

If you're falling, you're playing - It doesn't matter how badly you're doing, you're here & that's the important thing.

Another glorious failure - This will be Scotland's twelfth major tournament & despite some decent performances they've never made it out of the group stages. But this time will be different.

bhamv3

bhamv3

(you are all - @chris excepted - supporting Scotland, right?)

(I believe that this means you and I must be considered mortal enemies for the duration of the tournament.)

mikerc

mikerc

(I believe that this means you and I must be considered mortal enemies for the duration of the tournament.)
groundskeeper-willie-you-just-made-an-enemy-for-life.gif

bhamv3

bhamv3

scots.gif

Bubble181

Bubble181

Obviously I'll be supporting Belgium, and hey, don't worry, we only have one untested left back in our whole selection since all the others are injured or not playing.
Expect "If only Courtois was here" on every goal we take - the best keeper in the world (well, one of, at least) but he's not playing for the national team anymore due to personal differences. The replacement(s) aren't bad but not of the same level.
We've got attacking power to spare, a midfield that can only work as long as Kevin is feeling well, and a defense that wouldn't be out of place in, say, the third division of UK soccer.
But I will be going to the match against Romania to see it live, so I've got that going for me.

chris

chris

Well, I'm ready.
1000011565.jpg

Bubble181

Bubble181

I'm drinking a beer that was on whiskybarrels, in honor of both.
I have sympathy for Scotland if course but I was born in Germany soooo

Bubble181

Bubble181

Ouch ouch ouch.
Germany isn't even trying anymore, and what Porteous did there was just... Oy. Why.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Six German goals, 5-1.
I know Neuer's a jerk but imagine waking up after an 80-minute nap like that, sheesh

mikerc

mikerc

Well, at least we helped the hosts look good. Not that they needed the help, but still. You're welcome Germany.

Bubble181

Bubble181

To be fair, it was never a fair match. But I still sincerely hope Scotland makes it through to the second round.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Germany probably thought back to the 5-1 they suffered against England in 2001 and thought, "Eh, Scotland... close enough. Let's mug 'em."

Bubble181

Bubble181

Oh my lord what a terrible match.

bhamv3

bhamv3

So, you guys know how Kylian Mbappe broke his nose in the match against Austria?

And you guys have probably heard about how he'd have to train and play with a protective mask now, to protect his fractured nose?

And, well, you guys know how Kylian Mbappe has sometimes been described as looking like a ninja turtle?

KM.png

Bubble181

Bubble181

I'm tempted to say France - Netherlands was a better match than Spain - Italy.
Italy just never really got anywhere, this had two teams really fighting for it.

chris

chris

Belgium - Romania match in less than a hour. Let's see if this match goes better than last time.

Bubble181

Bubble181

It went quite a bit better. Now we just need a defense who doesn't give the ball to the opponent, and strikers who can actually score when given the opportunity.

chris

chris

It went quite a bit better. Now we just need a defense who doesn't give the ball to the opponent, and strikers who can actually score when given the opportunity.
Yeah, that pass was unnecessary.

mikerc

mikerc

Well, not another glorious failure then. Just a failure. Scotland were dire all tournament.

Hoping for the best for Barnabas Varga though. He was getting treatment on the pitch for a long time before getting stretchered off.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Yeah, I have a lot of sympathy for Scotland, and I was really rooting for you guys (for the supporters, and the underdog, and atmosphere, and England, and all) to get a decent match and win against Hungary, but...Man. The quality just wasn't there.
Varga seems to be doing fine, though I doubt we'll be seeing him again this tournament.

Bubble181

Bubble181

It may be better to go out like Scotland than go through like England. Good lord they're playing terrible.
Man of the match - the viewer who managed to endure that ordeal.

bhamv3

bhamv3

There's been plenty of debate on how Gareth Southgate should be perceived. Is he a good manager who's successfully achieved consistently decent results in international football, which is notoriously unpredictable? Or is he a bad manager who's got some of England's most talented players ever playing dour and negative football? Are England succeeding because of Southgate, or in spite of him?

So far in this tournament, the evidence is strongly on the "in spite of" side.

mikerc

mikerc

There's been plenty of debate on how Gareth Southgate should be perceived. Is he a good manager who's successfully achieved consistently decent results in international football, which is notoriously unpredictable? Or is he a bad manager who's got some of England's most talented players ever playing dour and negative football? Are England succeeding because of Southgate, or in spite of him?

So far in this tournament, the evidence is strongly on the "in spite of" side.
The consensus at my work is that England have a fantastic group of players - probably the best at the tournament - but they don't have anything approaching a team. And that is almost certainly Southgate's fault.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Four teams with four points, it's unique!
Poor Ukraine, I have to say they deserved it more than Belgium. This was terrible.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Congrats Belgium and Slovakia...

Bubble181

Bubble181

Holy crap Georgia.
And holy crap the new record for number of cards in a match... 18 yellow and 2 red, I think.

chris

chris

Germany - Denmark. What a downpour. At least the fans in the station are still in a good mood. Sorry for the fans at the public viewing that had to go home.

chris

chris

Still can't believe that Italy lost.

chris

chris

And Germany wins 2-0

Bubble181

Bubble181

Still can't believe that Italy lost.
Switzerland was just plain better.
I really don't know what the Italians did with their talent.

Bubble181

Bubble181

And Germany wins 2-0
Deserved, though I feel a 2-1 would've been fairer.
But if this keeps up, by the finals we're going to have four riders on horses descending from the clouds halfway through the match.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Number of cardiac infarctions in England reaches all time high :aaah:
I was really rooting for Slovakia by the end there, sheesh, so close!

Bubble181

Bubble181

Well, so much for that I guess. Ugh.

chris

chris

Germany - Spain
overtime. I knew it would be a hard game but man it's ugly

Bubble181

Bubble181

If my count is correct Kroos should've had 4.5 yellow cards by now:confused:

chris

chris

It's somewhat amazing, that there are still 22 players on the field.
Post automatically merged:

And the next one on the ground.

chris

chris

And it's over

To bad, I expected at least semi final.

Bubble181

Bubble181

This should have been the finals. These were the two best teams, they were really closely matched, and both teams deserved a top spot.
Fullkrug just had a little too much bad luck.
And honestly, that hands play should have been a penalty.
Post automatically merged:

And it's over

To bad, I expected at least semi final.
On the other side of the brackets England or the Netherlands is probably going to make the finals and they're not as good as Germany. Far from it.

chris

chris

The hands play is still discussed.

Bubble181

Bubble181

The hands play is still discussed.
I know. The offside before might be a way out for the VAR but the decision was made so fast that wasn't what they judged on.
I say that this was a way more important hands play than the one that got Belgium's goal denied against Slovakia.

Bubble181

Bubble181

... Is there really no mercy rule for the public where we can send these two home and keep Germany?
Asking as a neutral spectator. Really. It would benefit the quality of the total tournament.

Bubble181

Bubble181

... Is there really no mercy rule for the public where we can send these two home and keep Germany?
Asking as a neutral spectator. Really. It would benefit the quality of the total tournament.
This also applies to England. Jeeze.

bhamv3

bhamv3

If France and England reach the final, football as a whole is the loser.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I think any neutral spectator who enjoys football has to be rooting for a Spain-Netherlands final now.
And heavens know I DONT want the Netherlands to have yet another final spot (or even victory though that seems unlikely) to lord over Belgium, but....

mikerc

mikerc

I don't care who Spain play in the final, over the course of the tournament they've earned this trophy far more than either England or Netherlands. Not that I believe either of those teams have a chance if Spain can maintain their high standards for one more match.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Ahem.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Well, this time at least they brought about 45 minutes of good football.