Fantasy Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
This thread is NOT going to be about the HF House of Pain, which will be in year #2. No, this thread is about Fantasy Football in general. Who you are going to draft in what position and why.

For example, in my league (Webermania! FFL!) QBs are worth a LOT so I'll either go Drew Brees or Peyton Manning. But of course we are a PPR league so if Peterson could catch a few more from the backfield I'd think about that.

What are your picks?

Oh, and as we get closer to draft day I'll be doing a much more in-depth rundown.

I am interested in this year in switching to the Auction format of Fantasy Football exclusively since I have been reading a lot and listening to a lot of podcasts that basically have the same conclusion that the ordered draft format is terrible and relies way too much on luck.

Dave

Staff member
What?!? What do you mean relies on luck? I don't get this. Can you point me to one of those podcasts so I can hear their arguments?

B

BErt

Josh Cribbs, first round.

The league I've been in the longest does the first 4 rounds auction and then the rest of the draft is normal reverse standings. I much prefer the auction part, but we haven't been able to get everyone to agree on making the whole thing auction, so you end up having people spend $155 of their $200 auction budget on a top RB and then filling out their roster later. It's worth noting that those people don't win often.

Dave

Staff member
I've never been partial to the auction draft. Too many people shoot their wads too early and end up with a killer RB or WR and nothing else while others don't get anyone really good and have an entire roster full of mediocrity.

I'm interested in the podcasts that he was talking about, though.

It's the BS Report with Bill Simmons is the one I recall first off the top of my head.

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

I've never been partial to the auction draft. Too many people shoot their wads too early and end up with a killer RB or WR and nothing else while others don't get anyone really good and have an entire roster full of mediocrity.

I'm interested in the podcasts that he was talking about, though.
I don't like the draft format since it can seem like the first two or even three rounds are on autopilot. The auction can be a lot more interesting and more strategic. Drafts would be better for something like a forum league where half of the people don't know what the fuck they're doing. Also, auctions are not very flexible on having people no-show

Dave

Staff member
How do you feel about leagues where anyone can pick any player and can only make 1 move a week? So Team A could have Peterson and Felix Jones with Peyton as the QB while Team B could have Peterson & Chris Johnson with Brees as QB.

Then if a guy got hurt you could make 1 move. You still have a max of 8 players on your roster and all 8 start.

What do you think of that format? Or, what do you think is the BEST format? And what kind of scoring do you like?

I like Salary Cap Football a lot. I really don't know which is the best. I've never done an auction before, but on paper, in my head, I think it's better than a draft.

In general, I think leagues where only one person can own a player are better. It's hard for me to pin down a definitive best when I like goofing around with so many different varieties every year.

J

Jonzac

I'd pick Rivers..not only as a Chargers fan, but you can expect he will be involved in most of the team scores. Same with Gates as a go to goalline receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.