Export thread

Fedora 12 comes out tomorrow! Now with optional LXDE!

YAOMTC

Just thought I'd mention, the Linux-based operating system Fedora is having its 12th version release tomorrow. Whether you've used Linux before, currently use it, or are just curious, I highly recommend you check this out.

What's special about this release? Well, this is the first time an official "spin" is offered for LXDE, the Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment. This is perfect for not only older machines, but also the many netbooks and ultraportables entering the market today, like my Eee PC 900. It runs really fast and smooth, and I've never seen a graphical file manager open as fast as PCManFM. Not even Thunar can match its speed.

Fedora defaults to GNOME (still), and you can get the KDE version from here, but currently the beta (all that's available until tomorrow) for XFCE and LXDE are only available via BitTorrent here. We'll see if they offer direct downloads of these spins, but given the XFCE spins have been around since Fedora 8, and still no direct download is available, this seems doubtful.

If you'd like to, you can use the Live USB option. This way you don't have to waste a CD-R, and you have the ability of testing it out before making any installation decisions.

Once tomorrow comes around, anyway.

Ross

Ross

I'll take a look into it when I get the time... I'm gonna re-format my old PC and throw on a XP/LINUX dualboot and didn't know which LINUX build would work the best (I tried a dualboot with Ubuntu once, but my computer was having issues completing the install).

Iaculus

Me, I prefer the 1.0 version.

Seriously, fedoras are sweet hats.

Cuyval Dar

This.

YAOMTC

Why don't you buy one, then?

I personally can vouch for the quality of my Country Gentleman hat that I've bought from this site. Some of the best ~$25 I've spent. (I got the "Drizzler" in black.)

Iaculus

Why don't you buy one, then?

I personally can vouch for the quality of my Country Gentleman hat that I've bought from this site. Some of the best ~$25 I've spent. (I got the "Drizzler" in black.)[/quote]

Buy one? Dude, I got one.

Has served me well indeed.

YAOMTC

That is indeed one sweet hat you've got there. :hat: