Export thread

Finland sees what you mailed there.

strawman

strawman

http://www.popsci.com/technology/ar...-open-scan-and-electronically-send-snail-mail

Pilot program. Essentially open the mail, scan it in, and have the recipient get their snail mail online as a PDF.

No need to deliver mail to the house any more, which saves a tremendous amount of money.

Privacy advocates are crying foul, of course, but I think it's not a bad idea.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Oh god... Now even my technologically inept grandmother can spam me.

Espy

Espy

Nononononononononononononononono. I don't need 18 thousand pieces of junk mail scanned and emailed to me every day.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

How do you send cash for Turnip Day now?

Jay

Jay

People still use snail mail?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

People still use snail mail?
I broke out my fountain pen and wrote a chain letter last week.

Jay

Jay

:/

Null

Null

I do mail letters now and then to friends. International postage has a LOT of rules.

Jay

Jay

I'm pretty sure Finland isn't planning to PDF your packages.

figmentPez

figmentPez

What will my grandmother's cookies taste like in PDF form?

Null

Null

That would take up a hell of a lot of file space. Or one of those lasers from Tron.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

That plan makes me feel like a Luddite. I don't see the cost savings of doing that. It sounds like it will take many more sorters and scanners to pull that off. Then the start up cost to have a server farm that can handle all the mail that would go out in a nation.

Then they email your love letters to the wrong person...

Chibibar

so everyone in Finland will have a national email account? Sounds like a marketer's dream!

strawman

strawman

The main cost savings comes from getting rid of door to door mail delivery, and that is fairly significant.

makare

I like receiving actual mail. I would hate this.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

so everyone in Finland will have a national email account? Sounds like a marketer's dream!
No, we don't.

Personally, I don't see the point in this. I actually like having important letters in their current snail mail form; something tangible, something verifiable, if you know what I mean. Personal letters, too... but I don't get those much these days.

Itella has been promoting this new feature quite a lot, though... I drive about 2,5 hours every day, and I hear the same ad about it at least three or four times while on the road.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Personally, I don't see the point in this.
You can check your mail without needing to put on pants.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

You can check your mail without needing to put on pants.
And that is different from my current modus operandi how?