[Question] Flash plug-in for Chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chrome has a built-in, automatically updated Adobe Flash player. No maintenance required. Neat.

However, I now get a message bar on every page I open (that has flash content - including all pages with banners so...Pretty much any page at all) saying the Flash plug-in is outdated and needs to be updated.

When I follow the link they provide (etc) they explicitly state NOT to install the flash plug-in with Chrome, but to just update Chrome. My Chrome updater says it's up-to-date, though.

So now I'm wondering....Uninstall and reinstall Chrome? Just download and install the Flash player for Chromium? I don't think I'll be destroying my pc one way or another, but anyone care to say which would be best?

You can wait until Chrome provides an update (frequently),
OR you can disable the built-in "Pepper" player and just use the one provided by Adobe. As a side-effect, you will probably get better Flash video playback (less stuttering) but you will need to remember to apply your own updates.

--Patrick

I have yet to understand why people like Chrome... but that's just my opinion.
I'm starting to lean further and further in the direction of dumping Chrome. It used to be a better browser than Firefox, when Firefox had all of their memory leak issues, but now Chrome is just as much of a memory hog as FF and has the added benefit of being completely useless when you want to run most XML scripts (which I've tested with no problems at all in both Firefox and <gasp> IE).

I'm starting to lean further and further in the direction of dumping Chrome. It used to be a better browser than Firefox, when Firefox had all of their memory leak issues, but now Chrome is just as much of a memory hog as FF and has the added benefit of being completely useless when you want to run most XML scripts (which I've tested with no problems at all in both Firefox and <gasp> IE).
IE10 is nice isn't it?

I use Chrome still primarily because it has the best multiplatform syncing. It maintains a list of open tabs for each device you have logged in to your Google account, and you can fetch pages from that list on any device. Also, unlike Safari's similar implementation, this is quickly accessed from any new tab, and actually syncs quickly (near instantaneous). I run chrome on my iPad and iPhone, two Linux laptops, and my Windows Desktop. Being able to have the same environment across the desktops is great (extensions on mobile chrome would be excellent, but I don't see that happening any time soon).

I'm using a derivative of Chromium - SRWare Iron - much more security focused than Google Chrome - here's a comparison of Chrome vs Iron.

Heck, I'm even not being tracked by Google for searching anymore - I'm using StartPage (which is enhanced with Google's search responses). Startpage, and its sister search engine Ixquick, are the only third-party certified search engines in the world that do not record your IP address or track your searches.

Iron? Ooo...
Main reason I wasn't using Chrome is because it has to tattle on everything I do back to Google.
Iron will let me put off getting my adblocking proxy set up.

--Patrick

Iron? Ooo...
Main reason I wasn't using Chrome is because it has to tattle on everything I do back to Google.
Iron will let me put off getting my adblocking proxy set up.

--Patrick
You can even install the extensions from Google's site into it if you use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.