Flatbed scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good flatbed scanner that plays nicely with Windows 7? Not absolutely necessary, but it would be nice if it could handle slides.

What is the usage? Are you looking for accurate colors, speed, software that does PDF or OCR, duplex scanning, auto sheet feeder, etc...?

If you don't have any specific needs, then nearly any generic scanner will work.

Basically, it's mostly for scanning old family photos (with slides being a bonus.) I've already tried one scanner -- EPSON's V300 -- and found that it wouldn't work with Windows 7. I'm trying to avoid getting another scanner and finding out that it isn't compatible / is total crap. On sale after Christmas would be a bonus as well.

The V300 is supposed to work with Win7. Did you try downloading the drivers from Epson?
First place I went actually. When I followed the exact error message, I found a number of stories about "won't work with Windows 7, tried installing the new driver, still did not work, here is a hinky solution that might work, but I couldn't get it to work, etc." Since this isn't a system that is normally local to me, I returned the scanner.

HP Scanjet G4050 L1957A

-High DPI means you can enlarge 35mm image to 8.5x11 at 300dpi without getting blocky*.
-Reasonable price (under $200).
-Comes with the 35mm/slide adapters.
-CCD sensor means high image quality.

Reviews all say the included software sucks, though newer updates may have fixed that (don't use the XP software on Vista, for instance).

--Patrick
*In order to print full-size 8x10 prints of 35mm film, you have to scan at a minimum of 2400dpi.

Status
Not open for further replies.