Export thread

Food, science geekery, and bacon!

Laurelai

I was randomly looking for an image of animal fat, and I stumbled across this article. It was an interesting read! If I ever get any decent amount of the duck fat (which really isn't that hard) I may just give one a try.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...images?q=%22animal+fat%22&hl=en&lr=&sa=G&um=1

holy spelling errors Batman!

Armadillo

I'm in a food science program at a major university. I can get you animal fat. :D

Laurelai

lol I have images of Fight Club dancing through my mind!

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Really nice! I liked this a lot. Right up my alley! I'm a big Alton Brown fan and I love this stuff, and yes, baconaise sounds totally delicious!

You might want to take a look at this!
http://www.baconsalt.com/

strawman

strawman

BEEF!

Eriol

Eriol

I'm sorely tempted to make the baconnaise. I'm drooling right now.

Chazwozel

Here you go:
mmm triglycerides.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Chazwozel

Cajungal

Cajungal

I don't like whole mayonnaise that much. It would probably be too heavy for me.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I don't really like it if I can taste it, if that makes any sense.

When I make sandwiches or tuna/chicken salad, I use it mainly for some added moisture, not necessarily flavor. I usually dress it up by adding garlic/chipotles/salt and pepper/etc to give it some nice taste. On it's own, I don't care for it.

I've also added it to cake mix to make it more moist. It works.

Cajungal

Cajungal

^I can see that. If real mayo is dripping out of a sandwich, there's no way i can eat that sandwich. But it can also be good in other things.

That "why you're fat" site is such a pick-me-up. No matter how badly I eat some days, I've never gone that far.

figmentPez

figmentPez

PatrThom

PatrThom

Heh. My wife (a foodie™) pointed out this article to me a few days ago. It is intriguing. After all, if you can make jam out of bacon, why not mayonnaise?

--Patrick

strawman

strawman

Heh. My wife (a foodie™) pointed out this article to me a few days ago. It is intriguing. After all, if you can make jam out of bacon, why not mayonnaise?

--Patrick
You can make jam out of bacon?!?

Laurelai

I'm not a big mayo fan either. I use it for a binding in salads like tuna and chicken (with the tuna, but enough to make it moist), but there are 2 sandwiches that I must have mayo with:
1) BLT (omg soooo divine)
2) Turkey sandwich made with leftover Thanksgiving turkey.
om nom nom nom nom

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

2) Turkey sandwich made with leftover Thanksgiving turkey.
om nom nom nom nom
Do you add or make stuffing/dressing sammiches with the turkey? That's om nom nomly good.

Soliloquy

Food, science geekery, and bacon!
And here I was thinking this thread was about this:

Bacon: the Other White Heat

PatrThom

PatrThom

And here I was thinking this thread was about this:

Bacon: the Other White Heat
That's what I thought when I saw it, too!

--Patrick

rabbitgod

--Patrick
You can make jam out of bacon?!?[/QUOTE]

You can make jam out of almost anything.

Colonial Virginians made jam out of pigs feet.

PatrThom

PatrThom

You can make jam out of bacon?!?[/QUOTE]You can make jam out of almost anything. Colonial Virginians made jam out of pigs feet.[/QUOTE]Heck, you can even make lollipops out of bacon. And peanut butter-and-bacon sandwiches are a part of a [STRIKE]balanced[/STRIKE] nutritious breakfast (or lunch, dinner, or midnight snack).

--Patrick