[Music] Frank Ocean's "Channel Orange" is probably the album of the year??

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't half-ironic or tongue-in-cheek like my exploits with "Call Me Maybe". This album is really stunning and awesomely good. I usually kind of scoff at Pitchfork, but they posted a really good and glowing review of it. That isn't why I like it, I'm really not some music hipster to cut that off before you say it. I really like a lot of shitty music.

HOWEVER, I also like this, and think it's really great and smart hip hop / R&B / whatever you want to call the genre it is, since it covers a lot of ground. My dumb tagline-esque thing would be that it's definitely worth it to find out that there's more to Frank Ocean than his great chorus on "No Church in the Wild". He's a really talented songwriter who was responsible for quite a few hits before this sung by other people.

Also, knowing me, I would be remiss to not mention that he's out as a bisexual, which is kind of a big deal and not something seen too much, especially for a man. And this album has a couple unisex and also openly songs about being in love with another man. I don't have a link handy, but he also wrote a really brave letter a little while back about coming out with some of that stuff and his issues. I just think this is cool, and don't get me wrong and think this album is about gay rights or something like that.

It's just a really good, catchy, soulful, heartfelt album of songs. I think "Bad Religion" is the hit? It's hard for me to pick a favorite or least favorite though. I love the spoiled kid bashing of "Sweet Life" and "Super Rich Kids". But I love the ambiguity in lines like "why see the world when you have the beach?" Also from pure pop culture randomness, I really like "Forrest Gump", and it might be the best mixture of being really catchy, yet also really emotional, despite being a kind of bizarre love letter to a fictional character. And I don't think I can go without mentioning "Pyramids". It's a 10-minute song that just flies by and never feels like a long song or stretched out by any, hah, stretch. It also feels really epic and has really great imagery.

I also feel like I gotta mention the really good guest stars - Andre 3000 is great in "Pink Matter", John Mayer(?!?) has a good guitar noodly part in the short "White", and Earl Sweatshirt is a great part of "Super Rich Kids".

so that's my mini-review, I hope you listen to this and/or like it!

A little early to call album of the year, it is thoroughly better then most crap out right now. This style of RnB is going to blow up, probably (see The Weeknd).

Kinda still like Nostalgia.Ultra more, if only because it sounded so different at the time, maybe after a few more listens Orange will grow on me the same way.

Definitely never would have thought the OFWGKTA crew would produce a mega talented bisexual RnB star. Books, judge, all that shit I guess.

I hadn't heard of this guy before, and after checking out some of his work, he's definitely someone to take notice of. I'll have to listen to more of his stuff when I get the chance.

As for him coming out as bi, that's a really brave thing to do for an R&B artist, and pretty cool thing for him to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.