Export thread

Fucking viruses!

Matt²

Heads up, folks.. there's a virus out there (it's running amok on my machines at work, just got them cleaned) that ISN'T being detected - yet. It's slipped past Avast pro, Malwarebytes AND Nod32. It is installing rootkits that redoes itself on reboot. I finally got it cleaned out with CCleaner, Hitman Pro 3.5, a reinstall of MWB, and Autoruns to physically look into the dlls it's putting in. (damn. forgot to write down the name of it before deleting it, but in Autoruns it was in the Internet Explorer tab, and came up as a search toolbar, which I have none of, and there was a "tob3" or similar to the name)

I had to (saved my bookmarks first) uninstall Firefox and reinstall because it kept browser hijacking; once I got the temp files cleaned out and physically removed the dll's in Autoruns, the Internet Explorer was clean again.

One of the toolbars it would "install" was a fake Bing search toolbar in IE and Firefox. Facebook was being immediately hacked and trying to make posts for me as well as redirect me elsewhere.

Just be aware that if you run into this, you keep scanning with your antivirus progs and Malwarebytes and it STILL keeps coming up, you can follow the above for some quicker steps than my 4 hour chase. Be careful out there!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Baerdog

Baerdog

Thanks for the heads up. Is it bad that the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title was "fuckin' viruses, how do they work?"

Vagabond would be so proud.