Export thread

Gary Coleman Has Died. (was critical condition)

Dave

Dave

This is going to be the worst, meanest joke I say all day and I truly apologize ahead of time.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2010/05/27/gary-coleman-critical-condition-fall-home/

Gary Coleman is in critical condition after a fall. He's so tiny! How far a fall would that even have BEEN?!?

I'm sorry and hope he's going to be okay.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Gary Coleman in Critical Condition

Watchu talkin bout, Dave?

Null

Null

I kind of want to make a joke about it, but I honestly do not care enough.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Perhaps he had a different stroke.

Philosopher B.

That's the guy they parodied in Avenue Q, right?

Dave

Dave

Knew I shouldn't have made the joke.

He died.

Element 117

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20389492,00.html

Gary Coleman

Jamie McCarthy/WireImage

Gary Coleman, who by age 11 had skyrocketed to become TV's brightest star but as an adult could never quite land on solid footing, has died after suffering a brain hemorrhage. He was 42.
Coleman had been in a coma on life support in a Utah hospital, where he was admitted after falling at home, his manager had manager told PEOPLE.

Precocious Child

Despite congenital health problems which led to his never growing taller than 4'8," Coleman experienced a towering achievement at the start of his career.
As Arnold Jackson, the plucky Harlem boy adopted into a wealthy white household on Diff'rent Strokes from 1978-86 – with his much-mimicked catchphrase of, "What'choo talkin' 'bout, Willis?" – Coleman was pulling down as much as $100,000 per episode, though it was later reported that three-quarters of ended up being shelled out to his parents, advisers, lawyers and the IRS.

At the pinnacle of his fame in 1979 PEOPLE reported that Coleman had grown up in Zion, Ill., north of Chicago, with nephritis, a potentially fatal kidney defect.

He underwent two transplants before the age of 14. At one stage in his life, he underwent dialysis four times a day in order to survive.

"The reason I survived is that I had a kidney that wouldn't give up," he once said. "Now I got a Greek kidney donated from a kid who was hit by a car."

"His talent," said his mother, Sue, "may be God's way of compensating him for what he's been through, and the fact that he'll never have the physical size of other boys."

Coleman's father, Willie, worked for a pharmaceutical company near Chicago, where Gary started modeling at age 5 after he wrote a brazen pitch letter to Montgomery Ward. (He could read at 3½.)

That led to commercials for McDonald's and Hallmark cards before producer Norman Lear cast him in a pilot remake of The Little Rascals, which didn't get picked up, en route to Diff'rent Strokes.

Troubled Lives

As has been chronicled, the three children on the series grew up into troubled lives. Dana Plato, 34, died of a drug overdose in 1999. (Plato's son, Tyler Lambert, never came to terms with his mother's death, and committed suicide on May 6, 2010. He was 25.)
The show's Willis, actor Todd Bridges, now 45, was first arrested in 1994 after allegedly ramming someone's car during an argument, He also has owned up to serious drug habit, which he struggled to beat.

By 1999, Coleman also faced troubles of his own. Long gone from Diff'rent Strokes, he had gone broke. His string of misadventures and humiliations included a bitter lawsuit that fractured his family, reports of erratic behavior (his father claimed Gary tried to run him over with a car during an argument in 1986) and a stint in 1998 as a security guard on a movie set.

All told, Coleman had amassed and lost an estimated $18 million fortune. Although he argued that his parents had a huge role in dissipating his wealth, he makes no apologies for having spent like a star. "I have lifestyle requirements," he said at the time. "Photos, meetings, lunches, dinners, facial care, tooth care. It requires an exorbitant amount of money."

Also in 1999, Coleman pleaded no contest to disturbing the peace after he punched a female autograph-seeker in California, for which he claimed self-defense. The previous year, he was again in the headlines, after allegedly hitting a pedestrian with his truck after arguing with him in a Salt Lake City bowling alley. In 2007, there was an incident involving a public argument with a female companion.

Married at 40

Shannon and Gary Coleman

Inside Edition

At times, there appeared to be turnarounds in his fortunes. In February 2008 – at the age of 40 – Coleman married for the first time. He'd met his bride, Shannon Price, on a movie set the previous August. She was 22.
Coleman admitted that Price was the first woman in his life. "I never got the opportunity to be romantic or feel romantic with anyone," he said. "I wasn't saving myself, she just happened to be the one.

Their relationship, they both admitted, was often rocky. "We may go a week and not speak to each other," he said, while she claimed, "He lets his anger conquer him sometimes … He throws things around, and sometimes he throws it in my direction." Still, they remained together, and Price survives him.

In recent months, Coleman suffered a series of medical problems. He had been admitted to hospitals three times this year: in January, for reasons that were not disclosed; in February, when he suffered a seizure on the set of TV's The Insider; and again on May 26.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

God-speed, little big man. You're making God laugh now.

Matt²

:*(

Roxxoredizorz

TOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

Matt²

I really wanted to see his career revive. I liked him as a person even though I never had a chance to meet him, not just an actor. I wanted good things for him, and I will miss him greatly.

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

You know, I miss the days where I didn't know who celebrities were and never knew of them dying.

Still not over Rodney Dangerfield...

Matt²

nostalgic... and yet.. a little eerie now...

Chazwozel

You know, I miss the days where I didn't know who celebrities were and never knew of them dying.

doom, I like you man, but that sentiment annoys me. Rodney Dangerfield didn't know you, and sure as hell wouldn't give a crap if you died. Why people give two shits about celebrities dying is beyond me. They're people; people die. Someone dies every 3 minutes. Why aren't we mourning that person? It's like celebrities are treated as if they're super-human or something and it annoys the hell out of me.

When a celebrity dies, I shrug my shoulders and go 'meh, that's a shame' and move on.

Chazwozel

Inevitably in a thread about some celebrity's death, someone will chime in with "I never knew him, so I don't care." Nothing wrong with that point of view, although I could live without those posts.
http://www.halforums.com/forum/showthread.php?9157-Famous-people-whose-deaths-affected-you[/QUOTE]

Now if you excuse me, I have to go back to not giving two shits about some guy I saw in a movie once.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Poor guy. I'm seeing Avenue Q in a couple of weeks. Gonna be a little strange.

crono1224

doom, I like you man, but that sentiment annoys me. Rodney Dangerfield didn't know you, and sure as hell wouldn't give a crap if you died. Why people give two shits about celebrities dying is beyond me. They're people; people die. Someone dies every 3 minutes. Why aren't we mourning that person? It's like celebrities are treated as if they're super-human or something and it annoys the hell out of me.

When a celebrity dies, I shrug my shoulders and go 'meh, that's a shame' and move on.[/QUOTE]

I would agree except if you love the work the put out, obviously if you are a big fan of them its going to be saddening that you won't be able to experience any more of their work. Also by your definition people who didn't know JFK or MLK shouldn't have been upset by their death, I mean less you knew them personally.

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

When a celebrity dies, I shrug my shoulders and go 'meh, that's a shame' and move on.[/QUOTE]

Or, maybe I lament the lack of new material coming out from a favorite comedic artist.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I don't think people "mourn" the famous people they've admired in the same way they mourn a loved one. I mean, of course people die every day. You can't expect to feel something for every person who dies. That would be miserable. But we care about the people who touch us, and writers, actors, artists, etc. touch us. They didn't have us in mind while they were creating. They were probably doing it for themselves or their loved ones, or for a movement. We didn't have the same kind of relationship with them, but what they created makes up a small part of ourselves, so it's natural to feel some pain.

When I heard Shirley Horn had died I was very sad. I mean... really I was fine. I functioned perfectly well that day, the next day, and the day after that. I didn't cry like I do with real family and friends. It's a different kind of pain, but it is real pain, even if I never knew her, because hearing her music made me a slightly different person than if I'd never picked up You Won't Forget Me years and years ago.

---------- Post added at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

(That said, I don't feel that way about every famous person who made or was part of something I enjoy. But I can understand the feeling of sadness, because I've experienced it a few times.)

Chazwozel

I would agree except if you love the work the put out, obviously if you are a big fan of them its going to be saddening that you won't be able to experience any more of their work. Also by your definition people who didn't know JFK or MLK shouldn't have been upset by their death, I mean less you knew them personally.[/QUOTE]

JFK and MLK did a lot more for individuals than actors like Gary Coleman, Lady Gaga, or Tom Cruise ever will...

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

I don't think people "mourn" the famous people they've admired in the same way they mourn a loved one. I mean, of course people die every day. You can't expect to feel something for every person who dies. That would be miserable. But we care about the people who touch us, and writers, actors, artists, etc. touch us. They didn't have us in mind while they were creating. They were probably doing it for themselves or their loved ones, or for a movement. We didn't have the same kind of relationship with them, but what they created makes up a small part of ourselves, so it's natural to feel some pain.

When I heard Shirley Horn had died I was very sad. I mean... really I was fine. I functioned perfectly well that day, the next day, and the day after that. I didn't cry like I do with real family and friends. It's a different kind of pain, but it is real pain, even if I never knew her, because hearing her music made me a slightly different person than if I'd never picked up You Won't Forget Me years and years ago.

---------- Post added at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

(That said, I don't feel that way about every famous person who made or was part of something I enjoy. But I can understand the feeling of sadness, because I've experienced it a few times.)
I think people get upset over celebrity deaths because they have to come to grips with their own mortality. I'm pretty sure this is the main reason.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

It does not help when the celebrity is your age or younger.

Cajungal

Cajungal

That's definitely part of it. Deaths in general reminds me of that, but when people who are made to be larger than life die, it definitely gets you thinking.

crono1224

I would agree except if you love the work the put out, obviously if you are a big fan of them its going to be saddening that you won't be able to experience any more of their work. Also by your definition people who didn't know JFK or MLK shouldn't have been upset by their death, I mean less you knew them personally.[/QUOTE]

JFK and MLK did a lot more for individuals than actors like Gary Coleman, Lady Gaga, or Tom Cruise ever will...[/QUOTE]

My point was just where do you draw the line, I mean if a directors films or musicians music greatly effect your lives do you not have the right to feel saddened that they are gone?

Matt²

I'm starting to wonder if Shannon Price didn't perhaps have a role in Gary's death?

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b18..._medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=imdb_topstories

This sounds just a little too suspicious to me...

Baerdog

Baerdog

Damn she is a goofy looking woman.

Element 117

Damn she is a goofy looking woman.

Null

Null

No one ever suspects Shannen Doherty.

Matt²

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100611...DeW5***VhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDZ2FyeWNvbGVtYW5z

She's trying to get control of his estate.. anyone but me feel like she's grubbing for something?