Export thread

God Speed, Major Winters.

Dave

Dave

There are times when people announce the passing of famous people here. Usually the reactions rage from saddened to ennui. For the second time I'm announcing the death of someone who is not only a hero, but someone who epitomizes the American spirit.

Major Dick Winters has passed away at the age of 92.

He actually died January 2, but the family wanted to wait until after the service to make the announcement. For those of you who do not know, Major Winters was the leader of Easy Company, immortalized in the mini-series "Band of Brothers". An unknown person, the books and subsequent movie catapulted he and his men into the limelight, which they handled with grace, elegance and an honest humbleness never seen these days.

It's not often that an announcement of someone passing having an effect on me, especially when I don't know them personally. But this one hit me.

God speed, Major Winters. May you finally have the rest you have so surely earned.

Krisken

Krisken

Indeed. He's the man. Rest well, sir. You earned it.

Dave

Dave

Read the comments. You'll be amazed.

Krisken

Krisken

Wow. A public internet site with nothing but thanks and kind words. Fantastic. I didn't know the internet could amaze me.

Jay

Jay

I gotta rewatch band of brothers.

RIP Major Winters

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

God speed, sir. Go with the best wishes of a grateful nation.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Kunniaa, sir.

*salutes*

Now if you'll excuse me, there's a Band of Brothers DVD box that demands being watched, right now.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

When a leader is that well respected and admired by his soldiers it speaks volumes about his character, and that of his parents.

Jiarn

-salute-

-resists urge to make a Major Dick joke-

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

*salute* Rest in Peace, sir. A finer leader of men you would be hard-pressed to find.

Wasabi Poptart

Fair winds and following seas, Major.

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

Rest in peace Major Winters, I hope your live was one well lived.

Docseverin

Docseverin

To have served your Nation when she called, next to the greatest men you will ever know. No better life has been lived.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I read his wikipedia profile, wow, just wow.

13 unarmed men (well there were a few knives, a few pistols and Tommy guns) assaulted 50 men guarding howitzers, and captured the plans to the Utah Beach defenses.