Got an Interesting One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zappit

Staff member
I just got a new monitor today, got it set up, etc...looks great. Here's the thing. The display messes up a bit. My HP Advisor bar is half off the screen, and when my computer wakes up from sleep mode, the shortcut icons and the bar have shifted to the far left - off the screen. The Start button vanishes, too.

I'm not sure how to fix this, despite my best efforts. The monitor's drivers are up to date, so that's not it. It only happens when it wakes up from sleep mode, forcing me to restart the computer to fix the issue.
Any help would be most appreciated.

I just got a new monitor today, got it set up, etc...looks great. Here's the thing. The display messes up a bit. My HP Advisor bar is half off the screen, and when my computer wakes up from sleep mode, the shortcut icons and the bar have shifted to the far left - off the screen. The Start button vanishes, too.

I'm not sure how to fix this, despite my best efforts. The monitor's drivers are up to date, so that's not it. It only happens when it wakes up from sleep mode, forcing me to restart the computer to fix the issue.
Any help would be most appreciated.
You forgot to light the PatrThom Batsignal :-p

Try a different connection method. See if DVI, or HDMI, or VGA give you a different result.

Switch out the video cables - could be a cable or connector problem.

Also your monitor menu system should have a reset to defaults function - give that a try.

Consider completely uninstalling your video drivers, including all your preferences and user profile settings related to the video driver, and reinstall.

Try the monitor with other devices and see if it's a problem with the monitor or your system.

Zappit

Staff member
Never mind. Fixed it. Apparently, when I installed the monitor, I hooked up both cables that came with it, which set it to dual screens by default. I took out one, turned off extended, and that was it. HP - you gotta include that info with the instructions. You don't get that with the picture-only guide.

I had never considered that, but if a monitor came wi two video cables and a power cable, and there were spots on the back of the computer for both cables, a reasonable person would probably hook both up.

Yet another thing to add to my internal troubleshooting list.

Zappit

Staff member
Yep. I had spots for two cables, which matched the instruction sheet. Not a word about what happens if both are connected. I just got lucky during yet another search for answers. It was literally the exact problem with the exact solution, which is just so rare for Google-fueled tech support.

Did both monitor cables connect to somewhere on the computer?
Most modern monitors come with multiple cables, HDMI, VGA or DVI, and a lot of video cards have multiple outputs for different cables, or for multiple monitors.

Most modern monitors come with multiple cables, HDMI, VGA or DVI, and a lot of video cards have multiple outputs for different cables, or for multiple monitors.
I know, I was wondering if both cables coming out of the monitor were connected to the computer. Computer would detect two cables and output to two screens, sometimes using both screens for one desktop, sometimes with the same desktop twinned on each monitor, and the monitor would detect two inputs and have each image sent to its own channel. Then you could see if input 1 was the same screen as input 2, or if they were different, then you know that the computer was outputting one desktop over two screens.

I know, I was wondering if both cables coming out of the monitor were connected to the computer. Computer would detect two cables and output to two screens, sometimes using both screens for one desktop, sometimes with the same desktop twinned on each monitor, and the monitor would detect two inputs and have each image sent to its own channel. Then you could see if input 1 was the same screen as input 2, or if they were different, then you know that the computer was outputting one desktop over two screens.
Yeah, that's what was happening, unless I misread his posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.