[TV] Gotham

I leave for several months and no one takes the time to start an ongoing Gotham thread?

Maybe it's not a crowd favorite, but I'm enjoying the series. What I especially enjoy about it is the different angle it took in the super-hero genre. It's a cop show. That may be a con for some people, but for me I think it's a fresh perspective into the very over-saturated world of Batman. It interweaves the stories of these characters pretty efficiently and with some pretty damn fine performances.

I think that a hang-up someone might have on this show is that it's basically pre-Batman. That by giving us a backstory on all of these villains we basically make them less interesting because we know that Jim Gordon took on all these guys before the Batman, which makes Batman himself kind of dull.
I think I'm seeing it differently here. This isn't about Batman. Bruce Wayne is just a recurring character. As far as I'm convinced that Bruce Wayne will never become Batman. This is some completely different spin on the entire story, and basically anything could happen.
I'm actually wondering if the season finale will conclude with Bruce Wayne's death: just to really make it clear that this series doesn't have to play by a set of rules.

There are a lot of great moments in this series for me so far, but I think this one is one of my personal favorites.
Oswald Cobblepot and Edward Nygma meeting for the first time.

Every problem Gotham has could have been fixed if they had just gone ahead and made a Gotham Central tv show. Instead they're trying to have it both ways and getting none. If you're going to make your own thing do it, if you going to make a prequel series (ugh) do it. Instead it's wishy-washy and ultimately pointless, adding nothing for Batman fans and being to bogged down with tying to reference the mythos to be an original show.

There's also far better Super-hero shows on TV that I can watch instead.

I, and I suspect a large portion of people, am suffering from Batman fatigue.

I honestly don't want to see, hear, or read anything else that has to do with Gotham, Bruce Wayne, or any of his rogue's gallery.

Every problem Gotham has could have been fixed if they had just gone ahead and made a Gotham Central tv show. Instead they're trying to have it both ways and getting none. If you're going to make your own thing do it, if you going to make a prequel series (ugh) do it. Instead it's wishy-washy and ultimately pointless, adding nothing for Batman fans and being to bogged down with tying to reference the mythos to be an original show.

There's also far better Super-hero shows on TV that I can watch instead.
I don't see it as a pre-quel show though. I don't believe that this series should be tied into any other Batman specific show. It's independent. Basically a reboot that gives us something a bit unique.

I'm only 3 episodes in, but I do quite like it so far. It doesn't really scream "Batman" to me, and I don't feel all that saturated with Batman stuff as some - but I have the impression much of that comes from comics and cartoons, which I don't follow :p
So far, and comparing it only to the first season of Arrow, I have to say that it doesn't really come off that badly. Less teen drama and less unlikable characters.

I'm only 3 episodes in, but I do quite like it so far. It doesn't really scream "Batman" to me, and I don't feel all that saturated with Batman stuff as some - but I have the impression much of that comes from comics and cartoons, which I don't follow :p
So far, and comparing it only to the first season of Arrow, I have to say that it doesn't really come off that badly. Less teen drama and less unlikable characters.
I think you'll really start to enjoy it once you separate it from any Batman mythos you know (aside from the names I don't think they are using the comics for inspiration much). You'll catch a few "OOOHHH" moments because you know who becomes who later... but I think that's about as far as the connections go. It's what makes the scene I linked above so great. You know who they are, and therefore you know the hilarity of that moment.

Nygma himself is great. He's a good guy from the start and working for the Police, but you can watch him slowly get more and more frustrated with his genius being under appreciated.

Last edited:
So the best quality of the show is that it has nothing to do with what it's trying to draw people in with? Yeah still pass.