Export thread

Gratuitous thread, please indulge me.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Here's the thing...

This Friday is both the very first time I teach a lesson to a classroom ALONE and the very first time I perform in front of people at an actual gig. And I'm kinda shaking in my boots about both even though I've prepared.

Any good vibes, prayers, or well-wishes would be appreciated. And please use this space to report things that are coming up for you that you'd like us to wish you luck on.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

good luck! The gig will be over before you know it...and then it just gets easier :)

Cajungal

Cajungal

That's what the little hermano tells me. He's been giggin since he was 17, so this is no big thing for him. Me? I haven't sung in public since 2003. :confused: And that was in a group. I was just one of 12 altos.

Also, thanks. ^_^ That's comforting coming from another one who knows from experience!

Kitty Sinatra

*indulges Ceej*

ThatNickGuy

As someone who hopes to be a teacher, himself, I wish you nothing but the largest amount of luck I can muster!

You can totally do it, you whacky cajun!

Cajungal

Cajungal

:D Thank you! What kind of teacher do you wanna be, Nick?

fade

fade

Remember, you know more than they do. Don't be afraid to let them know it. Students will run with any rope you give them, even if they're nice or don't mean to. So don't give them any!

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

It's gonna be so much fun. :D

ThatNickGuy

:D Thank you! What kind of teacher do you wanna be, Nick?
Elementary, my dear Cajun, Elementary! I'm a big kid and I love being around kids, so it seems like a natural fit.

Philosopher B.

Imagine everyone at the gig naked. What could go wrong.

RealBigNuke

Knock 'em dead!

Well, not really. Unless they start getting all uppity, of course.

But still, good luck!

Espy

Espy

Congrats! Have a ton of fun CG! You are gonna rock it!

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

Yay CJ. Gratz.
:D
You don't need luck, you'll do great.
:clap:
And then we'll all have drinks afterwards.
:falldown:
I should probably go do a pre-emptive bump of the ole drunk thread since I'm working on a bottle of 151.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great on both. just make sure to do the right thing at the right time - while your students will probably appreciate your singing and music, I doubt if your audience will be interested in your lecture ;-)

Cajungal

Cajungal

:rofl:

Thank you, everyone.

General Specific

General Specific

I was gonna find a youtube video of a bunch of people saying, "I believe in you!" but then got distracted by The Darkness

I believe in you, Cajungal!

Wasabi Poptart

You'll do great! Have fun with the gig.

On another note:

Imagine everyone at the gig naked. What could go wrong.

OMG it's JEFF! *squee!*

bhamv3

bhamv3

Hylian

Hylian

luck :thumbsup:

Twitch

It's actually really easy after you realize what Fade said is true.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Break a leg! Preferably someone else's ;)

ThatNickGuy

Break a leg! Preferably someone else's ;)
Wait. Are we talking about Cajun or Shego here?

Hylian

Hylian

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Best of luck! I bet you'll be great!

Just... don't kick anybody...

I mean, both as a teacher and as a singer, you can inflict them pain in much more refined ways! Xp

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

My first gig was performing in front of the Houston Association of Acoustic Musicians, so I was doubly nervous...not just performing on a stage, but in front of other musicians. And nobody can pick your work apart like a pro who's already been there and done that.

The week leading up to the performance was nerve-wracking.
The hour leading up to the performance, while we were in the venue but not yet on stage, was even more so. I probably sweated a lifetime of bullets in that hour.

Then, the 2 hour gig itself flew by in an instant, and before I knew it, we were off stage and getting compliments and congratulations. And, unless you're one of those rare people who never get over stage fright, it gets easier every time you do it.

I'm sure you'll knock 'em dead! :D

Cajungal

Cajungal

Bhamv, that's awesome.

:D Thanks again, Tin... I'm feeling better now.

Actually I'm not as nervous about the gig itself now as I am about the people who are going to be there. It's going to be this big Christian affair. The film they're debuting is about avoiding the "bottomless pit of sin" or something like that. Maybe it won't be bad, but the more I talk to these guys, the more I'm afraid I might be in a show with some fire and brimstoners. If that turns out to be true, I'm going to just keep my mouth shut; I'm a guest and I'm not about to disrespect what they gathered for. I just didn't get that kind of vibe at first and now I'm blindsided.

Also, last minute set change, my brother made a good bass part for the RHCP song "Porcelain", and I'm singing it. Should be fun! :D

Gusto

Gusto

I've been radiating good vibes for the last few weeks already during your frenzied preparation, but hopefully a cold front coming from the north can carry them down to you in time.

Better pump out the GOOD good vibes from now on just to be safe.

*grimaces*

Cajungal

Cajungal

^_^ That's right, you knew about this before anybody. Well they must have all hit me yesterday, because I had an incredible practice with my brother. And I'm feelin mighty good today. Thanks for all the support and for reminding me not to freak.

Gusto

Gusto

*face is turning red*

Piotyr

Piotyr

Don't worry, they're likely just as scared of you as you are of them.

Wait, that's not very helpful...

Fun Size

Fun Size

Someone suggested the naked thing, but I think they got it wrong. I think you're supposed to imagine that they're all picturing you naked.

Or...or maybe you're supposed to be naked.

You know what, I think it's a good thing I got out of the theater back in high school. Let's just go with good luck.

Covar

Covar

Best of Luck to you on both.

Don't be afraid to be strict at first. In fact its recommended, since your first impression is what will stick with your students. Be a bit of a hardass and you can always lighten up later, but still have that [Strike]fear[/Strike]respect from your students. However, you can never go the other way. Once a pushover always a pushover.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I just finished making my materials for the lesson. We're reviewing words that end in "all." So I'm going to first review all the words with the class, then we're going to play a game. I've written out sentences that I'm going to put in the teacher's pocket board.

Then the kids are going to spell the words out with the foam letters at their desks. When they all have it, I'll choose one per sentence to come up and spell out the answer with the letters in the pocket board.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Best of luck! Hope both events go well!

General Specific

General Specific

Am I doin' it rite? :D

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

Now that the meds are kicking in, I'm reading the title of this thread as a plea by CajunGal for a gratuitous thread to indulge her. In what, I don't know...

Kitty Sinatra

I am short. Dad is dead :waah:

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Good luck. And, BTW, should you find an opportunity to surprise the young 'uns, do so. It helped a lot when I was doing my teacher training ;) Had some kids whispering to each other in class in Arabic (the school had a lot of immigrant students, and the neighbourhood' had a Muslim presence since the early 1990s); I turned around and said something like this: "Listen, I don't give a damn if you call me kalb ibn kalb (roughly meaning 'son of a bitch') behind my back, but let's focus, shall we?".

Got very little backtalk and whispering after that ;)

Cajungal

Cajungal

:rofl: I knew "drunk" would be in there somewhere.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Love that story, NR.

UPDATE! The lesson went well. They loved the game and were disappointed that they didn't all get to play. I told them I'd think of more fun word games. The teacher enjoyed it too, and my professor even watched. She gave me a little applause before she left. ^_^

The show was fun, but we ended up ducking out early. It got really awkward when the short film came on. It was documenting the mission of one of the men down here who holds signs during Mardi Gras about how they're all sinners. They come to Festival International too, telling us we shouldn't be drinking and dancing and enjoying our lives. When we realized it wasn't a parody, we decided that Jake had a flat tire and needed our help. They loved our songs, though. :) I made some mistakes, but otherwise I must say I kinda rocked.

Thanks for all the support!

Kitty Sinatra

*applauds*

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

glad to hear everything went as well as you could have hoped for :)

Cajungal

Cajungal

I'm happy my brother was there. Whenever I skipped a chord, he just kinda improvised on his bass until I got back to where we were supposed to be. Thank God for my safety net. ^_^

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Woot! Nice to hear the gig and the class went well =)

Say, have you considered taking the ukulele to class? ;)

Cajungal

Cajungal

Woot! Nice to hear the gig and the class went well =)

Say, have you considered taking the ukulele to class? ;)
Yep! I'm learning the state song to perform to the social studies class I'm teaching. And I'm considering using it in a word game, too, where they go around a circle of letters while I play music and stop when I stop playing. Then they each have to write out a word that starts with that letter or contains a certain vowel.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Cajungal

Cajungal

Awwww, Cheesy gets a gold star. ^_^

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

YAAAAAAY!!!! :clap: