Export thread

Grave of the Fireflies (or I Cried Like a Little Girl)

tegid

tegid

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095327/

So, I watched it a couple of days ago and I cried like I hadn't in years. Sobbed and everything.

Of course I was predisposed to being sad, and Setsuko (the little girl) reminded me slightly of my girlfriend in the Spanish dub (slightly similar voice, and she has a habit of behaving childishly in a way very similar to Setsuko), but man did it hit hard. I don't know, I think it's partly to the dubbing that I could connect a lot with the characters, but I felt profoundly sad. In a slightly good way, if there is any.

So, I know some people around here have seen it. Is it really so sad or is it me?

Also, have you read the novel upon which it is based? I don't know if I will anytime soon. Is it any good?

Now I want to watch other movies by this Isao Takahata guy, and by Studio Ghibli in general (they just released My Neighbor Totoro in theaters here!)

PS: please forgive the awful English in this post. I'm tired right now and I can't even re-read what I wrote.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

(they just released My Neighbor Totoro in theaters here!)
Wah? If that's the case, we HAVE to go see it.

tegid

tegid

Well then, we will :)

(Now please stop posing in my thread, you are making it lame. Well not yet. I'll leave it at less cool for now)

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Yeah, but I don't cry at movies. And I have read the book, because I'm cooler than you.

Chibibar

It is pretty sad but a good movie to watch. I have been trying to get my hand on a copy of live action version.

My wife refuse to watch that again cause she will baw in the whole movie.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Man, everyone kept telling me how sad this was, but it didn't do much to me. It was sad, but I can't really get emotional about a cartoon.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Man, everyone kept telling me how sad this was, but it didn't do much to me. It was sad, but I can't really get emotional about a cartoon.
That's because YOU HAVE NO SOUL.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Oh, God, that movie ripped me apart. :waah:

Chibibar

That's because YOU HAVE NO SOUL.[/QUOTE]

well. I never let the medium of the presentation effect my judgment. You be surprise there are a lot of good movies that are not real life. Many animation can have emotional moment if done right.

but some may have a block since it is not real life :)

chakz

Wow, really? Interesting. I've always believed that if presented the right way, you can tell a good story through any medium. I'm pretty sure that the animators behind grave of fireflies are some of the best. ( I should note that I'm not going to watch this movie because I'm not fond of depressing movies) But I never took into account someone's predisposition towards a medium affecting their ability to relate to a story.

That is worth keeping in mind.

I believe most of us were probably raised on a healthy diet of Disney movies, Saturday morning cartoons, and anime, so were used to relating to cartoon characters. Did you not watch cartoons when you were younger? Or at a certain age did you simply feel that "They were for children".

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Drawn_inward:

That movie didn't effect me, it was just actors.

That book didn't effect me, it was just text.

etc, etc, etc.

Bowielee

Bowielee

This was one of the movies that I watched shortly after getting into anime. I totally bawwwed at this movie.

Chibibar

I have to admit that I did bawwwed at the movie

even when you watch it and you hated the guy for being such a dick but his sister..... :( of course the ending was pretty touching too

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Drawn_Inward: Doesn't cry at.....

Covar

Covar

At some point I will see this. Can't be much more depressing than Awakenings

Piotyr

Piotyr

Drawn_Inward: Doesn't cry at.....

I'll be honest, I got more emotional at the end of the 7-leaf clover episode. Don't know why.

jasonisgreat

There have only been two instances where an anime broke me down.

This movie was one. The other?

Hughes dying in Fullmetal Alchemist. Not a crying break down, but there was a tear that fell down my face.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

There have only been two instances where an anime broke me down.

This movie was one. The other?

Hughes dying in Fullmetal Alchemist. Not a crying break down, but there was a tear that fell down my face.
Oh god... and with his kid not understanding what was going on? That was fucking terrible. I didn't cry, but I almost did.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Oh hey, if your'e going to spoiler a movie/tv series, at least write what the spoiler origin is about ABOVE it, I had no idea that was going to be about FMA, a series I haven't seen yet.

Steven Soderburgin

Drawn_inward:

That movie didn't effect me, it was just actors.

That book didn't effect me, it was just text.

etc, etc, etc.
lol

Chibibar

Oh hey, if your'e going to spoiler a movie/tv series, at least write what the spoiler origin is about ABOVE it, I had no idea that was going to be about FMA, a series I haven't seen yet.
heh.. I think that is a good rule of thumb :) I will try to do that next time (I know that wasn't aim at me for this post, but I just want to mention it is a good rule of thumb)