Export thread

Hackintosh me!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I'm looking for a new notebook. Nothing too fancy, mainly for surfing, tweeting, and chatting when I'm away from home base (and to while away the deadest of the dead hours on the overnight shifts).

The main thing I want to attempt with one is to hackintosh it. No way in hell am I going to spend an extra $500-$1000 on Apple hardware because some Steve Jobs fairy dust was sprinkled on it.

The prime candidates are a couple of Dell netbooks. The Mini 9 and the Mini 10v are said to be the easiest and most compatible to hackintosh. They are both discontinued by Dell, but are still available elsewhere.

Beyond that, I'm trying to set a limit of around $500 for a full notebook. Any suggestions from the HF hive mind as to the likeliest of candidates to start with?

drifter

drifter

Not for hackintosh, but a pretty good deal on a decent laptop is available here. Main thing to me is it has good battery life (advertised as 12 hrs, but realistically more like 9), but some people hate the keyboard due to the numeric keypad.

Specs for ASUS UL50AG-RSTBK:

• Intel Core 2 Duo SU7300 1.3GHz Processor
  • 3MB Level 2 Cache, 800MHz FSB
  • 4GB DDR2 800MHz SDRAM
  • 320GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
  • 15.6″ 16:9 1366×768 LED Backlight Display
  • Integrated 0.3MP Webcamera
  • DVD±R/RW Dual-Layer Drive
  • Intel GMA X4500MHD
  • Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN
  • 10/100 Base-T Ethernet LAN
  • SRS Premium Sound Altec Lansing Built-in speakers and microphone
  • 5-in-1 Card Reader SD, MMC, xD, MS, MS-PRO
  • Ports: 3 x USB 2.0, RJ-45 (LAN), Headphone-out, Microphone-in, VGA, HDMI
  • Dimensions (WxDxH): 15.4 x 10.4 x 0.6-1.05 inches
  • Weight: 5.07 pounds

PatrThom

PatrThom

I wish I could help you reach your stated goal. But I can't. ;)

--Patrick

Element 117

I wish I could help you reach your stated goal. But I can't. ;)

--Patrick
*consolation beer!*

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I noticed that eBay has 3 or 4 auctions for a Mini 10v that has already been hackintoshed.

wana10

check this chart out
Building a Hackintosh? There's a netbook compatibility chart for that!

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

better chart here

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

no second link...hmm try again? Mac OS X Netbook Compatibility Chart

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

This'll have to wait a while. Funds need to be diverted for a replacement desktop. Mine died as I was installing the Kalyway 10.5.2 OSX disc. Just enough works to make you think it's recoverable, but in the end no keyboard, mouse, or working video card (I get the blue hp screen right before boot, but I can't get to the bios).

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Well smurf. I was able to get a great deal of an Acer Aspire 5780 for nearly $200 off list, but it was just in time for my manager to have all she could take of the other two kids ignoring their duties in favor of laptop playing and TV watching, so she's banned laptops for everyone. Once those two are gone she may relax the ban. I get my work done *first*.