Export thread

Halforums Secret Santa 2010 - Discussion herein

strawman

strawman

This is just to get people started thinking about it and discuss. The last one seemed to go pretty well, though there were some very long shipping times, so it might be good to start a bit earlier than mid-November.

The 2009 Halforums Secret Santa thread may provide some insight as to how it went last time.

Think about the following:

- What went well?
- What sucked?
- What rules should be changed/tweaked/removed/added?
- When should we start getting people to participate, when should we cut off accepting new participants, when should we have deadlines for shipping gifts?
- Last year people pretty much announced themselves to their recipient - did you like that, or do you want to try having a completely secret santa this year (ie, you can guess, but you may never know who sent you your gift)?

It turns out it was a lot more work to administer than I expected, and I didn't do a great job. My preference is that someone else lead the charge this year, though I'm willing to do it again if no one steps forward.

Anyway, discuss away!

Gusto

Gusto

I'd be down, again.

Regarding the anonymity, it's kinda hard. I mean, I had no idea who was sending me something for Secret Santa until I got the package one morning with HowDroll's name and address on the billing receipt. We can try to keep it a secret, of course, I just don't see how it can be done too much better.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

All in all, I think the Secret Santa worked quite well, save for some late shipping times.

As for deadlines, there's bound to be a good deal of mail going about at Christmas time, so I think it's reasonable to give the gift time to arrive until early January.

I personally liked guessing and knowing who my Secret Santa was. Of course, I also liked how the recipient wore my gift, hee hee ^^

Also, I think it would be a good idea for people to post 'wish lists', you know, things they would enjoy or could use as gifts go. Or heck, even their sizes if they wish for funny shirts and stuff like that.

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

Also, count me in for this year!

phil

phil

I still don't know who my Santa was and it's driving me insaaaaaaaaaain!

Or maybe I just forgot.

Fuck ok, what is reality?

I don't think I ever found out. Yes. This is truth, I think.

I liked it last year. Hopefully I'll have a bit more money so I can send out the best presents again and keep my title as king Santa.

Null

Null

I'd like to get in on this. If nothing else, I can probably MAKE a gift that the person will hopefully like.

KCWM

KCWM

im in again

Tress

Tress

I didn't participate last year but I would like to get in on this now. Or am I too much of a lurker?

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I didn't participate last year but I would like to get in on this now. Or am I too much of a lurker?
Personally I wouldn't mind seeing you hug more faces ;) I like the cut of your jib.

strawman

strawman

Last time the rules of inclusion were:

To keep things fair, only those with a join date earlier than April 15 of this year and more than a handful of posts will be allowed to participate for obvious reasons. If you would like to participate and don't fall under the requirements then you will just have to wait until next year. The final say of who can join this activity will be entirely up to the mods so there may be exceptions, but the final word is final. Don't complain if special dispensation is not made for you. This goes for those who may be disincluded as well.
Under that criteria you'd be more than welcome. No one has asked that it be changed, so it'll probably be the same this time around.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I didn't get to participate, but it was fun to watch it unfold. I won't have a job again until (hopefully) January, so I don't know if I can do it this year either... but it seems to have gone well. :)

strawman

strawman

I didn't get to participate, but it was fun to watch it unfold. I won't have a job again until (hopefully) January, so I don't know if I can do it this year either... but it seems to have gone well. :)
But you promised! It's right there in page number mumble mumble of last year's thread!

I've been reading through the old thread to see if anything obvious should be changed, and I'm being reminded how much fun it was, now I'm getting excited about it again.

Remember that your gift can be home made - I'm sure a Cajungal song would rock anyone's christmas. The point of this whole thing is to have fun, which is why spending limits are low and home made gifts are allowed (even encouraged) - everyone should be able to participate if they want to. I couldn't possibly buy what I was given last year (painting by ElJuski, currently my avatar), but I'd be surprised if the gift I bought and gave was still being used. I'm considering doing a homemade gift this time...

The spending limit is an upper limit. Some successful gifts last year were small trinkets, candies, etc with a very local flavor.

BErt

I'd also like to join in this year. I was going to last year and then thought "nah, I'll start posting more and do it next time"...i then promptly went back into lurk mode. But I did follow along in the thread and it looked like a lot of fun.

Cajungal

Cajungal

That's true. And it wouldn't be that big a deal to make some sweets like I did for Kevin and my British friends. I always do that around Christmas anyway...

Ok yeah. :) I'll do it.

Tress

Tress

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing you hug more faces ;) I like the cut of your jib.[/QUOTE]

Oh? You busy tonight?

:eyebrows:

LittleSin

LittleSin

I'm so in.

This time Im hoping I can get the gender of my Santee right.

Hylian

Hylian

I am definitely in cause lasts years was so much fun

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I'll do it again, had fun doing it, and still have one of the gifts right here on my desk.

No much chance of having the international shipping kept "secret" to the recipient, at least last year Amazon wouldn't accept a nickname in shipper with my card info to compare to.

Shakey

Shakey

I would be up for it again. I had fun with it last year. I say keep the givers secret until the person recieves their gift. Have people include their name with the gift.

Gusto

Gusto

And it wouldn't be that big a deal to make some sweets like I did for Kevin and my British friends.
Om nom nom.

I would be up for it again. I had fun with it last year. I say keep the givers secret until the person recieves their gift. Have people include their name with the gift.
I seem to remember telling you to wear your hat with gusto. If that didn't give it away, well then...

Cajungal

Cajungal

Glad you liked em! :p You'd better pray I draw your name this year!

....I'll still send you some even if you don't. ^_^

Gusto

Gusto

Glad you liked em! :p You'd better pray I draw your name this year!

....I'll still send you some even if you don't. ^_^
Expect something in the mail, yourself. :)

tegid

tegid

I say only forbid revealing the name before the person receives their gift, but do not regulate this further: the name can be on the package, or it can be a guessing game, or whatever.

darkangel6988

I'd like to join in ....I'm nwe to it and havent been around much since I got a job but I'd love to partake in secret santa :)

Piotyr

Piotyr

I am intrigued by this discussion heroin.

I am also interested in participating this year.

gargoyle_eva

gargoyle_eva

If I promise to be a good boy, and post lots more so I'm not a lurker will secret santa bring me anything?? Please oh please oh please!
And I think A good way would be to organise it would be to have a seperate thread with just the participants posting relevant info(ie, sex, country, shirt size, and a few interests/hobbies/gift ideas to help out the clueless), so once we have our names we can go and check out the basic info on them. Plus still have this thread for all the guessing games and other related discussion.

Chibibar

But you promised! It's right there in page number mumble mumble of last year's thread!

I've been reading through the old thread to see if anything obvious should be changed, and I'm being reminded how much fun it was, now I'm getting excited about it again.

Remember that your gift can be home made - I'm sure a Cajungal song would rock anyone's christmas. The point of this whole thing is to have fun, which is why spending limits are low and home made gifts are allowed (even encouraged) - everyone should be able to participate if they want to. I couldn't possibly buy what I was given last year (painting by ElJuski, currently my avatar), but I'd be surprised if the gift I bought and gave was still being used. I'm considering doing a homemade gift this time...

The spending limit is an upper limit. Some successful gifts last year were small trinkets, candies, etc with a very local flavor.[/QUOTE]

I'm still waiting on my Chicken for two years now from Cajungal ;)

I would like to participate this year.

strawman

strawman

If I promise to be a good boy, and post lots more so I'm not a lurker will secret santa bring me anything?? Please oh please oh please!
And I think A good way would be to organise it would be to have a seperate thread with just the participants posting relevant info(ie, sex, country, shirt size, and a few interests/hobbies/gift ideas to help out the clueless), so once we have our names we can go and check out the basic info on them. Plus still have this thread for all the guessing games and other related discussion.
Sure, join in!

I'm going to let this discussion thread sit around for a week or so, then I'll create a new thread with the rules, the official, "Here's how to sign up..." information, and the timeline. It will also be the place to put hints at what you like. I'd like to give people two or more weeks to sign up since there are a few long-timers that only come by a few times a month that might've participated last time if they knew about it long enough in advance. I'd then like everyone to know their recipient at the beginning of November so that long shipping times can still arrive by Christmas - hopefully missing the big Christmas customs/shipping rush/mess that affected a few people last time.

Shakey

Shakey

I seem to remember telling you to wear your hat with gusto. If that didn't give it away, well then...
You were an easy one to figure out. It had your name on the packing slip. :p

nfldraftman

CincyGuy

I would also like to participate if I qualify. Life has been rather tumultuous lately, and this might be the high point of my holidays...

David

David

I *might* be able to participate this year, as I may or may not be getting a check at the beginning of october.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

One way or another, I'll participate in it this year... I remember being bummed because I joined around the end of it last year, and thought it was a pretty cool thing to do - you don't hear of too many forums doing stuff like that (or at least, I don't... *grins*)

LittleSin

LittleSin

Penny Arcade forums does it every year.

Some times they get gifts that are NUTS. Like whole new 360s/PS3s or plane tickets and shit. It's amazing.

Espy

Espy

I am, as always, down like a clown.

drifter

drifter

For a split-second, I thought you wrote "I am, as always, down with the clown," and I felt sad because then I would have had to hate you forever.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

For a split-second, I thought you wrote "I am, as always, down with the clown," and I felt sad because then I would have had to hate you forever.[/QUOTE]

Terrik

Terrik

Good God, it's almost that time again. I'd want to do it again, sure

Wahad

Wahad

Didn't join in last year, but what the hey, why not. Sign me up, chief.

drifter

drifter

For a split-second, I thought you wrote "I am, as always, down with the clown," and I felt sad because then I would have had to hate you forever.[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Mmm yeah, secret santas. Mmmmmm

Rob King

Rob King

I'd definitely be in, but this year I'm going to be in Nepal, which makes shipping difficult both ways. That said, I like to think that also guarantees a neat present for whoever my gift-ee ends up being.

Also ... who had me last year? I'm still curious. It must have gotten lost in the mail. I'm not worried about that, but I am curious who got me.

strawman

strawman

I'd definitely be in, but this year I'm going to be in Nepal, which makes shipping difficult both ways. That said, I like to think that also guarantees a neat present for whoever my gift-ee ends up being.

Also ... who had me last year? I'm still curious. It must have gotten lost in the mail. I'm not worried about that, but I am curious who got me.
Yeah, I never got around to "closing out" the last one to make sure everyone sent/received/reported on their gift. I need to do that so people who did not send a gift last time don't participate this time. There were a few people that ran into shipping and customs problems, but if I recall they communicated with their recipients and everything was squared away. When I go through it I'll let you know.

Covar

Covar

I'm definitely in. I really enjoyed it last year, and I enjoy giving gifts to people.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

If my excitement for this could be measured in colors, I'd be a rainbow.

Terrik

Terrik

And I'd radiate ultraviolet light.

Chad Sexington

Garbledina

I forget who I sent my gift to. I also don't know if they ever received it. :/

Espy

Espy

I forget who I sent my gift to. I also don't know if they ever received it. :/
Oh I got your box of "recycled" condoms.

I did not use them despite your note telling me you knew that they were 100% effective.

fade

fade

You know how to recycle condoms, right? (you turn them inside out and shake the fuck out of them)

Also, on that lovely note, I'll participate. Who wants an autographed copy of Fade?

*cricket, cricket*

Okay, fine, I'll buy something.

tegid

tegid

If we both participate and you're my secret santa, that'd be a nice present, if you print the comic... (Or do you have it printed already?)

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I can't wait to get started on this :3

Kovac

Kovac

I'm keen as long as no one has a problem with me being in New Zealand :)

Here is a map if needed

gargoyle_eva

gargoyle_eva

A kiwi. Hey cuzzy bru, if I'm your secret santa sind me some fush and chups, with an ice cold waikato draught hey bru!

strawman

strawman

Well, no one has come forward to run this thing, and no one has asked that the rules/format/etc change.

So in a week or less I'll go ahead and start it off with a new thread.

Kovac

Kovac

A kiwi. Hey cuzzy bru, if I'm your secret santa sind me some fush and chups, with an ice cold waikato draught hey bru!
Sweet as bru

I'll pack up some stubbies and send them your way

Jay

Jay

I had a good time with it. I'd be in for sure.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Dudes! It's November!

Are we doin' this? :D

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

It take a little while for things to get overseas, so we need to get things rolling, or at least paddling along our little river here.

Cajungal

Cajungal

If there is any any any way at all that I could be given someone who's not overseas, that would be great. Postage for two international gifts last year kinda kicked my ass.

David

David

I can officially be in, as well!

Terrik

Terrik

Yeah if we are doing this, we should do this soon. Barring me getting the great invader to the north, anyone I get is getting an overseas package and that takes time.

Kovac

Kovac

Indeed.

Shipping takes time when carried by Waka

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I'm in as well.

strawman

strawman

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm on it. Please to be waiting for the next official sign-up/rules thread.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm on it. Please to be waiting for the next official sign-up/rules thread.
First Lady Puffinstuff is a Christmas hack? Am I doing this right? Oh, forget it.

Jay

Jay

Can we settle on a initial list and set a time on entry? People need to be validated to make sure they'll really participate.

I don't remember who got me last year anymore but they were awesome and still wear the t-shirts!

linglingface

linglingface

This sounds so fun! I'm so new though and don't know anyone so I'll have to pass this time, sadly.

tegid

tegid

Don't let that stop you! If you are lucky your secret santee will have a wishlist :p If not, PM's to other users can help a lot.

Gusto

Gusto

I'm already putting a list together. :p

strawman

strawman

This sounds so fun! I'm so new though and don't know anyone so I'll have to pass this time, sadly.
Chances are good it'll happen again next year. The April 15th join date and 20+ post cutoff is meant to draw a line in the sand that essentially says, "as a forum we trust you to do what you say you're gonna do." I don't think that's going to be a problem, but I also don't want to cause a problem with other users that don't meet the cutoff that might want to participate.

But there is a way - if you want to participate, you just gotta get most of the other participants to tell me that they want an exception for you. PM the other participants and have them PM me with, "I want you to make an exception to the cutoff for heatherling and let her participate in HFSS2010."

This goes for anyone else that doesn't meet the cutoff and still wants to participate. Alternately I implicitly trust the judgment of the moderators, so you might appeal to them instead.

Hylian

Hylian

Chances are good it'll happen again next year. The April 15th join date and 20+ post cutoff is meant to draw a line in the sand that essentially says, "as a forum we trust you to do what you say you're gonna do." I don't think that's going to be a problem, but I also don't want to cause a problem with other users that don't meet the cutoff that might want to participate.

But there is a way - if you want to participate, you just gotta get most of the other participants to tell me that they want an exception for you. PM the other participants and have them PM me with, "I want you to make an exception to the cutoff for heatherling and let her participate in HFSS2010."

This goes for anyone else that doesn't meet the cutoff and still wants to participate. Alternately I implicitly trust the judgment of the moderators, so you might appeal to them instead.[/QUOTE]

Message sent