Happy Face - 22" lcd monitor given to me - Sad Face - Dvi no worky

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Matt²

I was given a 22" widescreen Sceptre lcd monitor today.. It didn't power up. A few weeks ago I spent a happy few days tearing apart lcd monitors and learning how to fix them, so I was ecstatic to receive this one today, and promptly went to work tearing it apart. It has VGA, DVI, HDMI as well as audio in and out with small speakers in the corners. I get it all done, replacing 2 1000uf 25v capacitors and fire it up. VGA works, sweet! So I go to hook it up to the DVI port on my video card.

Nothing. Blank screen. Source button? Vga works, but DVI and the HDMI Digital, don't.
I tore it apart again (after swapping first cables then going to a second computer to verify) to make sure everything was still good, and I could not find any other blown capacitors on either the power board or the display board. =-( ... at least it works for VGA mode, and since I can't sell it, I brought it home but I'm debating if I want to swap out a currently working 19" DVI for a 22" widescreen VGA?

I think if I could find the corresponding display board, I could easily swap it out, but I dunno if Sceptre would sell those separately? I briefly checked ebay but didn't find a part..

oh the model number is X22WG-Gamer. Anyone else have a Sceptre monitor?

---------- Post added at 01:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 AM ----------

hmm.. apparently I'm not the only one with DVI problems http://www.pcworld.com/shopping/reviews/prtprdid,28505645-sortby,retailer/reviews.html

M

Matt²

right..well short of replacing every single small capacitor on the display board, there's not much else I can do - it appears to be a chip problem. At least the VGA side works pretty well, and Doctor Who looks AWESOME in widescreen VGA hidef! :D

.. gonna have to look up lemons to avoid when I buy a widescreen lcd..

Status
Not open for further replies.