Harbin Ice Festival! (Lots O' Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the last couple weeks, I've ventured out of Tianjin in search of a new job. My old contract in Tianjin ended, I had to look for a new job as quickly as possible, as my visa in China expires on the 25th of februrary, and without a new job, I'd be forced out of the country. Since I had a couple offers from schools in Northeast China (Shenyang, Changchun, Harbin), I thought it was a good idea to take my girlfriend amd simply go to the schools in all 3 capital cities and check them out myself since 1. I don't trust anything they tell me without seeing it for myself and 2. I wanted a short vacation and I've always wanted to visit the region.

What I'd like to share you guys in particular was the Ice lantern festival in Harbin, China. Harbin is in Heilongjiang province (the most northeast province) and it's damned cold (one evening I was there, it was -30*C). Thankfully, the people of Harbin make use of it, and every year skilled ice sculptures of all sorts from many countries come out and make cool (lawl) things out of ice and snow. You will notice most pictures were taken at night, because that's the real time to see them since they light up the ice sculptures for double the fun. Here's what I saw

This was a really cute fox. Also, please pretend you never saw me wearing that hat. It was not worn willingly.

As you can see why.

This is supposed to be Winnie the Pooh's house

This is the gate to the park with the really large ice and snow sculptures

Ice Chess set! (unlit)

Ice Chess set! (lit!)

More foxes:

After the sun goes down, its fun time

We sat on a Yak..or something. I think it's a yak. I have no idea

These things were friggin huge

They even had little incense altars in front of them too

And this...this wonderful blue ice slide (part of it shown) is the largest ice slide in the world, and it was fast. And scary.

It was fairly cold that evening

D

darkangel6988

Wow those pics are stunning ! Wish I could have seen them too. WE have an ice festival in Quebec city but it's nothing like that. That's awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.