Export thread

Hard Drive Disappearing?

Espy

Espy

So last night at band practice my second hard drive just up and took a walk. I got the traditional OS X message "this device was not properly blahblahblah" and then BAM it was just... gone. Maybe out for ice cream? No idea.
So I restarted this morning and it was there. It's there right now. Taunting me with it's disappearing act.

For those that might not remember, I put a second HD in my old optical drive slot using a OWC bracket mount thing they had. It's that hard drive. So it's less than half a year old? It seems to be fine now. I basically just keep media on it. I'm listening to iTunes right now and it's fine.

Any ideas oh tech wizards of Halforums?

strawman

strawman

Don't rely on it. Other than that, wait for the inevitable failure and save up your monies.

Espy

Espy

Seriously? I just got it in April! Should I call OWC and get a new one from them? Thats not an acceptable life span.

strawman

strawman

You can call them and ask for a replacement, but in my experience if it's currently working, they won't do much, except perhaps run diagnostics.

Alternately, take it back to the place you bought it, tell them it doesn't work, and get a new one.

Chances are it was a fluke. If it happens again, then it's a problem you'll have to solve. But until it happens, just don't let your life/gig depend on it too heavily.

Jay

Jay

Maybe it didn't like what it was hearing and bailed.

Espy

Espy

Ah snap I just got served.

fade

fade

magic.jpg

Espy

Espy

It might be magic. Kind of shitty magic though.

strawman

strawman

PatrThom

PatrThom

Excessive power draw caused it to drop? Wouldn't be the first time I've heard of it happening, especially if you had multiple USB/FW devices attached.

--Patrick

Espy

Espy

Excessive power draw caused it to drop? Wouldn't be the first time I've heard of it happening, especially if you had multiple USB/FW devices attached.

--Patrick
That sounds possible but I've been doing it for the last 5 or 6 months with no issues... I'll try again at practice tomorrow night and see what it does.