Export thread

Hats off during God Bless America?

Mathias

Mathias

So this has been bugging me since I went to a Pens/Islanders hockey game recently. Coming back to my seat from the bathroom, during intermission some high school choir was singing God Bless America. I had on my trusty Penguins hat walking in, and immediately some old codger points at it indicating he wants me to take it off because of the song.

He goes, "this ain't Pittsburgh, this is America - take off your hat".

Realize that I had just walked back in, so I had no idea what was going on. So I reach for my hat, but then it hits me. I don't have to do shit for this song.

I tell him to fuck off, it's not the national anthem. The guy stares daggers at me and calls me shit like communist and Nazi. I flipped him the bird, tell him that Pittsburgh is more American a city than Long Island could ever hope to be, and went to my seat.

Really? Do we really have to prove our fucking loyalty to America at every whim and song? Personally, I think taking off your hat during anything other than the National Anthem or Taps is disrespectful to the gesture and symbolism behind doing it for those songs. God Bless America is just a damn song. What's next? Taking off your hat and placing it over your heart for a rendition of Yankee Doodle?

Fucking over patriotic zealous morons...
Added at: 00:30

Gusto

Gusto

I'm with you on this one. And I'm one of those guys who will actually sing along to O Canada at a sporting event.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Take off your hat during "Born in the USA".

Mathias

Mathias

Take off your hat during "Born in the USA".
Booowwwwn in da USA.

Krisken

Krisken

It's not the National Anthem. Fuck that guy.

Gusto

Gusto

Yeah, forget that clown! Was he also berating everyone else around him?!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

You only take off your hat when...

- Your in a church/mosque/synagogue/place of worship (unless it's a yahmmicca or other required headgear)
- Your National Anthem or the Anthem of another country is playing
- At a funeral
- At dinner (and at the table) in someone's home

Any other time? They can go fuck themselves.

Wasabi Poptart

As far as I know, you didn't need to remove your hat unless the flag was being presented. Otherwise, it was not the national anthem and the old guy was picking on you for liking a suck ass team (GO FLYERS! - Nah I can't even pretend that I am paying attention to hockey).

Cajungal

Cajungal

That's silly.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

Yeah the Pittsburgh comment takes some of the edge off his argument.

I'm of the opinion that patriotism, while good, is currently a little overboard. It's been almost 10 years since 9/11. Can we please go back to singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" during the 7th-inning stretch again?

On the way to work there's an office building that always has the flag in front of the building flying at half-mast. ALWAYS. Kinda diminishes the meaning of the gesture when you ALWAYS do it.

Mathias

Mathias

I don't know what he really meant about the Pittsburgh comment. Pittsburgh is pretty much the definition of blue-collar America.

Terrik

Terrik

And I was born there, so that makes it more awesome.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Wait a tick, Pittsburg ain't a part of America?

Huh.

Gusto

Gusto

Pittsburgh recently declared sovereignty.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I join you in saying fuck that guy.

Neon Pirate

Neon Pirate

You only take off your hat when...

- Your in a church/mosque/synagogue/place of worship (unless it's a yahmmicca or other required headgear)
- Your National Anthem or the Anthem of another country is playing
- At a funeral
- At dinner (and at the table) in someone's home

Any other time? They can go fuck themselves.
In the senile codger's defense it is probably too shriveled to reach, much like his mind and manners apparently are. But I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment and Ashburner thanks for posting the proper etiquette!

Cajungal

Cajungal

They don't play "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" at the 7th inning stretch?! BAH. See, what I get tired of is having two patriotic songs in a row at football games. It's the anthem and one other one that I can't remember right now. You watch the players getting antsy, and of course, the singer freaking drags it out and can't just pick a damn note to stay on. Then the song becomes more about "look at how good I am" than expressing their love for America anyway. Let's just pick one song of tribute and stick with it.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

In the NHL you only have to pay proper tribute to God Bless America when the game is being played in Philadelphia.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

If your at a parade and the flag passes by your suppose to remove your hat or salute if your military

Null

Null

They don't play "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" at the 7th inning stretch?! BAH. See, what I get tired of is having two patriotic songs in a row at football games. It's the anthem and one other one that I can't remember right now. You watch the players getting antsy, and of course, the singer freaking drags it out and can't just pick a damn note to stay on. Then the song becomes more about "look at how good I am" than expressing their love for America anyway. Let's just pick one song of tribute and stick with it.
Some teams do play Take Me Out to the Ballgame, some don't. It's pretty idiosyncratic. I'm pretty sure the Cubs do. I only remember that one because I think they were playing the Yankees in interleague play and a very drunk William Petersen (Grissom from CSI) in the stands was given the microphone to sing it. He was enthusiastic and fortunately didn't try anything fancy.

Wasabi Poptart

Wait a tick, Pittsburg ain't a part of America?

Huh.
They seceded from the US and joined Canada. Better playoff chances that way?

Jay

Jay

What is a hat?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

What is a hat?
A hat is a device that is perched upon your head that conceals a flask of whisky.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

What is a hat?
It is like what Canada is to America.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

What is a hat?
How about I let a goofy song from a Care Bears movie tell you all about them:

Jay

Jay

My beautiful hair needs to be loose and free upon this world.

Espy

Espy

I only take my hat off to two songs:
"My Humps" and "Fergalicious".

Tress

Tress

Pittsburgh, long known as a haven for elitist-communist thought...

I love that the guy calls you a communist and a Nazi. Kudos to you for telling the old moron to go fuck himself.

Neon Pirate

Neon Pirate

In the NHL you only have to pay proper tribute to God Bless America when the game is being played in Philadelphia.
As it should be, HCGLNS, and in Kate we trust. We do, however also take off our hats to properly litter the ice for any Flyers hat trick!

Mathias

Mathias

Pittsburgh, long known as a haven for elitist-communist thought...

I love that the guy calls you a communist and a Nazi. Kudos to you for telling the old moron to go fuck himself.

Yeah, I sat down in my seat and went, "wait a tick?"

phil

phil

Some people will question your commitment if you were to hesitate to get on your knees and blow a guy dressed like Uncle Sam.

Personally, I don't get the whole taking off your hat thing. I do it anyway, but even if someone kept their hat on during the national anthem I wouldn't question their patriotism.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

As former military, Phil, I feel it would be like a slap in my face if you didn't take your hat off during the national anthem. On the same hand though I wouldn't say anything to you about it because that is your right not to do so and I respect that.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Some people will question your commitment if you were to hesitate to get on your knees and blow a guy dressed like Uncle Sam.
It's not gay if it's Uncle Sam.

Espy

Espy

Personally, I don't get the whole taking off your hat thing. I do it anyway, but even if someone kept their hat on during the national anthem I wouldn't question their patriotism.
It's just a custom from an older time that has stuck. It's a sign of respect, but honestly most people could never tell you why it's a sign of respect because most of them have no idea why. Myself included. It's just one of those customs. Like how we stone the person who loses the lottery every year.

Tress

Tress

A quick Google search revealed this:

The origins of this tradition happen to be the same as the origins of the tradition of saluting. Knights, wearing helmets that covered their heads, would typically lift their visors to show their faces to their monarchs and others as a sign of friendliness and possibly respect in some cases. The tradition of using ones right hand also comes from this. Most people are right handed and thus, if your right hand is exposed and busy lifting your visor, it can’t contain a weapon. This then is a sign symbolic of submission.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Places of worship, national anthems and generally being indoors. That's when I take off my hat.
Or, I would if I could find a bloody piece of headgear that would fit my oversized noggin. I hate seeing people in cool hats because I know I can never wear one :(

phil

phil

A quick Google search revealed this:

I like that half of humanities customs gestures evolved out of showing the guy next to you that you don't intend on killing him....for now.

Mathias

Mathias

It's just a custom from an older time that has stuck. It's a sign of respect, but honestly most people could never tell you why it's a sign of respect because most of them have no idea why. Myself included. It's just one of those customs. Like how we stone the person who loses the lottery every year.

LOL!

Espy

Espy

Man, I wondered if anyone was gonna catch that.

Emrys

Emrys

Places of worship, national anthems and generally being indoors. That's when I take off my hat.
Or, I would if I could find a bloody piece of headgear that would fit my oversized noggin. I hate seeing people in cool hats because I know I can never wear one :(
I'll make you a nifty hat from newspaper. I'll even colour it, if you like.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I too have a plus sized noggin, but I've always had luck finding large hats at The Village Hatshop. Tons of styles, and you can search by size.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Awww, thanks, Emrys, that's so sweet.
And thanks, Ash. But looking at the prices makes me balk a little; if I plan to cough up a good deal of money for a hat I want to try it on, too. To see if it fits, and to see if I look, at a bare minimum, okay in it.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I too have a plus sized noggin, but I've always had luck finding large hats at The Village Hatshop. Tons of styles, and you can search by size.
I can't even wear their 2x hats.
Added at: 22:30
I take that back, Sunbody hats come in an 8.

Mathias

Mathias

Awww, thanks, Emrys, that's so sweet.
And thanks, Ash. But looking at the prices makes me balk a little; if I plan to cough up a good deal of money for a hat I want to try it on, too. To see if it fits, and to see if I look, at a bare minimum, okay in it.

They range from 20-50. I think that's pretty reasonable. Hell, a good baseball cap is 35 bucks.
Added at: 18:12

Yeah, I think 8 is as high as most hats go without some special order shit.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

They have LOTS of hats, so you should be able to find something. And yes, they can be expensive but it's hard to find places that sell them in a larger size.

Mathias

Mathias

I guess what would help is to know what kind of hat styles you like. Baseball? Fedora? Newscap?

Big dudes tend to look good in fishing hats and newscaps.

Fedora's too...

Actually fuck it, NR. I want you to try your best to look like Brett Keisel.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I guess what would help is to know what kind of hat styles you like. Baseball? Fedora? Newscap?

I second the flat cap recommendation. I have an okay cotton one from Dorfman Pacific Company's Scala Classico line (3XL) and an excellent wool one from Dockers that both look great on me.

Then again, considering North's location, maybe an ushanka is more in line? :D

Mathias

Mathias

Best winter hat I own:

Canada eh...

Frank

Frankie Williamson

My winter uniform hat looks like that, only it's black leather and has the emblem on it.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Who the bloody hell is this Brett Keisel you speak of?
Added at: 01:57
I second the flat cap recommendation. I have an okay cotton one from Dorfman Pacific Company's Scala Classico line (3XL) and an excellent wool one from Dockers that both look great on me.

Then again, considering North's location, maybe an ushanka is more in line? :D

Did you just offer a Finn to wear a Soviet hat?
Also, no thanks. There's a reason why those hats are sometimes called karhunvittu ('bear pussy'). I'm imagining the smell after a winter or two will prove worthy of that name. Also, it's almost summer here so that's way too hot to wear.

phil

phil

They have sections for Indiana Jones hats, viking helmets, and top hats.

I can buy an indiana jones hat, and declare that my viking helmet belongs in a museum.

This is a thing I could do.

Baerdog

Baerdog

You need a friend wearing a Belloq hat to shout it too. That would be awesome.

drifter

drifter

Hell yeah

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Did you just offer a Finn to wear a Soviet hat?
I'm fairly certain there was no shortage of them lying around after the Winter War... well... as long as you didn't mind ones with a single bullet hole going through the front and back of them.

Wasabi Poptart

Yeah just look at how great George R. R. Martin looks in his fisherman's hat!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

He looks like pure AWESOME is how he looks.

figmentPez

figmentPez

He looks like pure AWESOME is how he looks.
Pure awesome is a cross between a Unix programmer and a sea captain?

bhamv3

bhamv3

Pure awesome is a cross between a Unix programmer and a sea captain?
"Arrr, this compiler be buggy, it is!"

Mathias

Mathias

fade

fade

"Arrr, this compiler be buggy, it is!"
"Arrr be a free statistical programming language."

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

You know what's scary? My dad has that exact same hat.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

God damn, I guess that's my future. I grow a beard exactly like that....

SIGH.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

So not only do people look like their pets, they start to look like their forum-mates? :Leyla:

Baerdog

Baerdog

You know what's scary? My dad has that exact same hat.
Well tell him to finish the dang book already.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

And Dom could cook like a sumbitch too...

I used to wonder why Dom started affecting an LA accent when he cooked on TV... then I heard some one call him Paul... wtf?

Covar

Covar

Just do me a favor and bend the bill and take off the labels before you wear it.

Dear douchebags,
keeping the stickers on your baseball cap doesn't make you look tough, it makes you look cheap.
signed,
A Baseball fan.